OT: Annoyances in PDF

Adrienne Boswell

It's bad enough when some "web deeziner" puts pale red on light gray
backround. At least with a modern browser, you can disable
stylesheets, use your own colors, etc.

What's really bad is when you are invited to open a PDF that of course
has information the web site doesn't, and you are presented with the
same problem, only there's no way to disable styles.

Will people please understand that although it might look artsy
fartsy, YOU CAN'T READ THE DAMN THING!

Just had to get that out ... feeling better... back to our regularly
scheduled program.

mbstevens

What's really bad is when you are invited to open a PDF that of course
has information the web site doesn't, and you are presented with the
same problem, only there's no way to disable styles.

I don't like them (grrrrrrrrrrrrr) even when they can be read.
PDFs on the web are irritating because you have no random access to
their information until you download the whole damn thing. When possible
they should be converted to (X)HTML, with an optional PDF download for
those who want it.

dorayme

mbstevens said:
I don't like them (grrrrrrrrrrrrr) even when they can be read.
PDFs on the web are irritating because you have no random access to
their information until you download the whole damn thing. When possible
they should be converted to (X)HTML, with an optional PDF download for
those who want it.

It is a way for clients to get stuff on the web cheaply, or so
they suppose, bypassing the website author/maintainer! It is hard
to know if it is really cheaper for them but presumably many find
it easier to make pdfs than html files.

mbstevens

It is a way for clients to get stuff on the web cheaply, or so
they suppose, bypassing the website author/maintainer! It is hard
to know if it is really cheaper for them but presumably many find
it easier to make pdfs than html files.

Yeah, a lot of it seems to come from government agencies and other fans of
the minimum-bid mentality. You can always *claim* that you have made the
information available that you had to by law.

cwdjrxyz

It's bad enough when some "web deeziner" puts pale red on light gray
backround. At least with a modern browser, you can disable

PDF has a place. For instance it is wonderful for duplication of tax
forms, etc. that must be in an exact size and format. There are many
hundreds of US IRS tax forms, many of which are only needed seldom,
and downloading a PDF copy of an obscure form from the IRS beats
having to order in the form by mail and having to wait several days to
receive it. Such legal forms usually are plain black and white, so you
seldom get the problems you mention.

Another use I can tolerate is very long service and instruction
directions. I recently had to buy a new lawn mower. By going to the
Toro web site, I was able to find most of what I needed in html
format. When I decided I likely wanted one of their mowers, I
downloaded their instructions, detailed service instructions, and
parts lists to check on some details. This was over 200 pages, but was
no problem since I am on broadband and download at about 5 Mbps. Since
I bought the mower, I will keep this info. The mower only comes with
the short instructions, and you would have to buy the other material
if you want a printed copy in book form. The PDF and hard copy forms
of this info are in basic black and white and are easy to read.

But I agree that some abuse PDF, but you can say the same about
script, flash, and many other things.

J.O. Aho

Adrienne said:
What's really bad is when you are invited to open a PDF that of course
has information the web site doesn't, and you are presented with the
same problem, only there's no way to disable styles.

Same with flash too, but at least PDF works on the majority of platforms while
flash has a limited support.

Neredbojias

What's really bad is when you are invited to open a PDF that of course
has information the web site doesn't, and you are presented with the
same problem, only there's no way to disable styles.

I agree with mb stevens (and you) regarding pdfs, although I usually put it
more succinctly. (-"They suck.") Another good indication of their
decrepitude is the inverse-dorayme-opinion law.