OSNEWS: The International Obfuscated Ruby Code Contest

Erik Veenstra

The front page of OS News [1] mentions "The International
Obfuscated Ruby Code Contest":

'Obfuscation' is to make something difficult or unusually
obscure. One of the ironies of Ruby programming is the general
desire of Rubyists to believe that a goal to accomplish
readability in code overshadows even at times its
functionality. At times to the point of obsurdity. Enter the
International Obfuscated Ruby Code Contest with prizes up to
$750.

gegroet,
Erik V.

[1] http://www.osnews.com/

David A. Black

Hi --

The front page of OS News [1] mentions "The International
Obfuscated Ruby Code Contest":

'Obfuscation' is to make something difficult or unusually
obscure. One of the ironies of Ruby programming is the general
desire of Rubyists to believe that a goal to accomplish
readability in code overshadows even at times its
functionality.

I've never, ever heard any Ruby programmer say that. I guess one of
the side-effects of this contest is going to be that the use of Ruby
to write clear, communicative code is going to come in for ridicule.
That's really too bad.

David