OS X launcher internals: dock icon

Larry Barowski

I'm working on a Java-version-independent launcher (replacement
for the "java" executable) for OS X. In Java 1.4 and higher, the
launcher communicates the dock icon to the JVM using the
environment variable APP_ICON_<pid> . In Java 1.3.1 (at least,
Java 1.3.1_15 and _16) the -Xdock command line parameter is
supported, but it seems that the icon is not passed to the JVM
through an environment variable. Does anyone know how the
icon is passed?