    "I know that I could make this world so peaceful and calm
    If I could only get my hands on a hydrogen bomb"

    Todd Rundgren - Heavy Metal Kids
    Spruce Lee, Apr 9, 2009

  2. Spruce Lee wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I couldn't locate an asp group on my ng server, so I'm trying here.
    >
    > Does anyone know of an asp programmer in the USA? Preferably Ohio or the
    > surrounding areas?
    >
    > If yes... please contact mikelewissrATgmail.com
    >
    > thanx

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=asp newsgroups

    Or this is probably more up your alley since your posting in a group
    that you know is OT, and putting OT in your subject does not dismiss
    your ignorance or make it OK.

    http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/

    --
    ************************************
    Remove the "x" from my email address

    ************************************
    Scott Johnson, Apr 9, 2009

  3. Spruce Lee

    dorayme Guest

    In article <n4rDl.12577$%>,
    Scott Johnson <> wrote:

    > Or this is probably more up your alley since your posting in a group
    > that you know is OT, and putting OT in your subject does not dismiss
    > your ignorance or make it OK.

    Please don't talk to visitors like this. I mean, there are few enough of
    them these days... I have even resorted to giving beggars and buskers
    cards inviting them to visit alt.html and have had to do a bit of PR
    about how friendly it is...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 9, 2009
  4. Spruce Lee

    rf Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <n4rDl.12577$%>,
    > Scott Johnson <> wrote:
    >
    >> Or this is probably more up your alley since your posting in a group
    >> that you know is OT, and putting OT in your subject does not dismiss
    >> your ignorance or make it OK.

    > Please don't talk to visitors like this. I mean, there are few enough
    > of them these days... I have even resorted to giving beggars and
    > buskers cards inviting them to visit alt.html and have had to do a
    > bit of PR about how friendly it is...

    So you endorse every stupid bloody google groper out there posting
    advertisments and job requests in here? We are getting enough of that stupid
    bikini contest shit as it is, or do you endorse those as well?
    rf, Apr 10, 2009
  5. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <n4rDl.12577$%>,
    > Scott Johnson <> wrote:
    >
    >> Or this is probably more up your alley since your posting in a group
    >> that you know is OT, and putting OT in your subject does not dismiss
    >> your ignorance or make it OK.

    > Please don't talk to visitors like this. I mean, there are few enough of
    > them these days... I have even resorted to giving beggars and buskers
    > cards inviting them to visit alt.html and have had to do a bit of PR
    > about how friendly it is...

    Why the heck would you need to invite visitors??? This is a tech level
    newsgroup not a chat-room. People (non-trolls) come here to give and
    receive information regarding HTML, hence the name alt.html, not
    alt.lonelyheartsclub.

    And we are friendly if people come here for the right reasons and give
    half an effort. It's those that post what they feel like and ask us to
    solve problems they have not even 'tried' to solve themselves that tend
    to bend nerves.

    There are plenty of NG out there for social networking, I would advise
    you send invites to them please.

    --
    ************************************

    Scott Johnson, Apr 10, 2009
  6. Spruce Lee

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 09 Apr 2009, "rf" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >> In article <n4rDl.12577$%>,
    >> Scott Johnson <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Or this is probably more up your alley since your posting in a
    >>> group that you know is OT, and putting OT in your subject does not
    >>> dismiss your ignorance or make it OK.

    >> Please don't talk to visitors like this. I mean, there are few
    >> enough of them these days... I have even resorted to giving beggars
    >> and buskers cards inviting them to visit alt.html and have had to do
    >> a bit of PR about how friendly it is...

    > So you endorse every stupid bloody google groper out there posting
    > advertisments and job requests in here? We are getting enough of that
    > stupid bikini contest shit as it is, or do you endorse those as well?

    Yep. "Topless or nothing" is my motto...

    --
    Neredbojias
    People who live in glass houses must feel funny peeing.
    Neredbojias, Apr 10, 2009
  7. Spruce Lee

    dorayme Guest

    In article <hgwDl.23006$>,
    Scott Johnson <> wrote:

    > This is a tech level
    > newsgroup not a chat-room. People (non-trolls) come here to give and
    > receive information regarding HTML, hence the name alt.html, not
    > alt.lonelyheartsclub.

