Organizing apps on a web site

Dean

I have several ASP.NET applications that I want to put onto a new website.
Each app is currently its own solutions with it's own global.asax, etc..

What is the right way to deploy multiple asp.net applications onto a single
website? Does each one just go into a subordinate directory below the main
directory which is under wwwroot? Is there a problem with all of the
global.asax files?

Thanks,
Dean

Steve C. Orr, MCSD

If you're saying you want to copy all your apps to a single web server, then
your description of how to do it is correct. (And you'd also need to
configure each of the subdirectories (directly under wwwroot) as
applications in IIS.)

If you want to merge all your individual web applications into a single web
application then that would be much more complicated and you'd need to
manually merge the global.asax, web.config, and other such files.

Dean

Steve:
Since I said "website" and you said "web server" I just want to make sure we
are discussing the same thing...

I will have shared website at my web hoster (not a dedicated server). I
think that means that I get a virtual directory under my hosters wwwroot.
My directory will be named DeansWeb where I will have some intorductory html
pages. Below the DeansWeb directory I will have a subdirectory for each of
my ASP.Net apps.

Is that the right way to do it?
Thanks,
Dean

Steve C. Orr, MCSD

OIC what U mean now.
Well you'll have to talk to your web hoster to be sure, but generally you
pay for one web application and you get one web application.
If you determine its ok for your apps to all share the same Application
variables & such then you could merge them together, but you'll likely have
to do it the hard way.
I think you really need to understand more about what exactly a web
application is.
Here's more info:
http://www.igeek.com/articles/Web/WebApp.txt
http://www.boxesandarrows.com/archives/what_is_a_web_application.php
http://davenet.userland.com/2000/03/12/whatIsAWebApplication

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD

Dean

I read those three articles and they are very basic and of no technical use.
We are having a failure to communicate.

Let me try to communicate more clearly. My definition of a website, in IIS,
is that I get a Virtual Directory. I can have any number of ASPX pages,
HTML pages, and I can have a global.asax. Can I have more than one
global.asax in a hierarchy within an IIS virtual directory? In other words
can I have the following:
\wwwroot
\DeansWeb directory
default.aspx
\appone directory
appone.aspx
global.asax
\apptwo directory
apptwo.aspx
global.asax

In this example above I have two asp.net applications that coexist in one
website. For instance there are thousands of websites that have multiple
"applications." Etrade, for example has banking apps, trading apps, etc in
a single website.
Hope this is clearer,
Dean

Dean

Yes, I know that. But the question at the beginning of this thread was...

Can I have two web applications in a website?