os.system help

Grzegorz Dostatni

Cheers.

In short ghostscript is not installed by default on windows. You can
install it yourself (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/get814.htm)
and install. You could also try to package it in your program somehow (for
example including the binary in your program directory). I'm not sure if
it will work properly though.

I don't think there is anything installed by default on windows that can
read .ps files.

You could also try another approach. I am not entirely sure, but I think
that Python Imaging Library supports writing/reading .ps files.

Greg

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we
didn't.
-- Erica Jong (How to Save Your Own Life, 1977)

Reid Nichol

Hello,
I have made a program that works wonderfully on OpenBSD but it uses
os.system to get ghostscript to convert ps to jpeg. But, I wish this
program to run on Windows as well. Is there any way I can snag where
the gs executable is on Windows? What it is named? And so forth.

Reid Nichol

Unfortunately PIL only writes .eps files. I was going to get the users
to install gs but of course it's install directory is variable. I've
tried using shortcuts but that didn't work.

Since most of my intended users use windows only...

Jeremy Sanders

Unfortunately PIL only writes .eps files. I was going to get the users
to install gs but of course it's install directory is variable. I've
tried using shortcuts but that didn't work.

Since most of my intended users use windows only...

I'm not familiar with GS on Windows, but it may be worth searching the
registry to see whether the install path is written there.

Jeremy

Reid Nichol

The registry contains certain data but not *exactly* the data I need. I
could construct from that but according to the docs it's quite new so
I'd rather not use it.

I know there has to be a way to tell if I'm on a certain platorm.
Something like:
if __win32__:
print 'on windows'

But, I can't find any docs on that. I'm probably looking in the wrong
place, so, could someone point me in the right direction or just give me
that if statment.

Thanks

Fredrik Lundh

Reid Nichol wrote
I know there has to be a way to tell if I'm on a certain platorm.
Something like:
if __win32__:
print 'on windows'

But, I can't find any docs on that. I'm probably looking in the wrong
place, so, could someone point me in the right direction or just give me
that if statment.

if sys.platform == "win32":
print "on windows"

</F>

Dennis Lee Bieber

The registry contains certain data but not *exactly* the data I need. I
could construct from that but according to the docs it's quite new so
I'd rather not use it.

I know there has to be a way to tell if I'm on a certain platorm.
Something like:
if __win32__:
print 'on windows'

import sys
if sys.platform == "win32":
print "On windows"

bobb

Reid Nichol said:
Hello,
I have made a program that works wonderfully on OpenBSD but it uses
os.system to get ghostscript to convert ps to jpeg. But, I wish this
program to run on Windows as well. Is there any way I can snag where
the gs executable is on Windows? What it is named? And so forth.
I test my gs things through cygwin on my windows box.
hth

bobb

JanC

Reid Nichol said:
The registry contains certain data but not *exactly* the data I need. I
could construct from that but according to the docs it's quite new so
I'd rather not use it.

I did this 2 years ago (using a NSIS 1.x install script to change a batch
file) and it worked for everyone who tested & used it then (at least 10
people, maybe more). I think most of them had a 7.x GS version.
(Maybe some 6.x versions too, but I don't remember exactly.)

Two years isn't that "quite new" anymore...