    is the thing that I most want to apologise about.

    "To doo bee doo bee doo."
    - Frank Sinatra
    Joona I Palaste, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Joona I Palaste <> wrote:

    > I wish to apologise for my harsh wording of the message about Indian C
    > programmers and "u".
    > To further clarify:
    > Yes, I have noticed that many Indian programmers write "u". No, this is
    > not exclusive to Indians. I never said it was.
    > I was wrong to say that all Indians do this. They don't. Most of those
    > whom I saw did, but they aren't all. I overreacted, and wish to
    > apologise.
    > Note: This does not mean that Indians, even those who write "u", are
    > stupid or bad programmers. It is just a note about writing style.
    > My last sentence about Indian schools was completely out of line and
    > unnecessary. It was nothing but a bad joke at the Indians' expense and
    > is the thing that I most want to apologise about.

    Fair enough.

    Maybe we could change your original question to read:

    "I've been wondering about this for too long: why is it that so many
    posters I come across in this newsgroup write "u" for "you"? Many
    write otherwise grammatical correct English but that one mistake
    sticks out. Is there an RFC forcing them to use mangled English or
    something?"

    Alas, I think this has already been answered elsethread; but beating
    a dead horse is less dangerous than beating a raging stallion... ;-)

    Regards
    --
    Irrwahn
    ()
    Irrwahn Grausewitz, Nov 26, 2003

  3. Joona I Palaste <> wrote in message news:<bq2365$89j$>...
    > I wish to apologise for my harsh wording of the message about Indian C
    > programmers and "u".
    > To further clarify:
    > Yes, I have noticed that many Indian programmers write "u". No, this is
    > not exclusive to Indians. I never said it was.
    > I was wrong to say that all Indians do this. They don't. Most of those
    > whom I saw did, but they aren't all. I overreacted, and wish to
    > apologise.
    > Note: This does not mean that Indians, even those who write "u", are
    > stupid or bad programmers. It is just a note about writing style.
    > My last sentence about Indian schools was completely out of line and
    > unnecessary. It was nothing but a bad joke at the Indians' expense and
    > is the thing that I most want to apologise about.

    There is nothing wrong about correcting or pointing out the bad
    behaviors. As for the wording is concerned, I think it happened
    because of cultural difference. In some societies, some words will be
    harsh and in some societies the same words will be nothing serious.
    For me, I was so surprised when someone in alt.english.usage told me
    that asking marital status (i.e., asking "Are you married?") in
    western countries is too offensive. As the intention is not bad, there
    is no problem at all.

    <sig>Finland rules!</sig>

    No one rules, not even America or Finland or India... But, only
    the money and crooked brains rules (and also divides people). I think,
    the genius who belongs to the total world of C programming should
    consider removing such ethnic slogan from his sig block (IMHO).

    --
    "Believe it or not, patriotism is one of the worst dividing forces"
    http://guideme.itgo.com/atozofc/ - "A to Z of C" Project
    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah, Nov 27, 2003
  4. Joona I Palaste

    Grumble Guest

    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:
    > Joona I Palaste wrote:
    >
    > <sig>Finland rules!</sig>
    >
    > No one rules, not even America or Finland or India... But, only
    > the money and crooked brains rules (and also divides people). I think,
    > the genius who belongs to the total world of C programming should
    > consider removing such ethnic slogan from his sig block (IMHO).

    When one says "X rules", it means "X is cool". Thus "Finland rules"
    means "Finland is a nice place". It does not mean "Finland has
    authority, or exerts control, over anything".
    Grumble, Nov 27, 2003

  5. >I wish to apologise for my harsh wording of the message about Indian C
    >programmers and "u".

    Personally i feel its not necessary. I dont think you have done anything
    wrong to issue an apology to the newsgroup. I feel few people overreacted.

    Sudheer Reddy
    Sudheer Reddy Vakati, Nov 27, 2003
  6. Sudheer Reddy Vakati <> scribbled the following:
    >>I wish to apologise for my harsh wording of the message about Indian C
    >>programmers and "u".
    >>

    > Personally i feel its not necessary. I dont think you have done anything
    > wrong to issue an apology to the newsgroup. I feel few people overreacted.

