    implement my own ORB, or do you know a suitable solution?

    Thank you,

    Laszlo

    Laszlo Nagy, Dec 8, 2008

  2. Laszlo Nagy schrieb:
    > We have a problem here. We have a website written in PHP. and many
    > programs written in Python. The communication between the components is
    > messy. os.system calls are mixed with popen, xml-rpc and others. We
    > would like to make it consistent and portable. We would like to use free
    > software. What are our options? I checked these:
    >
    > - Bonobo is the most advanced, but it can only handle C language
    > - FNORB is good for Python, but not for PHP
    > - OmniORB would be very good for C and Python, but not PHP
    >
    > There are others but they do not support both Python and PHP. Should I
    > implement my own ORB, or do you know a suitable solution?

    The whole purpose of an ORB ist that it is interoperable. So if you have
    a good python orb (I personally prefer OmniORB), and a good one for PHP
    - connect them.

    I would suggest a consistent XMLRPC-interface though.

    Diez

    Diez B. Roggisch, Dec 8, 2008

  3. Laszlo Nagy

    Laszlo Nagy Guest

    >> There are others but they do not support both Python and PHP. Should
    >> I implement my own ORB, or do you know a suitable solution?

    > The whole purpose of an ORB ist that it is interoperable. So if you
    > have a good python orb (I personally prefer OmniORB), and a good one
    > for PHP - connect them.

    Are all ORBs compatible with each other? I know that this is offtopic,
    but do you know any ORB for PHP? I couldn't find any.
    > I would suggest a consistent XMLRPC-interface though.

    Unfortunately, this would not be good. Sometimes we need to pass through
    binary data (image file), do session management (which is hard to do
    with xml-rpc, where each request is a new connection) and optimize speed
    for communication when the parties are on the same machine.

    Laszlo

    Laszlo Nagy, Dec 9, 2008
  4. Laszlo Nagy schrieb:

    >>> There are others but they do not support both Python and PHP. Should
    >>> I implement my own ORB, or do you know a suitable solution?

    >> The whole purpose of an ORB ist that it is interoperable. So if you
    >> have a good python orb (I personally prefer OmniORB), and a good one
    >> for PHP - connect them.

    > Are all ORBs compatible with each other? I know that this is offtopic,
    > but do you know any ORB for PHP? I couldn't find any.

    As I said - that's the *purpose* of ORBs. It has taken a while, but
    AFAIK by now CORBA2.3 is pretty stable.

    What about this?

    http://phporb.sourceforge.net/

    I never used it though. PHP isn't to well suited for CORBA, due to the
    request/response-cycle based architecture.

    >> I would suggest a consistent XMLRPC-interface though.

    > Unfortunately, this would not be good. Sometimes we need to pass through
    > binary data (image file), do session management (which is hard to do
    > with xml-rpc, where each request is a new connection) and optimize speed
    > for communication when the parties are on the same machine.

    Then maybe thrift is for you. http://wiki.apache.org/thrift/ThriftGeneration

    Diez

    Diez B. Roggisch, Dec 9, 2008