OS X RubyGems installation question

Jonathan Waddilove

Hi, I am just migrating from one OS X system to a new MBP :)

I'm trying the rubygem installation process, but when I run:
sudo ruby setup.rb
from rubygems-0.9.2 I get:

setup.rb:52:in `require': no such file to load -- rbconfig (LoadError)
from setup.rb:52

There are no ruby options set in ENV, and the Ruby configuration is as
built by the OS X installation.

One additional factor, I choose to use the Apple Migration assistant. It
worked like a charm bringing everything across in the users directories
- including hidden items. I'm wondering if this is part of the problem.

I'm hoping some kind person will point out the error of my ways. Many
thanks

Jonathan

Eric I.

I've never tried intalling updated Ruby versions or RubyGems *over*
the OS X install. Perhaps you should consider what I think is a
cleaner solution -- DarwinPorts (http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/).

Once you install DarwinPorts you can then install other software
(e.g., Ruby 1.8.5 very easily. And then you can install RubyGems.
Everything goes into /opt/local, thereby keeping your standard OS X
install "clean".

Then it's just a matter of adjusting your PATH so it picks the ruby,
irb, etc. out of /opt/local/bin.

Eric

====

Are you interested in on-site Ruby training that's been highly
reviewed by former students? http://LearnRuby.com

Eric Hodel

Hi, I am just migrating from one OS X system to a new MBP :)

I'm trying the rubygem installation process, but when I run:
sudo ruby setup.rb
from rubygems-0.9.2 I get:

setup.rb:52:in `require': no such file to load -- rbconfig
(LoadError)
from setup.rb:52

rbconfig is located in /path/to/ruby/lib/1.8/<platform>/

where is your ruby installed?
There are no ruby options set in ENV, and the Ruby configuration is as
built by the OS X installation.

One additional factor, I choose to use the Apple Migration
assistant. It
worked like a charm bringing everything across in the users
directories
- including hidden items. I'm wondering if this is part of the
problem.

Possibly it missed something.

Jonathan Waddilove

Eric,

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I tried the Darwin Ports
approach but it failed to install Ruby. So I followed the HiveLogoc
instructions to install Ruby and then Ruby GEM and I'm now running OK.

I hope all of this will go away when Leopard ships and we can enjoy a
pre-installed Ruby GEM environment.

Many thanks, Jonathan

Helge Stahlmann

Am 13.02.2007 um 20:06 schrieb Jonathan Waddilove:
I hope all of this will go away when Leopard ships and we can enjoy a
pre-installed Ruby GEM environment.

Many thanks, Jonathan

Jonathan,

Did you checkout Locomotive (http://locomotive.raaum.org/bundles/
index.html)? It's a nice package that comes with a very complete set
of standard bundles including rubygems.

Helge