OS/2 C60 programs converted into MS windows programs?Information on OS/2 C60?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Coca, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. Coca

    Coca Guest

    Hello, all
    I am working on a project that needs to
    convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows programs. And I
    found it difficult to find useful information.
    Could somebody kindly help me ? any tips?web sites?

    1. How can I convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows
    programs?

    2.Where can I find information on OS/2 C60 ?any web
    sites...?

    3. What are the difference between variable types in OS/2
    and in MS windows?

    Any tips are appreciated.

    Coca
    Coca, Aug 20, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Coca <> wrote:

    >I am working on a project that needs to
    >convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows programs.

    I know this C standardization stuff has been going on for a while, but
    I didn't realise it was *that* old!

    -- Richard
    Richard Tobin, Aug 20, 2004

  3. Coca

    Aidan Grey Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 23:18:20 +0800, Coca wrote:

    >Hello, all
    >I am working on a project that needs to
    >convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows programs. And I
    >found it difficult to find useful information.
    >Could somebody kindly help me ? any tips?web sites?
    >
    >1. How can I convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows
    >programs?
    >
    >2.Where can I find information on OS/2 C60 ?any web
    >sites...?
    >
    >3. What are the difference between variable types in OS/2
    >and in MS windows?
    >
    >Any tips are appreciated.
    >
    >Coca

    What do you mean by C60? Do you refer to programs written using
    Microsoft C version 6.0?

    Aidan Grey
    Aidan Grey, Aug 21, 2004
  4. Coca

    Lorne Sunley Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:18:20 UTC, Coca <>
    wrote:

    > Hello, all
    > I am working on a project that needs to
    > convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows programs. And I
    > found it difficult to find useful information.
    > Could somebody kindly help me ? any tips?web sites?
    >
    > 1. How can I convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows
    > programs?
    >
    > 2.Where can I find information on OS/2 C60 ?any web
    > sites...?
    >
    > 3. What are the difference between variable types in OS/2
    > and in MS windows?
    >
    > Any tips are appreciated.
    >
    > Coca

    The MS C 6.0 compiler and the OS/2 C 6.0 compiler were both done by
    Microsoft. Perhaps there are switches for the current MS C compiler to
    work with the v6.0 code.

    Conversion of the system API calls will be most of the work. For that
    you will need the documentation for the 16 bit (probably) OS/2 API. I
    believe some of it can be found at http://hobbes.nmsu.edu

    --
    Lorne Sunley
    Lorne Sunley, Aug 21, 2004
  5. Coca

    Nitro Guest

    Hi,
    Similar questions as stated before me. Is this a command line program or a
    GUI, (or a driver)?

    If memory serves the MS C6.0 and the IBM C/2 V1.1 were mostly the same. For
    OS2 you needed the OS2 toolkit for GUI development and some other function
    headers etc. Most variable types were the same except those in the system
    API header files but this is more target OS than compilier related. I do
    remember the int type changed but I think that was in the Visualage C++
    compilier later (OS2 V2+.) You may find a copy of the compilier (with the
    docs) on eBay. (I still have the old IBM C/2 compilier loaded)

    If it is a COMMAND LINE 16 bit program it may run unchanged (binary exec
    compatable) in a windows (NT+) command shell.
    If you still need to compile it for windows I think you can just change the
    library includes at link time (ie: llibce vs ?)
    This depends on what libraries you installed with the compilier and if you
    chose a default library or not.
    (The C6.0 compilier was a DOS/OS2 cross compilier)

    If it is a GUI you will have a bit more work. On a simple GUI with a few
    buttons you may be able to copy the needed parts from the
    resource file (this is a text file .RC or .RES) and feed them into the new
    MSC compiler (Visual C++ 5/6? not sure of the newer versions.)
    For a more complex GUI (system timers, named pipes, threads, graphics coord
    X,Y direction, other API changes, etc) you will have a bit more work. Some
    functions are implemented differently and some not at all.

    If it is a DRIVER you should be able to reuse most of the base hardware code
    but a bit more work to match I/O API etc.

    Regards
    Bart

    Nitro, Aug 21, 2004
  6. Coca

    Coca Guest

    --

    Yes, it means Microsoft C version 6.0

    Coca, Aug 23, 2004
  7. Coca

    Coca Guest

    Thank you,Nitro,Lorne Sunley.
    It's really helpful to me

    --

    ÔÚ Sat, 21 Aug 2004 03:26:20 GMT ʱ, ¡¾ "Nitro"
    <nitro-57@no_spam_please_usa.net> ¡¿Ð´ÁË:

    Coca, Aug 23, 2004
  8. Coca

    Aidan Grey Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:04:14 +0800, Coca wrote:

    >--
    >

    >Yes, it means Microsoft C version 6.0
    >>

    >> What do you mean by C60? Do you refer to programs written using
    >>Microsoft C version 6.0?
    >>

    >>Aidan Grey

    For a C compiler that works under both OS/2 and Windows, check out
    the Open Watcom compiler at www.openwatcom.org.

    It may assist you in porting your program to Windows.

    Aidan Grey
    Aidan Grey, Aug 24, 2004