OT: Atkins diet

Blinky the Shark

longroad said:
Its been proven this diet is extremely unhealthy. yeah, you'll lose weight.
but fruit is fundamental to life. there is no reason whatsoever to ever
limit the amount of fruit and vegetables you eat.
congrats on losing the weight, but for true health you shouldn't follow any
diet. just eat what you want, the bad thing in moderation, eat alot of
fruit, and exercise everyday.
my two cents.

Why are you telling me this? Why are you not quoting anything from
whoever you *are* responding to?

brucie

in post: <
Karl Groves said:
A calorie is a measurement of energy. To lose weight, you only need to
expend more energy than you take in.

or if you have a more sedentary lifestyle theres nothing wrong with
amputation. its surprising how much a leg weighs
It isn't brain surgery.

i had mine removed ages ago and lost a whopping 1.4kg that i never have
to worry about putting on again.

Whitecrest

Weightloss is so simple, I'm not sure why people make such a big deal out of
it.
A calorie is a measurement of energy.
To lose weight, you only need to expend more energy than you take in.
It isn't brain surgery.

I did not give my entire story, but yes, I ride my stationary bike 10
miles a day, and have missed doing this maybe 10 days in the last year.

My heart is stronger than it has ever been (by the way I am 47 years
old), cholesterol levels are great, BP is completely normal (My doctor
took me off Acupril several months ago).

Low carb has proven to be a completely healthy lifestyle, suggested by
my doctor RATHER than bi-pass surgery that my wife and I were
contemplating for me a year ago. (5'7" and 280 pounds) I lost the
weight slowly over the course of a year.

And no, low carb does NOT mean giving up fruit, and it does not mean
eating bacon for every meal. I eat healthy cuts of meat, a lot of fish
and chicken, salads, green vegies. I simply cut out refined sugars,
processed grain products, and starchy vegetables.

Perfectly safe, perfectly healthy, and Dr. recommended.

Whitecrest

or if you have a more sedentary lifestyle theres nothing wrong with
amputation. its surprising how much a leg weighs

My brother also lost 170 pounds of ugly fat. Her name was Marya...

Neal

Its been proven this diet is extremely unhealthy. yeah, you'll lose
weight.
but fruit is fundamental to life. there is no reason whatsoever to ever
limit the amount of fruit and vegetables you eat.
congrats on losing the weight, but for true health you shouldn't follow
any
diet. just eat what you want, the bad thing in moderation, eat alot of
fruit, and exercise everyday.
my two cents.

I'll add that the South Beach diet is very similar but different in
important ways. According to medical professionals I know, it'a a better
and healthier route to a more appropriate weight. Two weeks of
restrictions from sugars and carbohydrates, then adding them back into the
diet in moderation. Hardest thing is 2 weeks with no alcohol. But it's
only 2 weeks.

I might try that in a few weeks. We'll see.

rf

Whitecrest said:
Can you supply the "proof"? Didn't think so...

There is somebody suing the atkins diet people at this very moment. Claims
it nearly killed him.

Cheers
Richard.

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

rf said:
There is somebody suing the atkins diet people at this very moment. Claims
it nearly killed him.

Every major business, corporation, famous person, etc. will be sued
eventually. If an entity makes money, its inevitable that someone will sue.
That does not prove whether or not the diet is healthy.

--Tina

Whitecrest

There is somebody suing the atkins diet people at this very moment. Claims
it nearly killed him.

4 weeks on the diet and he had a clot.... More like he had issues LONG
before starting the diet. Did he follow the diet? Did he have a
complete physical including blood work before the diet (as recommended
by ALL diets)

And you have to agree that someone filing a lawsuit is hardly considered
"proof". Remember, low carb diets (specifically Atkins, but there are
others too) have been around for over 30 years. The US military has
been using low carb for over 20 years for people on weight restrictions.