    They did overreact, true. But my apology was still necessary. My
    original message came out nastier than it was supposed to.

    "The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to
    factor large prime numbers."
    - Bill Gates
    Joona I Palaste, Nov 27, 2003
  7. Grumble <> scribbled the following:
    > R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:
    >> Joona I Palaste wrote:
    >>
    >> <sig>Finland rules!</sig>
    >>
    >> No one rules, not even America or Finland or India... But, only
    >> the money and crooked brains rules (and also divides people). I think,
    >> the genius who belongs to the total world of C programming should
    >> consider removing such ethnic slogan from his sig block (IMHO).

    > When one says "X rules", it means "X is cool". Thus "Finland rules"
    > means "Finland is a nice place". It does not mean "Finland has
    > authority, or exerts control, over anything".

    At last that's the impression I was trying to give. Finland is a nice
    place, but it does not have authority or exert control on anything
    except itself.
    I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.

    "Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schitzophrenic and so am I."
    - Bob Wiley
    Joona I Palaste, Nov 27, 2003
  8. Joona I Palaste <> wrote in message news:<bq4k7u$ofl$>...
    > Grumble <> scribbled the following:
    > > R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:
    > >> Joona I Palaste wrote:
    > >>
    > >> <sig>Finland rules!</sig>
    > >>
    > >> No one rules, not even America or Finland or India... But, only
    > >> the money and crooked brains rules (and also divides people). I think,
    > >> the genius who belongs to the total world of C programming should
    > >> consider removing such ethnic slogan from his sig block (IMHO).

    > > When one says "X rules", it means "X is cool". Thus "Finland rules"
    > > means "Finland is a nice place". It does not mean "Finland has
    > > authority, or exerts control, over anything".

    Oh my!! English seems to be more strange than what I'd thought...

    > At last that's the impression I was trying to give. Finland is a nice
    > place, but it does not have authority or exert control on anything
    > except itself.
    > I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.

    My sincere apologies for misunderstanding that idiom (or phrase).
    BTW, you may consider idiots like me when framing words :)

    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah, Nov 27, 2003
  9. Joona I Palaste

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <bq4k7u$ofl$> Joona I Palaste <> writes:

    >At last that's the impression I was trying to give. Finland is a nice
    >place, but it does not have authority or exert control on anything
    >except itself.
    >I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.
    >
    >--
    >/-- Joona Palaste () ------------- Finland --------\
    >\-- http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste --------------------- rules! --------/

    As a matter of fact, the "Finland rules!" bit makes your sigblock look
    childish/silly and, by implication, its author, too. You're neither the
    first, nor the last to be proud of his country, but there is no point in
    advertising this in your sigblock.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
    Dan Pop, Nov 27, 2003
  10. Dan Pop <> scribbled the following:
    > In <bq4k7u$ofl$> Joona I Palaste <> writes:
    >>At last that's the impression I was trying to give. Finland is a nice
    >>place, but it does not have authority or exert control on anything
    >>except itself.
    >>I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.
    >>
    >>--
    >>/-- Joona Palaste () ------------- Finland --------\
    >>\-- http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste --------------------- rules! --------/

    > As a matter of fact, the "Finland rules!" bit makes your sigblock look
    > childish/silly and, by implication, its author, too. You're neither the
    > first, nor the last to be proud of his country, but there is no point in
    > advertising this in your sigblock.

    I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
    regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too. If enough people
    are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

    "You have moved your mouse, for these changes to take effect you must shut down
    and restart your computer. Do you want to restart your computer now?"
    - Karri Kalpio
    Joona I Palaste, Nov 27, 2003
  11. Joona I Palaste

    carl mcguire Guest

    Joona I Palaste wrote:
    > Dan Pop <> scribbled the following:
    >
    >>In <bq4k7u$ofl$> Joona I Palaste <> writes:
    >>
    >>>At last that's the impression I was trying to give. Finland is a nice
    >>>place, but it does not have authority or exert control on anything
    >>>except itself.
    >>>I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>/-- Joona Palaste () ------------- Finland --------\
    >>>\-- http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste --------------------- rules! --------/

    >>As a matter of fact, the "Finland rules!" bit makes your sigblock look
    >>childish/silly and, by implication, its author, too. You're neither the
    >>first, nor the last to be proud of his country, but there is no point in
    >>advertising this in your sigblock.