    Thanks Scott. I never knew this.

    > And we are friendly if people come here for the right reasons and give
    > half an effort. It's those that post what they feel like and ask us to
    > solve problems they have not even 'tried' to solve themselves that tend
    > to bend nerves.
    >
    > There are plenty of NG out there for social networking, I would advise
    > you send invites to them please.

    I just nicked up to the main street (busy inner suburb of Sydney) and
    starting fumbling in a tramp's pocket to retrieve my invite to alt.html
    card. By-standers thought I was robbing him, police were called... I was
    let go this time after some fast talking. But I got some suspicious
    looks as I walked away. One copper called me back and asked for a card
    as he was "getting into webpage design". So not all was lost.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 10, 2009
  8. Spruce Lee

    dorayme Guest

    In article <MCvDl.2088$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <n4rDl.12577$%>,
    > > Scott Johnson <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Or this is probably more up your alley since your posting in a group
    > >> that you know is OT, and putting OT in your subject does not dismiss
    > >> your ignorance or make it OK.

    > > Please don't talk to visitors like this. I mean, there are few enough
    > > of them these days... I have even resorted to giving beggars and
    > > buskers cards inviting them to visit alt.html and have had to do a
    > > bit of PR about how friendly it is...

    > So you endorse every stupid bloody google groper out there posting
    > advertisments and job requests in here? We are getting enough of that stupid
    > bikini contest shit as it is, or do you endorse those as well?

    I endorse gentlemanly conduct and restraint in jumping to wild
    conclusions.

    "Hi:
    I couldn't locate an asp group on my ng server, so I'm trying here.
    Does anyone know ...
    thanx "

    does not seem to me to equate to "every stupid bloody google groper out
    there posting advertisments and job requests in here"

    Maybe my filters block out a lot? Maybe mine sense the less discursive
    human differences? Maybe I would say different if I saw a lot of these
    things?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 10, 2009
  9. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <hgwDl.23006$>,
    > Scott Johnson <> wrote:
    >
    >> This is a tech level
    >> newsgroup not a chat-room. People (non-trolls) come here to give and
    >> receive information regarding HTML, hence the name alt.html, not
    >> alt.lonelyheartsclub.
    >>

    > Thanks Scott. I never knew this.
    >> And we are friendly if people come here for the right reasons and give
    >> half an effort. It's those that post what they feel like and ask us to
    >> solve problems they have not even 'tried' to solve themselves that tend
    >> to bend nerves.
    >>
    >> There are plenty of NG out there for social networking, I would advise
    >> you send invites to them please.

    > I just nicked up to the main street (busy inner suburb of Sydney) and
    > starting fumbling in a tramp's pocket to retrieve my invite to alt.html
    > card. By-standers thought I was robbing him, police were called... I was
    > let go this time after some fast talking. But I got some suspicious
    > looks as I walked away. One copper called me back and asked for a card
    > as he was "getting into webpage design". So not all was lost.

    Did not mean to get you into any sort of trouble...;)

    --
    ************************************

    Scott Johnson, Apr 10, 2009
  10. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <MCvDl.2088$>,
    > "rf" <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:

    >>> Please don't talk to visitors like this. I mean, there are few enough
    >>> of them these days... I have even resorted to giving beggars and
    >>> buskers cards inviting them to visit alt.html and have had to do a
    >>> bit of PR about how friendly it is...

    >> So you endorse every stupid bloody google groper out there posting
    >> advertisments and job requests in here? We are getting enough of that stupid
    >> bikini contest shit as it is, or do you endorse those as well?

    > I endorse gentlemanly conduct and restraint in jumping to wild
    > conclusions.
    >
    > "Hi:
    > I couldn't locate an asp group on my ng server, so I'm trying here.
    > Does anyone know ...
    > thanx "
    >
    > does not seem to me to equate to "every stupid bloody google groper out
    > there posting advertisments and job requests in here"
    >
    > Maybe my filters block out a lot? Maybe mine sense the less discursive
    > human differences? Maybe I would say different if I saw a lot of these
    > things?

