ORB for Python and PHP

Laszlo Nagy

We have a problem here. We have a website written in PHP. and many
programs written in Python. The communication between the components is
messy. os.system calls are mixed with popen, xml-rpc and others. We
would like to make it consistent and portable. We would like to use free
software. What are our options? I checked these:

- Bonobo is the most advanced, but it can only handle C language
- FNORB is good for Python, but not for PHP
- OmniORB would be very good for C and Python, but not PHP

There are others but they do not support both Python and PHP. Should I
implement my own ORB, or do you know a suitable solution?

Thank you,

Laszlo

Diez B. Roggisch

Laszlo said:
We have a problem here. We have a website written in PHP. and many
programs written in Python. The communication between the components is
messy. os.system calls are mixed with popen, xml-rpc and others. We
would like to make it consistent and portable. We would like to use free
software. What are our options? I checked these:

- Bonobo is the most advanced, but it can only handle C language
- FNORB is good for Python, but not for PHP
- OmniORB would be very good for C and Python, but not PHP

There are others but they do not support both Python and PHP. Should I
implement my own ORB, or do you know a suitable solution?

The whole purpose of an ORB ist that it is interoperable. So if you have
a good python orb (I personally prefer OmniORB), and a good one for PHP
- connect them.

I would suggest a consistent XMLRPC-interface though.

Diez

Laszlo Nagy

The whole purpose of an ORB ist that it is interoperable. So if you
have a good python orb (I personally prefer OmniORB), and a good one
for PHP - connect them.
Are all ORBs compatible with each other? I know that this is offtopic,
but do you know any ORB for PHP? I couldn't find any.
I would suggest a consistent XMLRPC-interface though.
Unfortunately, this would not be good. Sometimes we need to pass through
binary data (image file), do session management (which is hard to do
with xml-rpc, where each request is a new connection) and optimize speed
for communication when the parties are on the same machine.

Laszlo

Diez B. Roggisch

Laszlo said:
Are all ORBs compatible with each other? I know that this is offtopic,
but do you know any ORB for PHP? I couldn't find any.

As I said - that's the *purpose* of ORBs. It has taken a while, but
AFAIK by now CORBA2.3 is pretty stable.

What about this?

http://phporb.sourceforge.net/

I never used it though. PHP isn't to well suited for CORBA, due to the
request/response-cycle based architecture.
Unfortunately, this would not be good. Sometimes we need to pass through
binary data (image file), do session management (which is hard to do
with xml-rpc, where each request is a new connection) and optimize speed
for communication when the parties are on the same machine.

Then maybe thrift is for you. http://wiki.apache.org/thrift/ThriftGeneration

Diez