[OT] Apology

Joona I Palaste

I wish to apologise for my harsh wording of the message about Indian C
programmers and "u".
To further clarify:
Yes, I have noticed that many Indian programmers write "u". No, this is
not exclusive to Indians. I never said it was.
I was wrong to say that all Indians do this. They don't. Most of those
whom I saw did, but they aren't all. I overreacted, and wish to
apologise.
Note: This does not mean that Indians, even those who write "u", are
stupid or bad programmers. It is just a note about writing style.
My last sentence about Indian schools was completely out of line and
unnecessary. It was nothing but a bad joke at the Indians' expense and
is the thing that I most want to apologise about.

Irrwahn Grausewitz

Joona I Palaste said:
I wish to apologise for my harsh wording of the message about Indian C
programmers and "u".
To further clarify:
Yes, I have noticed that many Indian programmers write "u". No, this is
not exclusive to Indians. I never said it was.
I was wrong to say that all Indians do this. They don't. Most of those
whom I saw did, but they aren't all. I overreacted, and wish to
apologise.
Note: This does not mean that Indians, even those who write "u", are
stupid or bad programmers. It is just a note about writing style.
My last sentence about Indian schools was completely out of line and
unnecessary. It was nothing but a bad joke at the Indians' expense and
is the thing that I most want to apologise about.

Fair enough.

Maybe we could change your original question to read:

"I've been wondering about this for too long: why is it that so many
posters I come across in this newsgroup write "u" for "you"? Many
write otherwise grammatical correct English but that one mistake
sticks out. Is there an RFC forcing them to use mangled English or
something?"

Alas, I think this has already been answered elsethread; but beating
a dead horse is less dangerous than beating a raging stallion... ;-)

Regards

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

Joona I Palaste said:
I wish to apologise for my harsh wording of the message about Indian C
programmers and "u".
To further clarify:
Yes, I have noticed that many Indian programmers write "u". No, this is
not exclusive to Indians. I never said it was.
I was wrong to say that all Indians do this. They don't. Most of those
whom I saw did, but they aren't all. I overreacted, and wish to
apologise.
Note: This does not mean that Indians, even those who write "u", are
stupid or bad programmers. It is just a note about writing style.
My last sentence about Indian schools was completely out of line and
unnecessary. It was nothing but a bad joke at the Indians' expense and
is the thing that I most want to apologise about.

There is nothing wrong about correcting or pointing out the bad
behaviors. As for the wording is concerned, I think it happened
because of cultural difference. In some societies, some words will be
harsh and in some societies the same words will be nothing serious.
For me, I was so surprised when someone in alt.english.usage told me
that asking marital status (i.e., asking "Are you married?") in
western countries is too offensive. As the intention is not bad, there
is no problem at all.

<sig>Finland rules!</sig>

No one rules, not even America or Finland or India... But, only
the money and crooked brains rules (and also divides people). I think,
the genius who belongs to the total world of C programming should
consider removing such ethnic slogan from his sig block (IMHO).

Grumble

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah said:
Joona I Palaste wrote:

<sig>Finland rules!</sig>

No one rules, not even America or Finland or India... But, only
the money and crooked brains rules (and also divides people). I think,
the genius who belongs to the total world of C programming should
consider removing such ethnic slogan from his sig block (IMHO).

When one says "X rules", it means "X is cool". Thus "Finland rules"
means "Finland is a nice place". It does not mean "Finland has
authority, or exerts control, over anything".

Sudheer Reddy Vakati

I wish to apologise for my harsh wording of the message about Indian C
programmers and "u".
Personally i feel its not necessary. I dont think you have done anything
wrong to issue an apology to the newsgroup. I feel few people overreacted.

Sudheer Reddy

Joona I Palaste

Sudheer Reddy Vakati said:
Personally i feel its not necessary. I dont think you have done anything
wrong to issue an apology to the newsgroup. I feel few people overreacted.

