ordered list (OL) tag with tables

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Arvind Ganesan, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. I am trying to have the first column of each row in my html table
    automatically numbered. But it is not working....my code looks like this:

    <ol>
    <li></li>
    row 1 column 2
    </ol>

    I anticipated that the code <li></li> will create a "1." and that I could
    use the same procedure for each of my rows and have my rows automatically
    numbered...but this isn't working. I just see a circular bullet symbol
    where I am expecting the "1.". What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks in advance,
    Arvind.

    Arvind Ganesan, Sep 6, 2003

  2. Arvind Ganesan wrote:

    > I am trying to have the first column of each row in my html table
    > automatically numbered. But it is not working....my code looks like this:
    > [snip bad HTML]
    > I anticipated that the code <li></li> will create a "1." and that I could
    > use the same procedure for each of my rows and have my rows automatically
    > numbered...but this isn't working. I just see a circular bullet symbol
    > where I am expecting the "1.". What am I doing wrong?

    You're inventing markup and expecting it to work. Use CSS autonumbering
    instead.

    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 6, 2003

  3. Arvind Ganesan

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > You're inventing markup and expecting it to work. Use CSS
    > autonumbering instead.

    Interesting! Do you have an example?
    Regards, Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 6, 2003
  4. Arvind Ganesan

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Nico Schuyt" <>
    writing in news:3f599b5d$0$28904$:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/generate.html#counters

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Sep 6, 2003
  5. Arvind Ganesan

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Adrienne wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Nico Schuyt" writing

    That's a very special monitor! Thought only witches used them.

    >> Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    >>> You're inventing markup and expecting it to work. Use CSS
    >>> autonumbering instead.

    >> Interesting! Do you have an example?

    > http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/generate.html#counters

    Thanks!

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 6, 2003
  6. Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > Adrienne wrote:
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Nico Schuyt" writing

    > That's a very special monitor!

    What is the resolution on it?

    playing://(nothing)

    Toby A Inkster, Sep 6, 2003
  7. Arvind Ganesan

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> Adrienne wrote:
    >>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Nico Schuyt" writing

    >> That's a very special monitor!

    > What is the resolution on it?

    Probably worse than my new 19" LCD. On the other hand, the viewing angle is
    360 degrees!
    It worries me however: this time she saw me writing. Who knows what she sees
    more.
    Cheers, Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 6, 2003
  8. Arvind Ganesan

    > Toby A Inkster wrote:
    >> Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >>> That's a very special monitor!

    >> What is the resolution on it?

    > Probably worse than my new 19" LCD. On the other hand, the viewing
    > angle is 360 degrees!
    > It worries me however: this time she saw me writing. Who knows what she
    > sees more.
    > Cheers, Nico

    Everything! And I'm gonna tell! ;-)

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Sep 6, 2003
  9. Arvind Ganesan

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Adrienne wrote:
    >> Toby A Inkster wrote:

    >>> What is the resolution on it?

    >> Probably worse than my new 19" LCD. On the other hand, the viewing
    >> angle is 360 degrees!
    >> It worries me however: this time she saw me writing. Who knows what
    >> she sees more.

    > Everything! And I'm gonna tell! ;-)

    Ah well, write a book about it. 50% of the profits for me.
    But I'm sure you're not aware of the bug in the older versions of crystal
    ball's: We all can see you too :) (Wow)
    Cheers, Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 6, 2003
  10. Arvind Ganesan

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Nico Schuyt" <>
    writing in news:3f5a2a2b$0$28909$:

    > Adrienne wrote:

    >>> Probably worse than my new 19" LCD. On the other hand, the viewing
    >>> angle is 360 degrees!
    >>> It worries me however: this time she saw me writing. Who knows what
    >>> she sees more.

    >> Everything! And I'm gonna tell! ;-)

    > Ah well, write a book about it. 50% of the profits for me.
    > But I'm sure you're not aware of the bug in the older versions of crystal
    > ball's: We all can see you too :) (Wow)
    > Cheers, Nico

    No, I'm using the newest .NET version of Crystal Ball 10.XX1 . It doesn't
    support position:fixed so I have to stand directly over it, on one foot
    only, and scratch my belly in a counter clockwise direction to see
    anything. The instruction manual says that for you to see me, you have to
    do a hand stand with only one hand, and one eye closed.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Sep 6, 2003
  11. Arvind Ganesan

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Adrienne wrote:

    > No, I'm using the newest .NET version of Crystal Ball 10.XX1 . It
    > doesn't support position:fixed so I have to stand directly over it,
    > on one foot only, and scratch my belly in a counter clockwise
    > direction to see anything. The instruction manual says that for you
    > to see me, you have to do a hand stand with only one hand, and one
    > eye closed.

    It works! (for a short time; I'm affraid I have to recover a few weeks from
    that exercise (neck injury)

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 6, 2003