    What we want to achieve is simply summarized as :

    Provide a Database abstraction so that one single coded C application can interface with a variety of production level databases (mostly MySQL / Oracle / PostgreSQL)

    Thank you in advance :)
    gvk, Jan 2, 2011

  2. On Jan 2, 9:52 pm, gvk <> wrote:

    > What we want to achieve is simply summarized as :
    >
    > Provide a Database abstraction so that one single coded C application can interface with a variety of production level databases (mostly MySQL / Oracle / PostgreSQL)

    That's conceptually quite easy.

    SQL is already an interface to databases. However there are several
    varieties around.

    So you need to define a thin layer over the top of it. Mostly the thin
    layer will just pass identical parameters to an SQL function, but you
    might need to take some functionality out. To target a different
    dialect of SQL, or an non-SQL database interface, rewrite the layer.
    Malcolm McLean, Jan 9, 2011