os.path.walk() to get full path of all files

dude

My goal is create a list of absolute paths for all files in a given
directory (any number of levels deep).

root
----dir1
--------file1
--------file2
--------dir2
------------file3
--------dir3
-------------dir4
------------------file4
----file5

So the above would return:
[root/dir1/file1, root/dir1/file2, root/dir1/dir2/file3, etc...]

I've been trying different ways of using os.path.walk() for that, but
I can't find an elegant way. Anyone know of something simple to
accomplish that?

Alexander Kapps

My goal is create a list of absolute paths for all files in a given
directory (any number of levels deep).

root
----dir1
--------file1
--------file2
--------dir2
------------file3
--------dir3
-------------dir4
------------------file4
----file5

So the above would return:
[root/dir1/file1, root/dir1/file2, root/dir1/dir2/file3, etc...]

I've been trying different ways of using os.path.walk() for that, but
I can't find an elegant way. Anyone know of something simple to
accomplish that?

Try this:

file_list = []
for root, _, filenames in os.walk(root_path):
for filename in filenames:
file_list.append(os.path.join(root, filename))

for x in file_list:
print x

Benjamin Kaplan

awesome, that worked.  I'm not sure how the magic is working with your underscores there, but it's doing what I need.  thanks.
--

It's not magic at all. _ is just a variable name. When someone names a
variable _, it's just to let you know that they won't actually be

Laurent Claessens

file_list = []
for root, _, filenames in os.walk(root_path):
for filename in filenames:
file_list.append(os.path.join(root, filename))

What does the notation "_" stands for ? Is it a sort of /dev/null ?

I know that in the terminal it represents the last printed text.

Laurent

Tim Golden

file_list = []
for root, _, filenames in os.walk(root_path):
for filename in filenames:
file_list.append(os.path.join(root, filename))

What does the notation "_" stands for ? Is it a sort of /dev/null ?

I know that in the terminal it represents the last printed text.

It's a convention for saying "I don't really care about this
particular value which is returned from that function". You
could, at your whim, use "dontcare" or "x" or whatever.

TJG

Jussi Piitulainen