    Anyway, it's slightly on topic for the group - it uses html (and it
    probably doesn't validate).

    http://graspages.cjb.cc/bigdry/index.php

    Joe, Oct 24, 2006

  2. Joe

    Andrew Guest

    On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:46:47 GMT, Joe <> wrote:

    >The wife wanted a natter with the next-door neighbours wife, so I drove
    >her around.
    >I met him at the gate. He was taking a few sheep in to market, hoping to
    >get reasonable money for them while they're still in fairly good
    >condition. We're all hurting up here.
    >
    >I hope you won't mind looking at this page and maybe telling others
    >about it's message.
    >
    >Anyway, it's slightly on topic for the group - it uses html (and it
    >probably doesn't validate).
    >
    >http://graspages.cjb.cc/bigdry/index.php

    Hi Joe (Graeme?),

    As an Australian I know where you are coming from. I am sheltered a
    little, being on the eastern seaboard but everybody knows how hard the
    farmers are getting it.

    More than a pity that the Government is as usual more interested in
    playing politics than making policy to address Australia's greatest
    drought.

    BTW the page almost validates: there is an extra closing <div/> that
    would take 2 seconds to remove :)

    All the very best,

    Andrew
    --

    Andrew
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/

    Andrew, Oct 25, 2006

  3. Joe

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Andrew <sorry.no.email@post_NG.com> wrote:

    > On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:46:47 GMT, Joe <> wrote:
    >

    > >http://graspages.cjb.cc/bigdry/index.php
    > >

    > As an Australian I know where you are coming from. I am sheltered a
    > little, being on the eastern seaboard but everybody knows how hard the
    > farmers are getting it.

    Hear hear!

    > More than a pity that the Government is as usual more interested in
    > playing politics than making policy to address Australia's greatest
    > drought.

    This is one question which makes me stop wanting to be king. What
    the hell to do? I like the idea of helping the farmers to
    relocate to the north where it will be wetter...

    > BTW the page almost validates: there is an extra closing <div/> that
    > would take 2 seconds to remove :)

    I was struck by the effect of this:

    p.fancy:first-letter {font-size: 230%;
    float: left;
    vertical-align: text-top;
    color:#400;
    }

    The result is odd. I like it.

    On my latest (Blinkey alerted) FF with the extension of edit css
    I get no effect from completely deleting

    float: left;
    vertical-align: text-top;

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 25, 2006
  4. Joe

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    Re: (OT) Aussies please read.

    Joe wrote:
    > The wife wanted a natter with the next-door neighbours wife, so I drove
    > her around.
    > I met him at the gate. He was taking a few sheep in to market, hoping to
    > get reasonable money for them while they're still in fairly good
    > condition. We're all hurting up here.
    >
    > I hope you won't mind looking at this page and maybe telling others
    > about it's message.
    >
    > Anyway, it's slightly on topic for the group - it uses html (and it
    > probably doesn't validate).
    >
    > http://graspages.cjb.cc/bigdry/index.php

    It's a great site.
    Oh and we are having the same probs here in Victoria as well, and there
    is bugger all feed around at home, just north of Colac.
    Although the main thing they run is bief and dary catle, a lot of
    farmers are having to sell all their stock.
    Oh and Joe, as a side note, how did you come accross and what do you
    think of CJB.CC as a web host?
    I like them a lot personally.

    Chaddy2222, Oct 25, 2006
  5. Joe

    Joe (GKF) Guest

    In article <>,
    sorry.no.email@post_NG.com says...
    > On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:46:47 GMT, Joe <> wrote:
    >

    > >Anyway, it's slightly on topic for the group - it uses html (and it
    > >probably doesn't validate).
    > >
    > >http://graspages.cjb.cc/bigdry/index.php
    > >

    > Hi Joe (Graeme?),

    long story.

    > More than a pity that the Government is as usual more interested in
    > playing politics than making policy to address Australia's greatest
    > drought.

    don't get me started!

    > BTW the page almost validates: there is an extra closing <div/> that
    > would take 2 seconds to remove :)

    what the hell - I'll do it!

    > All the very best,

    thanks mate. I see you're a critical care nurse - I spent 30 years in
    health (most of it when we still called it the health SERVICE - now it's
    the health INDUSTRY. I was a Medical Record Admin. before I got sick of
    the politics.

