OSCON 2006 Call for Participation

Glenn Vanderburg

The call for participation for this year's O'Reilly Open Source
Convention has been posted. It's included below, and you can find it
online here:

http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2006/

The conference is July 24-28, and the deadline for submissions is
February 13. Early submissions help!

In 2005, Ruby built huge momentum at OSCON; all of the Ruby tutorials
and talks were packed, and many of the keynotes mentioned Ruby and
Rails. This year we want to build on that momentum -- with lots of
Rails goodness, of course, but also showcasing the many other cool
things that people are doing with Ruby. Please submit your proposals
for talks and tutorials.

Thanks!
The OSCON Ruby Track committee: Chad Fowler, Rich Kilmer, and Glenn
Vanderburg

The CFP:
OSCON 2006: Opening Innovation

Save the date for the 8th annual O'Reilly Open Source Convention,
happening July 24-28, 2006 at the Oregon Convention Center in
beautiful Portland, Oregon.

The O'Reilly Open Source Convention is where coders, sysadmins,
entrepreneurs, and business people working in free and open source
software gather to share ideas, discover code, and find solutions. At
OSCON 2005, more than 2,400 attendees took part in 241 sessions and
tutorials across eleven technology tracks, learning about the newest
features and versions from creators and experts. A record number of
products launches and announcements were made, and sponsors and
exhibitors from a wide range of companies filled the largest exhibit
hall in OSCON's history. We anticipate that OSCON 2006 will be even
more successful, and continue to be the place for the open source
community to meet up, debate, make deals, and connect face to face.
OSCON 2006 will take place at the Oregon Convention Center in
Portland, Oregon July 24-28, 2006.

OSCON 2006 will feature the projects, technologies, and skills that
you need to write and deploy killer modern apps. We're looking for
proposals on platforms and applications around:

* Multimedia including voice (VoIP) and video
* AI including spam-busting, classification, clustering, and
data mining
* Collaboration including email, calendars, RSS, OPML,
mashups, IM, presence, and session initialization
* Project best practices including governance, starting a
project, and managing communities
* Microsoft Windows-based open source projects
including .NET, Mono, and regular C/C++/Visual Basic
Windows apps
* Enterprise Java techniques including integration,
testing, and scalable deployment solutions
* Linux kernel skills for sysadmins including virtualization,
tuning, and device drivers
* Device hacking including iPods, Nintendo, PSP,
XBox 360, and beyond
* Design including CSS, GUI, and user experience (XP)
* Entrepreneurial topics including management for techies,
how to go into business for yourself, and business
models that work
* Security including hardening, hacking, root kits (Sony
and otherwise), and intrusion detection/cleanup
* Fun subjects with no immediate commercial application
including retro computing, games, and BitTorrent
Tracks at OSCON will include:

* Desktop Apps
* Databases, including MySQL, PostgreSQL, Ingres, and others
* Emerging Topics
* Java
* Linux Kernel for SysAdmins
* Linux for Programmers
* Perl, celebrating the 10th year of The Perl Conference!
* PHP
* Programming, including everything that's not specific to a
particular language
* Python
* Security
* Ruby, including Ruby on Rails
* Web Apps, including Apache
* Windows
The Call for Participation is now open. Go to http://
conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2006/create/e_sess to submit a
proposal. We'll unveil the program and open general registration in
April, 2006.