They did overreact, true. But my apology was still necessary. My
original message came out nastier than it was supposed to.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ------------- Finland --------\
"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to

Joona I Palaste

When one says "X rules", it means "X is cool". Thus "Finland rules"
means "Finland is a nice place". It does not mean "Finland has
authority, or exerts control, over anything".

At last that's the impression I was trying to give. Finland is a nice
place, but it does not have authority or exert control on anything
except itself.
I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

Oh my!! English seems to be more strange than what I'd thought...
At last that's the impression I was trying to give. Finland is a nice
place, but it does not have authority or exert control on anything
except itself.
I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.

My sincere apologies for misunderstanding that idiom (or phrase).
BTW, you may consider idiots like me when framing words :)

Dan Pop

In said:
At last that's the impression I was trying to give. Finland is a nice
place, but it does not have authority or exert control on anything
except itself.
I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.

As a matter of fact, the "Finland rules!" bit makes your sigblock look
childish/silly and, by implication, its author, too. You're neither the
first, nor the last to be proud of his country, but there is no point in
advertising this in your sigblock.

Dan

Joona I Palaste

As a matter of fact, the "Finland rules!" bit makes your sigblock look
childish/silly and, by implication, its author, too. You're neither the
first, nor the last to be proud of his country, but there is no point in
advertising this in your sigblock.

I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too. If enough people
are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ------------- Finland --------\
"You have moved your mouse, for these changes to take effect you must shut down

carl mcguire

Joona said:
I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too. If enough people
are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

It's hardly a matter of fact, more one person's opinion. To say anything
rules is a bit 80's though.

Robert Stankowic

Joona I Palaste said:
rules! --------/

I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too. If enough people
are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

Hi Joona,
I am not a regular, but I participate since more than two years. No, I am
not bothered, I'd just like a different wording more, because "rules" sounds
(at least for me, english is not my first language) like "is on top of the
whole world". What about "Finland" together with an often changing word
about it's highlights? AFAIK there are zillions of them :)
Just my <whatever currency you like> 0.02
Robert

Richard Heathfield

Joona said:
I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too. If enough people
are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

As long as you keep it down to four lines, you could put the lyrics to the
Finnish National Anthem in there for all I care.

Dan Pop

In said:
I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too.

You got me wrong. It doesn't bother me at all and I don't think that
my remark above suggests otherwise.
If enough people are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

You're welcome to keep it, as far as I'm concerned. I merely explained
why *you* may want to drop it.

Dan

Morris Dovey

Joona said:
I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too. If enough people
are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

I'm not bothered. I'm aware that Joona is a bright young person;
and expect that as he continues to mature, that maturity will be
reflected in his choice of signature block.

FWIW, I expect that if Joona is a representative sample of the
general population, then it surely /is/ a place in which to take
pride...

( ...as well as being cool this time of year :)

Ed Morton

Joona said:
I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too. If enough people
are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

Dan's right, but it isn't a big deal. It can just slightly color some
people's initial impression of you. Luckily it comes at the END of a
posting so you get all that space above it to make a
better/worse/same/different impression.

Ed.

P.S. I have it on good authority that, in fact, Scotland rules ;-),
though apparently not in soccer based on our recent tussle with the
Netherlands 8-(.

Alex

I appreciate your opinion, Dan, but I'd like to hear from a few other
regulars too, whether they are bothered with it too. If enough people
are, I'll drop the bit from my sigblock.

I recommend changing it to a more mature

"In my humble opinion, Finland is a nice place to live in. Ya dig?"

Alex

Joona I Palaste

I recommend changing it to a more mature
"In my humble opinion, Finland is a nice place to live in. Ya dig?"

Yes, but how am I going to fit that in the space provided above?

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ------------- Finland --------\
"Remember: There are only three kinds of people - those who can count and those

Alex

Yes, but how am I going to fit that in the space provided above?

1 /-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ------------- Finland --------\
2 \-- http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste --------------------- rules! --------/
3 "Remember: There are only three kinds of people - those who can count and
4 those who can't."
5 - Vampyra

Since you are already exceeding the prescribed sig block size,
there's no harm in stretching it further :)

Seriously though, as long as you get the sig marker right,
it's all good to me.

Alex