OS dependent

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Realos Osis, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. Realos Osis

    Realos Osis Guest

    Realos Osis, Dec 9, 2005

  2. Realos Osis <> wrote:

    > It is very much operating system dependent.

    What is? You've included no context with your message, so no one has
    a clue to whom you're speaking.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Dec 9, 2005

  3. Christopher Benson-Manica said:

    > Realos Osis <> wrote:
    >
    >> It is very much operating system dependent.

    > What is? You've included no context with your message, so no one has
    > a clue to whom you're speaking.

    That isn't true. Some people read Usenet using a threaded view. Others
    don't, of course. So, strictly, it is only *some* people don't have a clue
    to whom he's speaking. (Myself included, since I rarely bother to use
    threaded views.)

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
    Richard Heathfield, Dec 9, 2005
  4. In article <dncdbt$27i$-infra.bt.com>,
    Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    >Christopher Benson-Manica said:

    >> Realos Osis <> wrote:

    >>> It is very much operating system dependent.

    >> What is? You've included no context with your message, so no one has
    >> a clue to whom you're speaking.

    >That isn't true. Some people read Usenet using a threaded view. Others
    >don't, of course. So, strictly, it is only *some* people don't have a clue
    >to whom he's speaking. (Myself included, since I rarely bother to use
    >threaded views.)

    The original posting was not threaded. It isn't just a case of it
    being a reply to something that wasn't received: if you examine the
    reference anything.

    So this really is a case where unless you have read most postings and
    can figure out where the screen clearing reference fit into something,
    that you are highly unlikely to have any clue what the original poster
    of this thread was talking about.
    -- Christopher Priest
    Walter Roberson, Dec 9, 2005
  5. Realos Osis

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > Christopher Benson-Manica said:
    >
    >> Realos Osis <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> It is very much operating system dependent.

    >> What is? You've included no context with your message, so no one has
    >> a clue to whom you're speaking.

    > That isn't true. Some people read Usenet using a threaded view. Others
    > don't, of course. So, strictly, it is only *some* people don't have a clue
    > to whom he's speaking. (Myself included, since I rarely bother to use
    > threaded views.)

    In this case a threaded view does not help since the post from Realos
    Osis was done as the start of a new thread, not a reply to an existing
    message.
    --
    Flash Gordon
    Living in interesting times.
    Flash Gordon, Dec 9, 2005
  6. Flash Gordon said:

    > In this case a threaded view does not help since the post from Realos
    > Osis was done as the start of a new thread, not a reply to an existing
    > message.

    Oops. So it was. Perhaps I should have switched to threaded view before, or
    rather instead of, opening my mouth and inserting my foot.

    Richard Heathfield, Dec 9, 2005
  7. Realos Osis

    Default User Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote:

    > Christopher Benson-Manica said:
    >
    > > Realos Osis <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> It is very much operating system dependent.

    > > What is? You've included no context with your message, so no one
    > > has a clue to whom you're speaking.

    > That isn't true. Some people read Usenet using a threaded view.
    > Others don't, of course. So, strictly, it is only some people don't
    > have a clue to whom he's speaking. (Myself included, since I rarely
    > bother to use threaded views.)

    Or people who use threaded views but don't display previously read
    messages. I'm set to only show unread messages, so if the original and
    reply are from different "sessions" they don't show for me. I can
    switch the view on the fly, but I usually won't.

    Brian

    header.
    Default User, Dec 9, 2005
  8. Realos Osis

    Eric Sosman Guest

    [OT] Re: OS dependent

    Richard Heathfield wrote:

    > Flash Gordon said:
    >

    >>In this case a threaded view does not help since the post from Realos
    >>Osis was done as the start of a new thread, not a reply to an existing
    >>message.

    > Oops. So it was. Perhaps I should have switched to threaded view before, or
    > rather instead of, opening my mouth and inserting my foot.

    To help yourself remember, tie a string around your
    fing-- um, your toe.

    --
    Eric Sosman
    lid