    Joe (GKF), Oct 25, 2006
  6. Joe (GKF) wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > sorry.no.email@post_NG.com says...
    >> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:46:47 GMT, Joe <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Anyway, it's slightly on topic for the group - it uses html (and it
    >>> probably doesn't validate).
    >>>
    >>> http://graspages.cjb.cc/bigdry/index.php

    If you add

    margin-top: 1em;

    to the stylesheet for

    #cleverstuff a:hover span {}

    Then your little mouseover balloon will not obscure the last link
    "Contact/ About" on your menu with Firefox/SeaMonkey

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 25, 2006
  7. Joe

    Andrew Guest

    On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 02:49:26 GMT, Joe (GKF) <>
    wrote:

    snip>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    >thanks mate. I see you're a critical care nurse - I spent 30 years in
    >health (most of it when we still called it the health SERVICE - now it's
    >the health INDUSTRY. I was a Medical Record Admin. before I got sick of
    >the politics.

    Hi again Joe,

    Yep the Health 'Industry' sux in Australia. Just read through the
    rest of your site: good to see an original mind at work! If I ever
    decide to build a Geodesic dome ...

    Andrew
    --

    Andrew
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/

    Andrew, Oct 25, 2006
  8. Joe

    Joe Guest

    In article <doraymeRidThis-C20919.11344625102006@news-
    vip.optusnet.com.au>, says...
    > In article <>,
    > Andrew <sorry.no.email@post_NG.com> wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:46:47 GMT, Joe <> wrote:
    > >

    > > >http://graspages.cjb.cc/bigdry/index.php
    > > >

    > > As an Australian I know where you are coming from. I am sheltered a
    > > little, being on the eastern seaboard but everybody knows how hard the
    > > farmers are getting it.
    > >

    > Hear hear!
    >
    > > More than a pity that the Government is as usual more interested in
    > > playing politics than making policy to address Australia's greatest
    > > drought.

    Low cost loans just help us dig a deeper hole for ourselves. If we can
    even get one.

    > This is one question which makes me stop wanting to be king. What
    > the hell to do? I like the idea of helping the farmers to
    > relocate to the north where it will be wetter...

    We need a national water policy but NOT one run by politicians.
    Give Tim Flannery whatever he wants and let him hire whomever he wants
    and do whatever he thinks is a good idea.

    Australia is a dumb place to grow cotton, particularly when we ship the
    raw material off-shore for processing, then buy back the manufactured
    goods. Cotton is a thirsty crop and 70% or more of what we produce here
    is on irrigated land. Crazy.

    Relocation may be inevitable in the end, because once rainfall patterns
    stabilise we may well find that the traditional food-bowls of Australia
    have stopped producing. But you need to realise that a good many (?most)
    of our farmers are 60+ years old and would rather not start again.

    Actually, make that a national *resources* policy. We need to sort out
    power generation as well. If we (earthlings, not you dorayme) put less
    crap into the air, we wouldn't be in this mess. If we keep at it, our
    planet will eventually (?soon) look a lot like yours.

    > I was struck by the effect of this:
    >
    > p.fancy:first-letter {font-size: 230%;
    > float: left;
    > vertical-align: text-top;
    > color:#400;
    > }
    >
    > The result is odd. I like it.
    >
    > On my latest (Blinkey alerted) FF with the extension of edit css
    > I get no effect from completely deleting
    >
    > float: left;
    > vertical-align: text-top;

    Drop-Caps are fun.
    Those lines are hacks to accomodate some browser or other. I've
    forgotten which one wanted the 'float', but I'm pretty certain it was
    Opera that likes the vertical-align. Or I may be wrong.
    I cobbled the whole thing together pretty much as fast as I could type
    using stuff I had lying around the HDD with a bit of Google to flesh out
    the hints. The web equivalent of baling twine and wire.
    I'll stop now - I feel an analogy coming on ...

    Joe, Oct 26, 2006
  9. Joe

    Joe (GKF) Guest

    Re: (OT) Aussies please read.

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Joe wrote:
    > > The wife wanted a natter with the next-door neighbours wife, so I drove
    > > her around.
    > > I met him at the gate. He was taking a few sheep in to market, hoping to
    > > get reasonable money for them while they're still in fairly good
    > > condition. We're all hurting up here.
    > >
    > > I hope you won't mind looking at this page and maybe telling others
    > > about it's message.
    > >
    > > Anyway, it's slightly on topic for the group - it uses html (and it
    > > probably doesn't validate).
    > >
    > > http://graspages.cjb.cc/bigdry/index.php

    > It's a great site.

    thanks mate.
    > Oh and we are having the same probs here in Victoria as well, and there
    > is bugger all feed around at home, just north of Colac.