    > I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
    > regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too. If enough people
    > are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

    It's hardly a matter of fact, more one person's opinion. To say anything
    rules is a bit 80's though.
    carl mcguire, Nov 27, 2003

    <> writes:
    > >>At last that's the impression I was trying to give. Finland is a nice
    > >>place, but it does not have authority or exert control on anything
    > >>except itself.
    > >>I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>/-- Joona Palaste () -------------

    Finland --------\
    > >>\-- http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste ---------------------

    rules! --------/

    > > As a matter of fact, the "Finland rules!" bit makes your sigblock look
    > > childish/silly and, by implication, its author, too. You're neither the
    > > first, nor the last to be proud of his country, but there is no point in
    > > advertising this in your sigblock.

    > I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
    > regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too. If enough people
    > are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

    Hi Joona,
    I am not a regular, but I participate since more than two years. No, I am
    not bothered, I'd just like a different wording more, because "rules" sounds
    (at least for me, english is not my first language) like "is on top of the
    whole world". What about "Finland" together with an often changing word
    about it's highlights? AFAIK there are zillions of them :)
    Just my <whatever currency you like> 0.02
    Robert
    Robert Stankowic, Nov 27, 2003
  13. Joona I Palaste wrote:

    > Dan Pop <> scribbled the following:
    >
    >> As a matter of fact, the "Finland rules!" bit makes your sigblock look
    >> childish/silly and, by implication, its author, too. You're neither the
    >> first, nor the last to be proud of his country, but there is no point in
    >> advertising this in your sigblock.

    > I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
    > regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too. If enough people
    > are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

    As long as you keep it down to four lines, you could put the lyrics to the
    Finnish National Anthem in there for all I care.

    --
    Richard Heathfield :
    Richard Heathfield, Nov 27, 2003
  14. Joona I Palaste

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <bq566v$723$> Joona I Palaste <> writes:

    >Dan Pop <> scribbled the following:
    >> In <bq4k7u$ofl$> Joona I Palaste <> writes:
    >>>At last that's the impression I was trying to give. Finland is a nice
    >>>place, but it does not have authority or exert control on anything
    >>>except itself.
    >>>I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>/-- Joona Palaste () ------------- Finland --------\
    >>>\-- http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste --------------------- rules! --------/

    >> As a matter of fact, the "Finland rules!" bit makes your sigblock look
    >> childish/silly and, by implication, its author, too. You're neither the
    >> first, nor the last to be proud of his country, but there is no point in
    >> advertising this in your sigblock.

    >I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
    >regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too.

    You got me wrong. It doesn't bother me at all and I don't think that
    my remark above suggests otherwise.

    >If enough people are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

    You're welcome to keep it, as far as I'm concerned. I merely explained
    why *you* may want to drop it.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
    Dan Pop, Nov 27, 2003
  15. Joona I Palaste

    Morris Dovey Guest

    Joona I Palaste wrote:
    > Dan Pop <> scribbled the following:
    >
    >>In <bq4k7u$ofl$> Joona I Palaste <> writes:
    >>
    >>>At last that's the impression I was trying to give. Finland is a nice
    >>>place, but it does not have authority or exert control on anything
    >>>except itself.
    >>>I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>/-- Joona Palaste () ------------- Finland --------\
    >>>\-- http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste --------------------- rules! --------/

    >>As a matter of fact, the "Finland rules!" bit makes your sigblock look
    >>childish/silly and, by implication, its author, too. You're neither the
    >>first, nor the last to be proud of his country, but there is no point in
    >>advertising this in your sigblock.

    > I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
    > regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too. If enough people
    > are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

    I'm not bothered. I'm aware that Joona is a bright young person;
    and expect that as he continues to mature, that maturity will be
    reflected in his choice of signature block.

    FWIW, I expect that if Joona is a representative sample of the
    general population, then it surely /is/ a place in which to take
    pride...

