os x compile, install?

Rob

Hi,

Python on my system is behaving badly, so I want to create a new
install from source code. I have OS X 10.6.2, I downloaded the source
code (Python-2.6.5.tar.bz2) and did the usual, ./configure, make, sudo
make install. Build went fine. But on install, why is it putting
things is my home directory?

[...]
running build_scripts
running install_lib
creating /Users/rob/Library/Python
creating /Users/rob/Library/Python/2.6
creating /Users/rob/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages
copying build/lib.macosx-10.4-x86_64-2.6/_AE.so -> /Users/rob/Library/
Python/2.6/site-packages
copying build/lib.macosx-10.4-x86_64-2.6/_AH.so -> /Users/rob/Library/
Python/2.6/site-packages
copying build/lib.macosx-10.4-x86_64-2.6/_App.so -> /Users/rob/Library/
Python/2.6/site-packages
[...]

Later, this causes imports that require those .so files to fail. For
example...

RobsMac Python-2.6.5 $ python
Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Apr 28 2010, 13:40:18)
[GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646) (dot 1)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named zlib

What is going on?

thanks,
Rob

Rob

Hi,

Python on my system is behaving badly, so I want to create a new
install from source code.  I have OS X 10.6.2, I downloaded the source
code (Python-2.6.5.tar.bz2) and did the usual, ./configure, make, sudo
make install.  Build went fine.  But on install, why is it putting
things is my home directory?

Doh! Nevermind... I had created a ~/.pydistutils.cfg file a
couple weeks ago, for some stupid reason I can't remember. I forgot
to delete that file. It's contents were:

[install]
install_lib = ~/Library/Python/$py_version_short/site-packages
install_scripts = ~/bin

So it was overriding the normal setup.py behavior.

Rob

Benjamin Kaplan

Hi,

Python on my system is behaving badly, so I want to create a new
install from source code.  I have OS X 10.6.2, I downloaded the source
code (Python-2.6.5.tar.bz2) and did the usual, ./configure, make, sudo
make install.  Build went fine.  But on install, why is it putting
things is my home directory?

Doh!  Nevermind...  I had created a ~/.pydistutils.cfg file a
couple weeks ago, for some stupid reason I can't remember.  I forgot
to delete that file.  It's contents were:

[install]
install_lib = ~/Library/Python/$py_version_short/site-packages
install_scripts = ~/bin

So it was overriding the normal setup.py behavior.

Rob

On OS X, you're probably going to want to do a Framework install
instead of just a normal build. (If you don't do this, you won't be
able to make a GUI).

../configure --enable-framework
make
sudo make install

That will generate the app bundles for you (IDLE, Python Launcher, and
so on) and make a framework in /Library/Frameworks. For more
information about the Mac-specific options, look at the README inside
the Mac folder of the source.