(OT) Aussies please read.

Joe

The wife wanted a natter with the next-door neighbours wife, so I drove
her around.
I met him at the gate. He was taking a few sheep in to market, hoping to
get reasonable money for them while they're still in fairly good
condition. We're all hurting up here.

I hope you won't mind looking at this page and maybe telling others
about it's message.

Anyway, it's slightly on topic for the group - it uses html (and it
probably doesn't validate).

http://graspages.cjb.cc/bigdry/index.php

Andrew

The wife wanted a natter with the next-door neighbours wife, so I drove
her around.
I met him at the gate. He was taking a few sheep in to market, hoping to
get reasonable money for them while they're still in fairly good
condition. We're all hurting up here.

I hope you won't mind looking at this page and maybe telling others
about it's message.

Anyway, it's slightly on topic for the group - it uses html (and it
probably doesn't validate).

http://graspages.cjb.cc/bigdry/index.php

Hi Joe (Graeme?),

As an Australian I know where you are coming from. I am sheltered a
little, being on the eastern seaboard but everybody knows how hard the
farmers are getting it.

More than a pity that the Government is as usual more interested in
playing politics than making policy to address Australia's greatest
drought.

BTW the page almost validates: there is an extra closing <div/> that
would take 2 seconds to remove :)

All the very best,

Andrew

dorayme

Andrew said:
As an Australian I know where you are coming from. I am sheltered a
little, being on the eastern seaboard but everybody knows how hard the
farmers are getting it.

Hear hear!
More than a pity that the Government is as usual more interested in
playing politics than making policy to address Australia's greatest
drought.

This is one question which makes me stop wanting to be king. What
the hell to do? I like the idea of helping the farmers to
relocate to the north where it will be wetter...
BTW the page almost validates: there is an extra closing <div/> that
would take 2 seconds to remove :)

I was struck by the effect of this:

p.fancy:first-letter {font-size: 230%;
float: left;
vertical-align: text-top;
color:#400;
}

The result is odd. I like it.

On my latest (Blinkey alerted) FF with the extension of edit css
I get no effect from completely deleting

float: left;
vertical-align: text-top;

Chaddy2222

Joe said:
The wife wanted a natter with the next-door neighbours wife, so I drove
her around.
I met him at the gate. He was taking a few sheep in to market, hoping to
get reasonable money for them while they're still in fairly good
condition. We're all hurting up here.

I hope you won't mind looking at this page and maybe telling others
about it's message.

Anyway, it's slightly on topic for the group - it uses html (and it
probably doesn't validate).

http://graspages.cjb.cc/bigdry/index.php
It's a great site.
Oh and we are having the same probs here in Victoria as well, and there
is bugger all feed around at home, just north of Colac.
Although the main thing they run is bief and dary catle, a lot of
farmers are having to sell all their stock.
Oh and Joe, as a side note, how did you come accross and what do you
think of CJB.CC as a web host?
I like them a lot personally.

Joe (GKF)

Hi Joe (Graeme?),

long story.
More than a pity that the Government is as usual more interested in
playing politics than making policy to address Australia's greatest
drought.

don't get me started!
BTW the page almost validates: there is an extra closing <div/> that
would take 2 seconds to remove :)
what the hell - I'll do it!
All the very best,

thanks mate. I see you're a critical care nurse - I spent 30 years in
health (most of it when we still called it the health SERVICE - now it's
the health INDUSTRY. I was a Medical Record Admin. before I got sick of
the politics.

Jonathan N. Little

If you add

margin-top: 1em;

to the stylesheet for

#cleverstuff a:hover span {}

Then your little mouseover balloon will not obscure the last link
"Contact/ About" on your menu with Firefox/SeaMonkey

Andrew

snip>>>>>>>>>>>>>
thanks mate. I see you're a critical care nurse - I spent 30 years in
health (most of it when we still called it the health SERVICE - now it's
the health INDUSTRY. I was a Medical Record Admin. before I got sick of
the politics.

Hi again Joe,

Yep the Health 'Industry' sux in Australia. Just read through the
rest of your site: good to see an original mind at work! If I ever
decide to build a Geodesic dome ...

Andrew

Joe

Hear hear!

Low cost loans just help us dig a deeper hole for ourselves. If we can
even get one.
This is one question which makes me stop wanting to be king. What
the hell to do? I like the idea of helping the farmers to
relocate to the north where it will be wetter...

We need a national water policy but NOT one run by politicians.
Give Tim Flannery whatever he wants and let him hire whomever he wants
and do whatever he thinks is a good idea.

Australia is a dumb place to grow cotton, particularly when we ship the
raw material off-shore for processing, then buy back the manufactured
goods. Cotton is a thirsty crop and 70% or more of what we produce here
is on irrigated land. Crazy.

Relocation may be inevitable in the end, because once rainfall patterns
stabilise we may well find that the traditional food-bowls of Australia
have stopped producing. But you need to realise that a good many (?most)
of our farmers are 60+ years old and would rather not start again.

Actually, make that a national *resources* policy. We need to sort out
power generation as well. If we (earthlings, not you dorayme) put less
crap into the air, we wouldn't be in this mess. If we keep at it, our
planet will eventually (?soon) look a lot like yours.