    - and in NSW. Things are crook everywhere in the bush.

    > Although the main thing they run is bief and dary catle, a lot of
    > farmers are having to sell all their stock.

    yeah, here too. None of the wheat cockies I know will have a crop this
    year and those that run sheep as well have just about decided to offload
    stock while they still have a bit of condition. The rest of us (grapes,
    citrus, stonefruit growers) have to decide which trees get watered and
    which don't. We're pretty good at water management and most of us have
    cut the slack out our systems over the last few years.

    > Oh and Joe, as a side note, how did you come accross and what do you
    > think of CJB.CC as a web host?

    Would you believe I noticed them via your sig?

    > I like them a lot personally.

    Me too. And the price is right.

    Good luck with your exams.

    Joe (GKF), Oct 26, 2006
  10. Joe

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Joe <> wrote:

    > In article <doraymeRidThis-C20919.11344625102006@news-
    > vip.optusnet.com.au>, says...
    > >
    > > This is one question which makes me stop wanting to be king. What
    > > the hell to do? I like the idea of helping the farmers to
    > > relocate to the north where it will be wetter...

    > We need a national water policy but NOT one run by politicians.
    > Give Tim Flannery whatever he wants and let him hire whomever he wants
    > and do whatever he thinks is a good idea.

    Did you see the poor fellow with John Doyle recently? He was
    sooooo quiet... My analysis: he was a respectable scientist and
    was maybe going to regret getting into a boat with a very funny
    man (just like you worry about advising Luigi on Linux)

    > Australia is a dumb place to grow cotton...

    You won't be getting any argument from many about this.

    > Relocation may be inevitable in the end, because once rainfall patterns
    > stabilise we may well find that the traditional food-bowls of Australia
    > have stopped producing. But you need to realise that a good many (?most)
    > of our farmers are 60+ years old and would rather not start again.

    That is true, was thinking more to tempt the younger people with
    incentives...

    > Actually, make that a national *resources* policy. We need to sort out
    > power generation as well. If we (earthlings, not you dorayme) put less
    > crap into the air, we wouldn't be in this mess. If we keep at it, our
    > planet will eventually (?soon) look a lot like yours.

    Yeah, well, er... splutter... I was kicked out when I started
    complaining about the way things were going...

    > > I was struck by the effect of this:
    > >
    > > p.fancy:first-letter {font-size: 230%;
    > > float: left;
    > > vertical-align: text-top;
    > > color:#400;
    > > }
    > >
    > > The result is odd. I like it.
    > >
    > > On my latest (Blinkey alerted) FF with the extension of edit css
    > > I get no effect from completely deleting
    > >
    > > float: left;
    > > vertical-align: text-top;
    > >

    > Drop-Caps are fun.
    > Those lines are hacks to accomodate some browser or other. I've
    > forgotten which one wanted the 'float', but I'm pretty certain it was
    > Opera that likes the vertical-align.

    Ah, is that what this was about. Bit like putting in a cake
    upside down in an oven that happens itself to be installed upside
    down... er... no... goddam it, you have me going with cake
    analogies now, except i am not so good at them...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 26, 2006
  11. Joe

    Joe (GKF) Guest

    In article <19018$453ed803$40cba7bb$>,
    says...
    > Joe (GKF) wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > sorry.no.email@post_NG.com says...

    > If you add
    >
    > margin-top: 1em;
    >
    > to the stylesheet for
    >
    > #cleverstuff a:hover span {}
    >
    > Then your little mouseover balloon will not obscure the last link
    > "Contact/ About" on your menu with Firefox/SeaMonkey

    Silly me. I knew I should have done that. Thanks.

    Joe (GKF), Oct 26, 2006
  12. Joe

    Joe (GKF) Guest

    In article <>,
    sorry.no.email@post_NG.com says...
    > On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 02:49:26 GMT, Joe (GKF) <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > snip>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    > >
    > >thanks mate. I see you're a critical care nurse - I spent 30 years in
    > >health (most of it when we still called it the health SERVICE - now it's
    > >the health INDUSTRY. I was a Medical Record Admin. before I got sick of
    > >the politics.
    > >

    > Hi again Joe,
    >
    > Yep the Health 'Industry' sux in Australia. Just read through the
    > rest of your site: good to see an original mind at work! If I ever
    > decide to build a Geodesic dome ...
    >
    > Andrew

    Start with the paper one. You'll be hooked.

