    Where is the IDE in 'Tiger' for the mac? Don't tell me I have to use
    text edit all the time??

    Computer says 'No'
    baza, May 13, 2005

  2. baza

    Robert Kern Guest

    baza wrote:
    > Where is the IDE in 'Tiger' for the mac? Don't tell me I have to use
    > text edit all the time??

    PythonIDE never came with the OS. You have to install it yourself.

    http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/

    --
    Robert Kern

    -- Richard Harter
    Robert Kern, May 13, 2005

  3. baza

    B Guest

    On 13/5/05 03:35, in article
    , "Robert Kern"
    <> wrote:

    > baza wrote:
    >> Where is the IDE in 'Tiger' for the mac? Don't tell me I have to use
    >> text edit all the time??

    > PythonIDE never came with the OS. You have to install it yourself.
    >
    > http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/

    That's weird because it was on my iBook disk as a .pkg file when I got it???

    Thanks for the link.
    Baza
    B, May 13, 2005
  4. baza

    B Guest

    On 13/5/05 03:35, in article
    , "Robert Kern"
    <> wrote:

    > baza wrote:
    >> Where is the IDE in 'Tiger' for the mac? Don't tell me I have to use
    >> text edit all the time??

    > PythonIDE never came with the OS. You have to install it yourself.
    >
    > http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/

    OK, just installed it but it crashes under Tiger.

    Baza
    B, May 13, 2005
  5. On Fri, 13 May 2005 03:21:40 +0100, baza
    <> wrote:

    >Where is the IDE in 'Tiger' for the mac? Don't tell me I have to use
    >text edit all the time??

    You can use Spotlight to find the file idle.pyw and use that as an
    IDE...

    Matt Feinstein

    --
    There is no virtue in believing something that can be proved to be true.
    Matt Feinstein, May 13, 2005
  6. baza

    Robert Kern Guest

    B wrote:

    > On 13/5/05 03:35, in article
    > , "Robert Kern"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>baza wrote:
    >>
    >>>Where is the IDE in 'Tiger' for the mac? Don't tell me I have to use
    >>>text edit all the time??

    >>PythonIDE never came with the OS. You have to install it yourself.
    >>
    >>http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/

    > OK, just installed it but it crashes under Tiger.

    Not surprising. PythonIDE is very old and unmaintained relying on an
    older and even more unmaintained GUI toolkit. You should probably find
    another editor.

    You could learn to use vim or emacs, both of which come with Tiger. They
    also have somewhat more Aqua-friendly GUI versions lurking around. I'm
    partial to vim, myself.

    PyOXIDE might be a good choice for you.
    http://homepage.mac.com/gandreas/Menu4.html

    I'm told Xcode does a tolerable job with Python.

    There are other IDEs floating around. Searching the PythonMac-SIG
    mailing list archives should show you past discussions about them and
    how well they work on OS X.

    --
    Robert Kern

    -- Richard Harter
    Robert Kern, May 13, 2005
  7. baza

    Lou Pecora Guest

    In article <>,
    Robert Kern <> wrote:

    > You could learn to use vim or emacs, both of which come with Tiger. They
    > also have somewhat more Aqua-friendly GUI versions lurking around. I'm
    > partial to vim, myself.
    >
    > PyOXIDE might be a good choice for you.
    > http://homepage.mac.com/gandreas/Menu4.html
    >
    > I'm told Xcode does a tolerable job with Python.
    >
    > There are other IDEs floating around. Searching the PythonMac-SIG
    > mailing list archives should show you past discussions about them and
    > how well they work on OS X.

    TextWrangler or BBEdit (it's bigger brother) can be used, too. Both are
    nice GUI editors.

    -- Lou Pecora (my views are my own) REMOVE THIS to email me.
    Lou Pecora, May 17, 2005
  8. baza

    Lou Pecora Guest

    In article <>,
    Robert Kern <> wrote:

    > I'm told Xcode does a tolerable job with Python.

    I just took a look at Xcode and it's not obvious how to run a script. I
    suspect I need a project? Then run? The docs say nothing that I can
    find.

    Thanks.

    -- Lou Pecora (my views are my own) REMOVE THIS to email me.
    Lou Pecora, May 17, 2005