    I agree I could of handled it better and not have been so rude (maybe
    its a blood sugar thing), and I will try to behave better. But it does
    get tiring...

    --
    ************************************

    Scott Johnson, Apr 10, 2009
  11. Spruce Lee

    rf Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <MCvDl.2088$>,
    > "rf" <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:

    >>> Please don't talk to visitors like this. I mean, there are few
    >>> enough of them these days... I have even resorted to giving beggars
    >>> and buskers cards inviting them to visit alt.html and have had to
    >>> do a bit of PR about how friendly it is...

    >> So you endorse every stupid bloody google groper out there posting
    >> advertisments and job requests in here? We are getting enough of
    >> that stupid bikini contest shit as it is, or do you endorse those as
    >> well?

    > I endorse gentlemanly conduct and restraint in jumping to wild
    > conclusions.

    It is not a wild conclusion. The google groper posted a totally off topic
    *advertisement* even when said groper knew it would be off topic.
    http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/ is a good place to send people with no clue.
    If you encourage the blighters by answering them politely they just keep
    coming back with more stupid questions and we have enough of those already.

    > "Hi:
    > I couldn't locate an asp group on my ng server, so I'm trying here.
    > Does anyone know ...
    > thanx "
    >
    > does not seem to me to equate to "every stupid bloody google groper
    > out there posting advertisments and job requests in here"

    Get real. The google groper is posting to alt.html *from google*. All the
    google groper has to do is type "asp programmer ohio" into his *google
    address bar* and a gazillion places to find asp programmers pop up.

    Go over to comp.lang.php and ask about asp programmers in Ohio. You will be
    run out of town on a rail. In fact there are people there who will flame
    anybody who *answers* an off topic question, and rightly so.

    "I couldn't locate a washing machine group so I'm trying here.
    Does anyone know of a washing machine mechanic in Australia? Preferably NSW
    or the surrounding areas?
    If yes..."

    Is that any more relevant? Would you politely answer that?
    rf, Apr 10, 2009
  12. Spruce Lee

    dorayme Guest

    In article <MzyDl.2131$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > "I couldn't locate a washing machine group so I'm trying here.
    > Does anyone know of a washing machine mechanic in Australia? Preferably NSW
    > or the surrounding areas?
    > If yes..."
    >
    > Is that any more relevant? Would you politely answer that?

    I know what you are doing rf! Tempting me to talk about a subject I
    rather fancy. I kept an already very old second washing machine going
    for twenty years, i have movies on it after my repairs!

    But I am late and am being shouted to lunch for helping a windoze user
    learn Photoshop... I think I will order oysters, caviar, the salmon
    probably and perhaps a cold Italian white...

    The Sydney Fish market better be bloody well open this Good Friday!

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 10, 2009
  13. Spruce Lee

    rf Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <MzyDl.2131$>,

    > The Sydney Fish market better be bloody well open this Good Friday!

    Doesn't matter. We've got a nice slab of pork ready to BBQ :)

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Apr 10, 2009
  14. Spruce Lee

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 09 Apr 2009, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >>> So you endorse every stupid bloody google groper out there posting
    >>> advertisments and job requests in here? We are getting enough of
    >>> that stupid bikini contest shit as it is, or do you endorse those
    >>> as well?

    >> Yep. "Topless or nothing" is my motto...
    >>

    > "Topless" is ok with me. I have often been accused of being topless,
    > that is, without a head.

    Minor slur. My accusors are sometimes wont to desribe me as lacking a
    brain! I realize, of course, that if you have no head, you have no
    brain, but sporting an empty cranium is surely more embarrassing.

    I would say more but it seems this thread has degraded into a
    condemnation of off-topic posts and I'd hate to appear, uh, politically
    incorrect or whatever. Irony abounds, however, for the verbiage
    referred to is itself OT and significantly more boring than the
    original as well. Reminds me of kids playing teacher-and-pupil...
    Babies.