    Joe (GKF), Oct 26, 2006
  13. Joe

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    Re: (OT) Aussies please read.

    Joe (GKF) wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > Joe wrote:
    > > > The wife wanted a natter with the next-door neighbours wife, so I drove
    > > > her around.
    > > > I met him at the gate. He was taking a few sheep in to market, hoping to
    > > > get reasonable money for them while they're still in fairly good
    > > > condition. We're all hurting up here.
    > > >
    > > > I hope you won't mind looking at this page and maybe telling others
    > > > about it's message.
    > > >
    > > > Anyway, it's slightly on topic for the group - it uses html (and it
    > > > probably doesn't validate).
    > > >
    > > > http://graspages.cjb.cc/bigdry/index.php

    > > It's a great site.

    > thanks mate.
    > > Oh and we are having the same probs here in Victoria as well, and there
    > > is bugger all feed around at home, just north of Colac.

    > - and in NSW. Things are crook everywhere in the bush.
    >
    > > Although the main thing they run is bief and dary catle, a lot of
    > > farmers are having to sell all their stock.

    > yeah, here too. None of the wheat cockies I know will have a crop this
    > year and those that run sheep as well have just about decided to offload
    > stock while they still have a bit of condition. The rest of us (grapes,
    > citrus, stonefruit growers) have to decide which trees get watered and
    > which don't. We're pretty good at water management and most of us have
    > cut the slack out our systems over the last few years.
    >
    > > Oh and Joe, as a side note, how did you come accross and what do you
    > > think of CJB.CC as a web host?

    > Would you believe I noticed them via your sig?

    Hmmm, that's great.

    > > I like them a lot personally.

    > Me too. And the price is right.
    >
    > Good luck with your exams.

    Thanks.

    Chaddy2222, Oct 26, 2006
  14. Joe

    Joe (GKF) Guest

    In article <doraymeRidThis-E94AB8.11085826102006@news-
    vip.optusnet.com.au>, says...
    > In article <>,
    > Joe <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <doraymeRidThis-C20919.11344625102006@news-
    > > vip.optusnet.com.au>, says...
    > > >
    > > > This is one question which makes me stop wanting to be king. What
    > > > the hell to do? I like the idea of helping the farmers to
    > > > relocate to the north where it will be wetter...

    > > We need a national water policy but NOT one run by politicians.
    > > Give Tim Flannery whatever he wants and let him hire whomever he wants
    > > and do whatever he thinks is a good idea.
    > >

    > Did you see the poor fellow with John Doyle recently? He was
    > sooooo quiet... My analysis: he was a respectable scientist and
    > was maybe going to regret getting into a boat with a very funny
    > man (just like you worry about advising Luigi on Linux)

    Certainly did, and I agree with your analysis. I reckon TF is a bloody
    genius. I like John Doyle too, and his mate Rampaging Roy Slavin.

    > > Relocation ...(?most)
    > > of our farmers are 60+ years old and would rather not start again.
    > >

    > That is true, was thinking more to tempt the younger people with
    > incentives...

    Absolutely. Not so much relocating the oldies as creating new farming
    areas for them that wants to go there. As long as the don't start
    damming rivers and overusing the resource

    > > Drop-Caps are fun.
    > > Those lines are hacks to accomodate some browser or other. I've
    > > forgotten which one wanted the 'float', but I'm pretty certain it was
    > > Opera that likes the vertical-align.

    > Ah, is that what this was about. Bit like putting in a cake
    > upside down in an oven that happens itself to be installed upside
    > down... er... no... goddam it, you have me going with cake
    > analogies now, except i am not so good at them...

    I've got that one covered.

    http://graspages.cjb.cc/recipe06/cake/udcake.htm

    Joe (GKF), Oct 27, 2006
  15. Joe

    dp Guest

    Joe (GKF) wrote:
    > In article <doraymeRidThis-E94AB8.11085826102006@news-
    > vip.optusnet.com.au>, says...
    >> In article <>,
    >> Joe <> wrote:
    >>

    >> Ah, is that what this was about. Bit like putting in a cake
    >> upside down in an oven that happens itself to be installed upside
    >> down... er... no... goddam it, you have me going with cake
    >> analogies now, except i am not so good at them...
    >>

    > I've got that one covered.
    >
    > http://graspages.cjb.cc/recipe06/cake/udcake.htm

    Just noticed that the "Untried Recipes" menu item has a habit of
    disappearing when I click another recipe menu item in both IE7 and FF 2.0.

    --
    dp

    dp, Oct 27, 2006