I was struck by the effect of this:

p.fancy:first-letter {font-size: 230%;
float: left;
vertical-align: text-top;
color:#400;
}

The result is odd. I like it.

On my latest (Blinkey alerted) FF with the extension of edit css
I get no effect from completely deleting

float: left;
vertical-align: text-top;
Drop-Caps are fun.
Those lines are hacks to accomodate some browser or other. I've
forgotten which one wanted the 'float', but I'm pretty certain it was
Opera that likes the vertical-align. Or I may be wrong.
I cobbled the whole thing together pretty much as fast as I could type
using stuff I had lying around the HDD with a bit of Google to flesh out
the hints. The web equivalent of baling twine and wire.
I'll stop now - I feel an analogy coming on ...

Joe (GKF)

It's a great site. thanks mate.
Oh and we are having the same probs here in Victoria as well, and there
is bugger all feed around at home, just north of Colac.

- and in NSW. Things are crook everywhere in the bush.
Although the main thing they run is bief and dary catle, a lot of
farmers are having to sell all their stock.

yeah, here too. None of the wheat cockies I know will have a crop this
year and those that run sheep as well have just about decided to offload
stock while they still have a bit of condition. The rest of us (grapes,
citrus, stonefruit growers) have to decide which trees get watered and
which don't. We're pretty good at water management and most of us have
cut the slack out our systems over the last few years.
Oh and Joe, as a side note, how did you come accross and what do you
think of CJB.CC as a web host?

Would you believe I noticed them via your sig?
I like them a lot personally.

Me too. And the price is right.

Good luck with your exams.

dorayme

Joe said:
We need a national water policy but NOT one run by politicians.
Give Tim Flannery whatever he wants and let him hire whomever he wants
and do whatever he thinks is a good idea.

Did you see the poor fellow with John Doyle recently? He was
sooooo quiet... My analysis: he was a respectable scientist and
was maybe going to regret getting into a boat with a very funny
man (just like you worry about advising Luigi on Linux)
Australia is a dumb place to grow cotton...

You won't be getting any argument from many about this.
Relocation may be inevitable in the end, because once rainfall patterns
stabilise we may well find that the traditional food-bowls of Australia
have stopped producing. But you need to realise that a good many (?most)
of our farmers are 60+ years old and would rather not start again.

That is true, was thinking more to tempt the younger people with
incentives...
Actually, make that a national *resources* policy. We need to sort out
power generation as well. If we (earthlings, not you dorayme) put less
crap into the air, we wouldn't be in this mess. If we keep at it, our
planet will eventually (?soon) look a lot like yours.

Yeah, well, er... splutter... I was kicked out when I started
complaining about the way things were going...
Drop-Caps are fun.
Those lines are hacks to accomodate some browser or other. I've
forgotten which one wanted the 'float', but I'm pretty certain it was
Opera that likes the vertical-align.

Ah, is that what this was about. Bit like putting in a cake
upside down in an oven that happens itself to be installed upside
down... er... no... goddam it, you have me going with cake
analogies now, except i am not so good at them...

Joe (GKF)

If you add

margin-top: 1em;

to the stylesheet for

#cleverstuff a:hover span {}

Then your little mouseover balloon will not obscure the last link
"Contact/ About" on your menu with Firefox/SeaMonkey
Silly me. I knew I should have done that. Thanks.

Joe (GKF)

snip>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi again Joe,

Yep the Health 'Industry' sux in Australia. Just read through the
rest of your site: good to see an original mind at work! If I ever
decide to build a Geodesic dome ...

Andrew

Start with the paper one. You'll be hooked.

Chaddy2222

Joe said:
- and in NSW. Things are crook everywhere in the bush.

yeah, here too. None of the wheat cockies I know will have a crop this
year and those that run sheep as well have just about decided to offload
stock while they still have a bit of condition. The rest of us (grapes,
citrus, stonefruit growers) have to decide which trees get watered and
which don't. We're pretty good at water management and most of us have
cut the slack out our systems over the last few years.

Would you believe I noticed them via your sig?
Hmmm, that's great.
Me too. And the price is right.

Good luck with your exams.
Thanks.

Joe (GKF)

Did you see the poor fellow with John Doyle recently? He was
sooooo quiet... My analysis: he was a respectable scientist and
was maybe going to regret getting into a boat with a very funny
man (just like you worry about advising Luigi on Linux)
Certainly did, and I agree with your analysis. I reckon TF is a bloody
genius. I like John Doyle too, and his mate Rampaging Roy Slavin.

That is true, was thinking more to tempt the younger people with
incentives...

Absolutely. Not so much relocating the oldies as creating new farming
areas for them that wants to go there. As long as the don't start
damming rivers and overusing the resource

Ah, is that what this was about. Bit like putting in a cake
upside down in an oven that happens itself to be installed upside
down... er... no... goddam it, you have me going with cake
analogies now, except i am not so good at them...
I've got that one covered.

http://graspages.cjb.cc/recipe06/cake/udcake.htm