    Neredbojias, Apr 10, 2009
  15. Spruce Lee

    Spruce Lee Guest

    I've been posting here on & off for 10 years approximately, under different
    handles ( I've moved a few times and changed names/providers ) and I've
    answered others' questions.

    I tried Google. Signed up for freelance sites, used their tools to narrow
    down my search to qualified people in North America/USA and keep getting
    replies from India.

    So, after having enough of that I tried looking for and asp ng, then tried
    here here, where most people have been helpful over the years.

    I see that's changed. The days of the nice people like Mogga have gone.

    I guess.

    Sheesh! Google isn't the end all you think it is.

    crapola...........
    Spruce Lee, Apr 10, 2009
  16. Spruce Lee

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:20:29 -0400, "Spruce Lee"
    <> wrote:

    >I've been posting here on & off for 10 years approximately, under different
    >handles ( I've moved a few times and changed names/providers ) and I've
    >answered others' questions.
    >
    >I tried Google. Signed up for freelance sites, used their tools to narrow
    >down my search to qualified people in North America/USA and keep getting
    >replies from India.
    >
    >So, after having enough of that I tried looking for and asp ng, then tried
    >here here, where most people have been helpful over the years.
    >
    >I see that's changed. The days of the nice people like Mogga have gone.
    >
    >I guess.
    >
    >Sheesh! Google isn't the end all you think it is.
    >
    >"Scott Johnson" <> wrote in message a bunch of
    >crapola...........

    I agree. Guys like Brucie is missed for sure.
    There are a few here today who think they know everything there is to
    know and heaven forbid you should say anything that isnt about html.

    I looked at a few freelance sites myself and like you, got pissed off
    because most of them were from India. Charging out the ass for a small
    job and claiming it would take them 3 to 5 days to write. I figure if
    you're that experienced, it shouldn't take a few hours at the most.

    A couple of years ago, I had a guy write me a PHP script and it only
    took him 2 hours to do it. And he was in the USA.

    What gripes me is, the people here jump all over my case for posting
    stuff they claim is wrong even though hundreds of websites show
    precisely the same thing as being proper. Or they cut me down simply
    because I posted it first.

    Anymore, I already know what half of them are gonna say when I post
    something.
    richard, Apr 11, 2009
  17. Spruce Lee

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 11:25:10 -0700, Scott Johnson
    <> wrote:

    >Spruce Lee wrote:
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> I couldn't locate an asp group on my ng server, so I'm trying here.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of an asp programmer in the USA? Preferably Ohio or the
    >> surrounding areas?
    >>
    >> If yes... please contact mikelewissrATgmail.com
    >>
    >> thanx
    >>

    >http://lmgtfy.com/?q=asp newsgroups
    >
    >Or this is probably more up your alley since your posting in a group
    >that you know is OT, and putting OT in your subject does not dismiss
    >your ignorance or make it OK.
    >
    >http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/

    Guess what dude?
    All of the asp groups, except two, that are listed on my servers are
    all european based groups. So most likely, there are no real general
    purpose asp groups for the USA or English speaking people.

    So if one wants to hire an asp programmer, he has to find them in
    places where he thinks they might hang out.

    You're showing your total ignorance by chewing his ass out for
    properly posting a legitimate question.

    Not to mention the fact that you are by far no regular poster in this
    group and should have just kept your mouth shut.
    richard, Apr 11, 2009
  18. richard wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 11:25:10 -0700, Scott Johnson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Spruce Lee wrote:
    >>> Hi:
    >>>
    >>> I couldn't locate an asp group on my ng server, so I'm trying here.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of an asp programmer in the USA? Preferably Ohio or the
    >>> surrounding areas?
    >>>
    >>> If yes... please contact mikelewissrATgmail.com
    >>>
    >>> thanx
    >>>

    >> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=asp newsgroups
    >>
    >> Or this is probably more up your alley since your posting in a group
    >> that you know is OT, and putting OT in your subject does not dismiss
    >> your ignorance or make it OK.
    >>
    >> http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/

    > Guess what dude?
    > All of the asp groups, except two, that are listed on my servers are
    > all european based groups. So most likely, there are no real general
    > purpose asp groups for the USA or English speaking people.
    >
    > So if one wants to hire an asp programmer, he has to find them in
    > places where he thinks they might hang out.
    >
    > You're showing your total ignorance by chewing his ass out for
    > properly posting a legitimate question.
    >
    > Not to mention the fact that you are by far no regular poster in this
    > group and should have just kept your mouth shut.

