os x / mysql : install 1.8 : ruby = nil

paul vudmaska

I'm trying to install ruby/eruby and mysql to learn ruby for web stuff
on os x 10.2

At some point, i think while installing,
http://www.tmtm.org/ruby/mysql/README_en.html , i wacked my ruby
install that comes with os x(my fault, not the above)... i tried to
install in /usr/bin/ruby... then when i noticed that the mysql file
WAS /usr/bin/ruby....dont laugh, i'm new to this ;)

So i went about getting 1.8. I ran the config...no c compiler so i
loaded the dev tools and ran
../configure
make
make install
using the defaults...everything seemed ok. But i still have no ruby. I
went into what seems like the install directory /usr/local/bin and try
to run ruby(it's in there) but i get 'command not found'.

when i do a 'whereis ruby' on the command line i get nothing. 'which
ruby' nada. I tried adding ruby to my path.../usr/local/bin

I'd really like to check ruby out. Anyone know of an isp who supports
ruby with mysql/eruby/mod_ruby?

somebody please clue me ;)

ahoward

I'm trying to install ruby/eruby and mysql to learn ruby for web stuff
on os x 10.2

At some point, i think while installing,
http://www.tmtm.org/ruby/mysql/README_en.html , i wacked my ruby
install that comes with os x(my fault, not the above)... i tried to
install in /usr/bin/ruby... then when i noticed that the mysql file
WAS /usr/bin/ruby....dont laugh, i'm new to this ;)

So i went about getting 1.8. I ran the config...no c compiler so i
loaded the dev tools and ran
./configure
make
make install
using the defaults...everything seemed ok. But i still have no ruby. I
went into what seems like the install directory /usr/local/bin and try
to run ruby(it's in there) but i get 'command not found'.

this is probably because './' (the current directory) is not in your PATH.

what does this output?

prompt> /usr/local/bin/ruby
when i do a 'whereis ruby' on the command line i get nothing. 'which
ruby' nada. I tried adding ruby to my path.../usr/local/bin

hmmm - can you show the output of your commands? if running bash(sh, maybe
even tcsh) try:

env PATH=/usr/local/bin which ruby
I'd really like to check ruby out. Anyone know of an isp who supports
ruby with mysql/eruby/mod_ruby?

somebody please clue me ;)

can't help you there...

-a