  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    What is the best offline browser currently available ?

    Andy, Aug 6, 2004

  2. Re: Best offline browser

    Define "best." It means different things to different people. For example,
    to some people, George W.Bush would be the best U.S. president. To some
    people, John Kerry would be the best U.S. president. Both men are in good
    health (no known bugs). Which one is best? The difference is that some
    people want the country run one way, and some people want the country run
    another way.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Aug 6, 2004

  3. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Re: Best offline browser

    Fair comment, please replace 'best' with 'most popular'.

    Andy, Aug 6, 2004
  4. Re: Best offline browser

    IE is the most popular browser in the world right now. However, Mozilla and
    FireFox have been making a BIG push recently. I like using FireFox because
    it generally renders pages faster then IE. However, the memory usage is
    higher, by ~3 MB, in FireFox on a Windows box. A friend made a good point on
    this issue. IE is built into the OS in windows. As a result, part of it is
    already running. So opening a new instance is less costly then opening a new
    instance of FireFox. But, the actual footprint of IE is bigger then FireFox.

    Another interesting point is the DoD or 9/11 commission (or some other
    defense oriented US Gov organization) recently deemed IE a security risk and
    banned internal usage.

    I think this may be what you were looking for in response.

    =?Utf-8?B?UnlhbiBSaWRkZWxs?=, Aug 6, 2004
  5. Re: Best offline browser

    Check out this page:

    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer
    ..Net Developer
    Microsoft MVP
    Big things are made up
    of lots of little things.

    Kevin Spencer, Aug 6, 2004
  6. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Re: Best offline browser

    I think I've inadvertently sent people the wrong way.

    When I said offline browsers I meant software which could copy a site and
    allow for browsing (via IE, etc) when I'm disconnected from the internet.

    Sorry for any confusion caused.

    Andy, Aug 6, 2004
  7. Andy

    TJS Guest

    Re: Best offline browser

    IE is the dominant browser but I'm becoming quite fond of FireFox.

    It returns more pages correctly, runs faster and displays more images
    correctly.

    With IE I found too many pages returned as "page cannot be displayed" or red
    x's in place of images.
    With IE I also have problems with cookies and passport not working
    correctly.

    When I use FireFox there are no problems.

    TJS, Aug 6, 2004