    ( ...as well as being cool this time of year :)

    --
    Morris Dovey
    West Des Moines, Iowa USA
    Morris Dovey, Nov 27, 2003
  16. Joona I Palaste

    Ed Morton Guest

    Joona I Palaste wrote:
    > Dan Pop <> scribbled the following:
    >
    >>In <bq4k7u$ofl$> Joona I Palaste <> writes:
    >>
    >>>At last that's the impression I was trying to give. Finland is a nice
    >>>place, but it does not have authority or exert control on anything
    >>>except itself.
    >>>I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>/-- Joona Palaste () ------------- Finland --------\
    >>>\-- http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste --------------------- rules! --------/

    >>As a matter of fact, the "Finland rules!" bit makes your sigblock look
    >>childish/silly and, by implication, its author, too. You're neither the
    >>first, nor the last to be proud of his country, but there is no point in
    >>advertising this in your sigblock.

    > I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
    > regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too. If enough people
    > are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

    Dan's right, but it isn't a big deal. It can just slightly color some
    people's initial impression of you. Luckily it comes at the END of a
    posting so you get all that space above it to make a
    better/worse/same/different impression.

    Ed.

    P.S. I have it on good authority that, in fact, Scotland rules ;-),
    though apparently not in soccer based on our recent tussle with the
    Netherlands 8-(.
    Ed Morton, Nov 27, 2003
  17. Joona I Palaste

    Alex Guest

    Joona I Palaste <> wrote:
    > Dan Pop <> scribbled the following:
    >> In <bq4k7u$ofl$> Joona I Palaste <> writes:
    >>>At last that's the impression I was trying to give. Finland is a nice
    >>>place, but it does not have authority or exert control on anything
    >>>except itself.
    >>>I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>/-- Joona Palaste () ------------- Finland --------\
    >>>\-- http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste --------------------- rules! --------/

    >> As a matter of fact, the "Finland rules!" bit makes your sigblock look
    >> childish/silly and, by implication, its author, too. You're neither the
    >> first, nor the last to be proud of his country, but there is no point in
    >> advertising this in your sigblock.

    > I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
    > regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too. If enough people
    > are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

    I recommend changing it to a more mature

    "In my humble opinion, Finland is a nice place to live in. Ya dig?"

    Alex

    --
    Canada rules! :)
    Alex, Nov 27, 2003
  18. Alex <> scribbled the following:
    > Joona I Palaste <> wrote:
    >> Dan Pop <> scribbled the following:

    >>> As a matter of fact, the "Finland rules!" bit makes your sigblock look
    >>> childish/silly and, by implication, its author, too. You're neither the
    >>> first, nor the last to be proud of his country, but there is no point in
    >>> advertising this in your sigblock.

    >> I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
    >> regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too. If enough people
    >> are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

    > I recommend changing it to a more mature

    > "In my humble opinion, Finland is a nice place to live in. Ya dig?"

    Yes, but how am I going to fit that in the space provided above?

    "Remember: There are only three kinds of people - those who can count and those
    who can't."
    - Vampyra
    Joona I Palaste, Nov 27, 2003
  19. Joona I Palaste

    Alex Guest

    Joona I Palaste <> wrote:
    > Alex <> scribbled the following:
    >> Joona I Palaste <> wrote:
    >>> Dan Pop <> scribbled the following:

    >>> I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
    >>> regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too. If enough people
    >>> are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

    >> I recommend changing it to a more mature

    >> "In my humble opinion, Finland is a nice place to live in. Ya dig?"

    > Yes, but how am I going to fit that in the space provided above?

    1 /-- Joona Palaste () ------------- Finland --------\
    2 \-- http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste --------------------- rules! --------/
    3 "Remember: There are only three kinds of people - those who can count and
    4 those who can't."
    5 - Vampyra

    Since you are already exceeding the prescribed sig block size,
    there's no harm in stretching it further :)

    Seriously though, as long as you get the sig marker right,
    it's all good to me.

    Alex
    Alex, Nov 27, 2003
  20. Joona I Palaste

    Ed Morton Guest

    Joona I Palaste wrote:
    > Alex <> scribbled the following:

    <snip>
    >>"In my humble opinion, Finland is a nice place to live in. Ya dig?"

    > Yes, but how am I going to fit that in the space provided above?

    Just change "Ya" to "U" ;-).

    Ed.
    Ed Morton, Nov 27, 2003