    What does being a regular poster here have anything to do with what I
    posted? Most of the time I sit and read and learn from other people
    answers the questions asked, no reason for me to chime in to run up my
    stats.
    And you are right, he did post a legitimate question, but in the wrong NG.
    At what point do you draw the line of what you accept as on-topic or
    off-topic?
    I could of (should of) been more polite about the response. But don't
    you Richard, find it a bit tiring when people do what they want due to
    it being just more convenient for them rather then the way it was intended?
    I mean if you where waiting in line, would it not toast your rear if
    someone ahead started letting people in front of you? (I am assuming
    that you are not the person who does this)? I know it's Apples &
    Oranges, but the intentions are clear for the purpose of the line as
    they are for the purpose of this NG.
    I cannot defend the content of my response, but I can defend it's purpose.
    Well I hope I explained the 'reason' I made my post, so you can think of
    me maybe as a little less ignorant.
    But now my Hypocrisy shows through with this reply/post being TOTALLY OT.
    Maybe I should shut my mouth.........naaaaa!

    Peace Out!

    --
    ************************************

    Scott Johnson, Apr 11, 2009
  19. wayne wrote:
    > Scott Johnson wrote:
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> What does being a regular poster here have anything to do with what I
    >> posted? Most of the time I sit and read and learn from other people
    >> answers the questions asked, no reason for me to chime in to run up my
    >> stats.
    >> And you are right, he did post a legitimate question, but in the wrong
    >> NG.
    >> At what point do you draw the line of what you accept as on-topic or
    >> off-topic?
    >> I could of (should of) been more polite about the response. But don't
    >> you Richard, find it a bit tiring when people do what they want due
    >> to it being just more convenient for them rather then the way it was
    >> intended?
    >> I mean if you where waiting in line, would it not toast your rear if
    >> someone ahead started letting people in front of you? (I am assuming
    >> that you are not the person who does this)? I know it's Apples &
    >> Oranges, but the intentions are clear for the purpose of the line as
    >> they are for the purpose of this NG.
    >> I cannot defend the content of my response, but I can defend it's
    >> purpose.
    >> Well I hope I explained the 'reason' I made my post, so you can think
    >> of me maybe as a little less ignorant.
    >> But now my Hypocrisy shows through with this reply/post being TOTALLY OT.
    >> Maybe I should shut my mouth.........naaaaa!
    >>
    >> Peace Out!
    >>

    > You were right the first time, you should have kept your mouth shut. I
    > am a regular reader and sometimes poster too, and you have earned a spot
    > in my kill file along with the other self centered jerks that think that
    > now it all. Perhaps all of them in my kill file is the reason there are
    > very few posts showing in my mail server, or perhaps the jerks have
    > frightened new posters away.

    Wow I thought I was pretty clear why I posted what I did. Now you may
    not agree with how I think which is fine, not everyone will. But my
    initial response, albeit heavy handed, fell in line with my thoughts on
    posting OT in a NG. Even the OP was knowledgeable enough to realize
    that by posting it as OT:.

    I am not sure what you mean by 'You where right the first time'. The
    first time of what?

    If you could also explain what makes me a 'self centered' and 'now it
    all' (by the way its 'know it all'..heheh just kidding don't get too bent!)

    Now I did acknowledge my shortcomings in that I could of been more
    polite and PC to the OP and for that I apologize to all the sensitive
    people out there.

    But hey, if I can give people a chance to vent on me and feel good by
    calling me a self-centered, know-it-all, ignorant jerk, mission
    accomplished. I can take it.

    Oh and BTW I doubt you will respond Wayne since I am now on your kill
    file. (that was a 'calling your bluff' challenge. Again, just kidding!)

    But by any means, life is still good.

    Peace Out.

    --

    Scott Johnson, Apr 11, 2009