OSDC 2006's fabulous keynotes

Discussion in 'Python' started by Richard Jones, Oct 18, 2006.

  1. Book before 31st October to save $50 and get a free conference t-shirt!

    Registrations are open for the Open Source Developers' Conference 2006:
    http://www.osdc.com.au/registration/index.html The conference is running
    in Melbourne from the 6th - 8th December, with a day of tutorials on the
    5th.

    Keynote talks this year include:

    Anthony Baxter: "futurepython"

    import __future__

    What does the future hold for the Python language? In this talk, we'll look
    at Microsoft's (Open Sourced!) IronPython and show some of the massive fun
    coming down the track for scripting languages thanks to .Net and Mono.
    We'll also cover Python 3.0 (now under development) and the PyPy (Python,
    in Python) project.

    Damian Conway: "The Da Vinci Codebase"

    When a dying operating system scrawls his name across its corrupted boot
    volume, Dr. Damian Conway, an unassuming college professor, is plunged into
    a deadly race against time to solve a series of impossible riddles. What is
    the mysterious "Priory of Bios?" And who are their deadly nemeses "Opus
    Arai?" On the run from the law and stalked by a ghostly pale killer, will
    he unravel the subtle clues hidden in Leonardo's most famous source code
    and reveal to the world the incredible secret encrypted in...the Da Vinci
    Codebase?

    Randal L. Schwartz: "Free software - A look back, a look ahead"

    A twenty year history of the free/open software movement, from my
    perspective of how to contribute (in many ways!) and how to make money as
    well.

    Richard Farnsworth: "Open Source Synchrotron"

    What is a Synchrotron anyway? What software needs does it has? How can
    Open Source help solve these? The Australian Synchrotron achieved first
    light in July 2005 almost exclusively filling its software needs through
    open source. The code base has been refined to suit local conditions, and
    shared with the rest of the Synchrotron open source community. By sharing
    information, experience and software freely between scientists and
    engineers, great design efficiencies have been made further aiding the
    development of experimental beamlines.

    Be a part of this fantastic conference and help it be the best developers'
    conference this year! If your business would like to benefit from exposure
    to many of Australia's best open source developers then perhaps you should
    consider sponsorship. We have a wide range of sponsorship options, to find
    out more information please visit:
    http://www.osdc.com.au/sponsors/index.html

    We look forward to sharing this great conference with you! Don't forget to
    register before 31st October to get a free conference t-shirt.

    http://www.osdc.com.au/registration/index.html

    --
    Richard Jones, OSDC 2006 Programme Chair
    http://www.osdc.com.au/

    Richard Jones, Oct 18, 2006