Bottom line, you have to use your brain. Obviously eating Bacon and
Eggs 3 meals a day, and eliminating fruit from your diet is not a good
thing. (And Atkins says so.) But then Many of the people that condemn
low-carb in forums like this, (including almost everyone that commented
in this thread) haven't a clue how to change to a low carb life style,
or even what that means (this is obvious from some of the statements
made about no fruit on a low carb diet)

Interestingly enough, it is not a diet, but a life style. I will never
be "off" the diet, I simply have stopped eating processed sugars. Which
results in lower calorie intake, combine that with regular exercise. I
challenge ANYONE to show me how that is bad for your health.

brucie

in post: <
rf said:
There is somebody suing the atkins diet people at this very moment. Claims
it nearly killed him.

say diet 3 times. now say die 3 times.

see, diet is just a speech impediment.

for someone to claim they didn't know the _atkins die_ may kill them is
ludicrous.

bjmpls

The only way to lose weight is by eating less calories than you burn.
Period. Atkins' theories are total BS. Low-carb diets are malarkey.
People who eat low carb actually wind up eating less calories because
the fat and gristle they consume sate them with fewer calories than do
refined carbs.

But the price paid is accelerated atherosclerosis and premature death
from heart disease.

Enjoy.

Shawn B.

Hmm... weight watchers... 9 weeks, lost 22 pounds thus far... only 15 to go
until I'm at my ideal 195 lbs. Never tried Atkins but the people I work
with that are on it struggle and I, well quite frankly, don't struggle --
but the nature of the diets are different and mine is more a change of
eating habbits than it is a diet.

Thanks,
Shawn

Lois

:
: Weightloss is so simple, I'm not sure why people make such a big deal out
of
: it.
:
: A calorie is a measurement of energy.
: To lose weight, you only need to expend more energy than you take in.

It isn't that simple. People with faster metabolisms burn calories faster,
and people with slow metabolisms burn calories more slowly. People respond
differently to different types of food too. Some people gain weight a lot
faster when they eat simple carbs, while others don't. If a person's body
goes into starvation mode from a restricted diet, the body will struggle to
hang onto every ounce of fat. People in that situation have a better chance
of losing weight if they eat *more.* When you eat also affects how calories
are burned. And so on.

Lois

Toby A Inkster

Els said:
As long as you take the recommended vitamin supplements, I
didn't think there were any health risks.

While much of the body can survive fine on a low-carb diet, the brain
needs its glucose. Going without it risks long-term brain damage.

Hywel

longroad said:
Its been proven this diet is extremely unhealthy. yeah, you'll lose weight.
but fruit is fundamental to life.

No it isn't. My cats don't eat fruit.

there is no reason whatsoever to ever
limit the amount of fruit and vegetables you eat.

Yes there is.

congrats on losing the weight, but for true health you shouldn't follow any
diet. just eat what you want, the bad thing in moderation, eat alot of
fruit, and exercise everyday.

An apple a day equates to a weight gain of 10lbs per year.

my two cents.

You want change?

Els

Toby said:
While much of the body can survive fine on a low-carb diet, the brain
needs its glucose. Going without it risks long-term brain damage.

The Atkins diet doesn't mean you stay off of glucose
forever, as Whitecrest stated, it's only for a short period
that fruits aren't in the diet, it's reintroduced, and you
can eat lots of it for the rest of your life.

Whitecrest

The only way to lose weight is by eating less calories than you burn.
Period. Atkins' theories are total BS. Low-carb diets are malarkey.
People who eat low carb actually wind up eating less calories because
the fat and gristle they consume sate them with fewer calories than do
refined carbs.

Your statement shows you haven't a clue about what low carb is. It is
NOT a "get out of jail" card for eating fat and "gristle". It is about
NOT eating refined sugar.

Whitecrest

Hmm... weight watchers... 9 weeks, lost 22 pounds thus far... only 15 to go
until I'm at my ideal 195 lbs. Never tried Atkins but the people I work
with that are on it struggle and I, well quite frankly, don't struggle --
but the nature of the diets are different and mine is more a change of
eating habbits than it is a diet.

No diet works for everyone. I have spent the last 20 years trying to
lose weight. Lowcarb, is the only thing I have not struggle with.

I would guess that other than you eat potatoes, pasta, and breads, our
diets are probably pretty similar. As a matter of fact I KNOW they are
similar, because I have quite a few "lost 5 pound" cards from Weight
Watchers. (only to have gained it all back)

To each his/her own.

Whitecrest

While much of the body can survive fine on a low-carb diet, the brain
needs its glucose. Going without it risks long-term brain damage.

THAT'S my problem.... ;-}