OSAF Announces the Release of Chandler 0.3

Ted Leung

We are pleased to announce Chandler 0.3! Our architecture is finally
stable enough to start developing end-user features.

Release 0.3 targets developers who want an early preview into our
architecture as we are developing it. With this release we now can
begin to encourage open source developers to work with the OSAF core
development team, as in the upcoming PyCon Sprint. (See details below.)

===================================
New in Release 0.3
===================================
The two biggest architecture advancements in this release are the
Repository and the Chandler Presentation and Interaction Architecture
(CPIA). In 0.3, our Repository is much more robust and scalable, and
now implements a transaction and threading model. This release also
marks the debut of CPIA, which is a UI layer in our architecture that
is uniquely adapted for item-centric applications based on our
Repository. Not only does it abstract away implementation-specific UI
widgets, but CPIA elements have direct access to our Repository via
data-driven queries.

You can find out more about the 0.3 release at:
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/twiki/bin/view/Chandler/
ChandlerZeroPointThreeReadme

You can download the 0.3 release for Linux, MacOS, and Windows from:
http://downloads.osafoundation.org/chandler/releases/0.3/

===================================
OSAF events at PyCon 2004
===================================
PyCon 2004, March 24-26, 2004 in Washington, D.C., is a
community-oriented conference targeting developers (both those using
Python and those working on the Python project). It provides
opportunities to learn about significant advances in the Python
development community, to participate in a programming sprint with some
of the leading minds in the Open Source community, and to meet fellow
developers from around the world. The organizers work to make the
conference affordable and accessible to all. The Chandler PyCon Sprint
is free and does not require registration for the conference.

Mitch Kapor to give keynote address
Mitch, founder of the Open Source Application Foundation, will be the
keynote speaker for the conference.

Chandler Sprint
OSAF will be running a Sprint from Mar 20-23 prior to the PyCon 2004
conference. The topics for the sprint will focus on the Chandler
repository. At the moment, these include repository dump/restore
functionality, and remote repository sharing using WebDAV.

Andi Vajda and Ted Leung will the coaches for the sprints, and will be
doing brief tutorials for people unfamiliar with the Chandler
repository. We want to use the sprint to involve more people in the
Chandler development process as well as accomplish some tasks that will
be useful for Chandler.

If you are interested in participating in the sprint, please add
yourself to the ChandlerSprint page:
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/ChandlerSprint

What is a Sprint?
The sprint is a four day focused development session, in which
developers pair in a room and focus on building a particular subsystem.
A sprint is organized with a coach leading the session. The coach sets
the agenda, tracks activities, and keeps the development moving. The
developers work in pairs using extreme programming's pair programming
approach.

And a BOF too!