OT: A Domain I Registered Now Points Elsewhere?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by nice.guy.nige, Jan 5, 2005.

  1. Hi all,

    A bit confused...

    A few months ago I registered a domain name for a potential web design
    client. I registered using the registrar I normally use, and in the clients
    name, but in my account with the registrar (so the domain name is managed in
    my account, but the contact details for the domain are the client's). They
    eventually decided to go with another designer and so I was waiting for
    someone to contact me and say "can you change the nameservers to whatever"
    which never happened. In the meantime, had the domain name just point to a
    page on my server. Just had a look and it now points to their new site
    (which IMO is pretty shit!). Checked my account on the registrar's site and
    the domain is still in my list and still set to point to my holding page.
    Checked whois and they appear to have a new registrar.

    Now, I can understand that -- as the domain is registered under their
    name -- they can transfer it away from my registrar using their headed paper
    or whatever, but if that is what happened, why would it still appear in the
    control panel on my registrar?

    And I can't get over how shit the site is! I offered them a pretty nice
    layout, valid code and accessiblity for peanuts, and now they've got frames,
    black background, animated gifs, invalid and inaccessible code... grr!

    Just thought I'd share that with the gang...

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk

    nice.guy.nige, Jan 5, 2005

  2. Re: A Domain I Registered Now Points Elsewhere?

    "nice.guy.nige" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > A bit confused...
    >
    > A few months ago I registered a domain name for a potential web design
    > client. I registered using the registrar I normally use, and in the
    > clients
    > name, but in my account with the registrar (so the domain name is managed
    > in
    > my account, but the contact details for the domain are the client's). They
    > eventually decided to go with another designer and so I was waiting for
    > someone to contact me and say "can you change the nameservers to whatever"
    > which never happened. In the meantime, had the domain name just point to a
    > page on my server. Just had a look and it now points to their new site
    > (which IMO is pretty shit!). Checked my account on the registrar's site
    > and
    > the domain is still in my list and still set to point to my holding page.
    > Checked whois and they appear to have a new registrar.
    >
    > Now, I can understand that -- as the domain is registered under their
    > name -- they can transfer it away from my registrar using their headed
    > paper
    > or whatever, but if that is what happened, why would it still appear in
    > the
    > control panel on my registrar?
    >
    > And I can't get over how shit the site is! I offered them a pretty nice
    > layout, valid code and accessiblity for peanuts, and now they've got
    > frames,
    > black background, animated gifs, invalid and inaccessible code... grr!

    It takes a few days for the registrar to update and move it out of, or into,
    your account. I've had that happen many times. Even though its listed in
    your account, you won't be able to edit any of the settings.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Multi-Domain & Reseller Cpanel Hosting
    http://www.AxisHost.com - High bandwidth Cpanel Hosting

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Jan 5, 2005

  3. Re: A Domain I Registered Now Points Elsewhere?

    While the city slept, Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. ()
    feverishly typed...

    > "nice.guy.nige" <> wrote in message

    [...]
    >> Now, I can understand that -- as the domain is registered under their
    >> name -- they can transfer it away from my registrar using their
    >> headed paper
    >> or whatever, but if that is what happened, why would it still appear
    >> in the
    >> control panel on my registrar?

    [...]
    > It takes a few days for the registrar to update and move it out of,
    > or into, your account. I've had that happen many times. Even
    > though its listed in your account, you won't be able to edit any of
    > the settings.

    That occured to me, but the whois lists the domain as last modified 15
    November 04... May give the registrar a bell tomorrow.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk

    nice.guy.nige, Jan 5, 2005
  4. Re: A Domain I Registered Now Points Elsewhere?

    > While the city slept, Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.
    > ()
    > feverishly typed...
    >
    >> "nice.guy.nige" <> wrote in message

    > [...]
    >>> Now, I can understand that -- as the domain is registered under their
    >>> name -- they can transfer it away from my registrar using their
    >>> headed paper
    >>> or whatever, but if that is what happened, why would it still appear
    >>> in the
    >>> control panel on my registrar?

    > [...]
    >> It takes a few days for the registrar to update and move it out of,
    >> or into, your account. I've had that happen many times. Even
    >> though its listed in your account, you won't be able to edit any of
    >> the settings.

    > That occured to me, but the whois lists the domain as last modified 15
    > November 04... May give the registrar a bell tomorrow.

    The WHOIS you are using may not be in real time.

    --Tina

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Jan 5, 2005