OT: Annoyances in PDF

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Adrienne Boswell, Apr 27, 2007.

  1. It's bad enough when some "web deeziner" puts pale red on light gray
    backround. At least with a modern browser, you can disable
    stylesheets, use your own colors, etc.

    What's really bad is when you are invited to open a PDF that of course
    has information the web site doesn't, and you are presented with the
    same problem, only there's no way to disable styles.

    Will people please understand that although it might look artsy
    fartsy, YOU CAN'T READ THE DAMN THING!

    Just had to get that out ... feeling better... back to our regularly
    scheduled program.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at work
    Administrator nextBlock.com
    http://atlas.nextblock.com/files/
    Please respond to the group so others can share
    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 27, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Adrienne Boswell

    mbstevens Guest

    On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:14:45 -0700, Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > What's really bad is when you are invited to open a PDF that of course
    > has information the web site doesn't, and you are presented with the
    > same problem, only there's no way to disable styles.


    I don't like them (grrrrrrrrrrrrr) even when they can be read.
    PDFs on the web are irritating because you have no random access to
    their information until you download the whole damn thing. When possible
    they should be converted to (X)HTML, with an optional PDF download for
    those who want it.
    mbstevens, Apr 27, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Adrienne Boswell

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    mbstevens <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:14:45 -0700, Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >
    > > What's really bad is when you are invited to open a PDF that of course
    > > has information the web site doesn't, and you are presented with the
    > > same problem, only there's no way to disable styles.

    >
    > I don't like them (grrrrrrrrrrrrr) even when they can be read.
    > PDFs on the web are irritating because you have no random access to
    > their information until you download the whole damn thing. When possible
    > they should be converted to (X)HTML, with an optional PDF download for
    > those who want it.


    It is a way for clients to get stuff on the web cheaply, or so
    they suppose, bypassing the website author/maintainer! It is hard
    to know if it is really cheaper for them but presumably many find
    it easier to make pdfs than html files.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 27, 2007
    #3
  4. Adrienne Boswell

    mbstevens Guest

    On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 08:57:17 +1000, dorayme wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > mbstevens <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:14:45 -0700, Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >>
    >> > What's really bad is when you are invited to open a PDF that of course
    >> > has information the web site doesn't, and you are presented with the
    >> > same problem, only there's no way to disable styles.

    >>
    >> I don't like them (grrrrrrrrrrrrr) even when they can be read.
    >> PDFs on the web are irritating because you have no random access to
    >> their information until you download the whole damn thing. When possible
    >> they should be converted to (X)HTML, with an optional PDF download for
    >> those who want it.

    >
    > It is a way for clients to get stuff on the web cheaply, or so
    > they suppose, bypassing the website author/maintainer! It is hard
    > to know if it is really cheaper for them but presumably many find
    > it easier to make pdfs than html files.


    Yeah, a lot of it seems to come from government agencies and other fans of
    the minimum-bid mentality. You can always *claim* that you have made the
    information available that you had to by law.
    mbstevens, Apr 28, 2007
    #4
  5. Adrienne Boswell

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Apr 27, 5:14 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > It's bad enough when some "web deeziner" puts pale red on light gray
    > backround. At least with a modern browser, you can disable


    PDF has a place. For instance it is wonderful for duplication of tax
    forms, etc. that must be in an exact size and format. There are many
    hundreds of US IRS tax forms, many of which are only needed seldom,
    and downloading a PDF copy of an obscure form from the IRS beats
    having to order in the form by mail and having to wait several days to
    receive it. Such legal forms usually are plain black and white, so you
    seldom get the problems you mention.

    Another use I can tolerate is very long service and instruction
    directions. I recently had to buy a new lawn mower. By going to the
    Toro web site, I was able to find most of what I needed in html
    format. When I decided I likely wanted one of their mowers, I
    downloaded their instructions, detailed service instructions, and
    parts lists to check on some details. This was over 200 pages, but was
    no problem since I am on broadband and download at about 5 Mbps. Since
    I bought the mower, I will keep this info. The mower only comes with
    the short instructions, and you would have to buy the other material
    if you want a printed copy in book form. The PDF and hard copy forms
    of this info are in basic black and white and are easy to read.

    But I agree that some abuse PDF, but you can say the same about
    script, flash, and many other things.
    cwdjrxyz, Apr 28, 2007
    #5
  6. Adrienne Boswell

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > What's really bad is when you are invited to open a PDF that of course
    > has information the web site doesn't, and you are presented with the
    > same problem, only there's no way to disable styles.


    Same with flash too, but at least PDF works on the majority of platforms while
    flash has a limited support.




    --

    //Aho
    J.O. Aho, Apr 28, 2007
    #6
  7. Adrienne Boswell

    Neredbojias Guest

    On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:14:45 GMT Adrienne Boswell scribed:

    > What's really bad is when you are invited to open a PDF that of course
    > has information the web site doesn't, and you are presented with the
    > same problem, only there's no way to disable styles.


    I agree with mb stevens (and you) regarding pdfs, although I usually put it
    more succinctly. (-"They suck.") Another good indication of their
    decrepitude is the inverse-dorayme-opinion law.

    --
    Neredbojias
    He who laughs last sounds like an idiot.
    Neredbojias, Apr 28, 2007
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. JV

    cpl VS.NET annoyances

    JV, May 31, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    475
  2. Replies:
    38
    Views:
    758
    Sion Arrowsmith
    Apr 30, 2007
  3. Paul McGuire

    My newbie annoyances so far

    Paul McGuire, Apr 27, 2007, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    25
    Views:
    661
    Isaac Gouy
    May 9, 2007
  4. =?iso-8859-1?B?QW5kcuk=?=

    My Python annoyances

    =?iso-8859-1?B?QW5kcuk=?=, Apr 28, 2007, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    40
    Views:
    1,069
    Alex Martelli
    May 6, 2007
  5. Steven D'Aprano

    While we're talking about annoyances

    Steven D'Aprano, Apr 29, 2007, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    552
    Alex Martelli
    May 2, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page