(OT) Boa Constructor and Python 2.3.4

flupke

Hi,

i'm trying to get boa constructor working with Python 2.3.4
At first i tried with boa 0.2.3 but that gave me an error. After
searching the web, it appeared that it's best to work with the
CVS version. Well, i checked that version out and moved it
to C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wxPython\tools\boa
When i then try to run it "python boa.py" it gives me this
output (windows 2000):

C:\Python23>C:\Python23\python.exe
C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wxPython\tools\boa\boa.py
Starting Boa Constructor v0.2.8
importing wxPython
reading user preferences
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wxPython\tools\boa\boa.py", line 231,
in ?
import Preferences, Utils, About
File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wxPython\tools\boa\Preferences.py",
line 130, in ?
execfile(file)
File
"C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wxPython\tools\boa\Config\prefs.rc.py", line
25, in ?
splitterStyle = wxCLIP_CHILDREN | wxSP_LIVE_UPDATE | \
NameError: name 'wxSP_FULLSASH' is not defined

My wxPython is version 2.5.1.5u.
Any ideas?

Kind regards,
Benedict

flupke

Lothar Scholz said:
AFAIK the CVS version only works with wyPython 2.4.

Hhhmm. Bummer. I wanted to use it to quickly get a wxPython app
going as i'm pretty new to Python & wxWindows.
Well, i guess i can also "type" :)
Are there any other screen designers (i've tried wxGlade but it
seems a bit limited)

Benedict

news

I have installed (& run) boa on W2K and XP. On my home machine never any
probs, but at work on W2K and XP I found I had to edit 3 files / classes.
I hope this may help you
I've just installed python 2.2, wxpython 2.4, and Boa Constructor 0.2.0, on
win 2000 sp3.
When I click on the boa.py file, I get the Boa splash, and an 'Error
on startup" dialog with the details; '"global name 'string' is not defined".
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Ant (New to Python)

By: antonahill ( ant hill )
RE: error on startup
2003-01-27 03:59

Hi
I have it running.
I had to add 'string' to the Import statement at the beginning of
these files:
About.py, StyledTextCtrls.py, and PropertyEditors.py

regards
Darren

Lothar Scholz

Hhhmm. Bummer. I wanted to use it to quickly get a wxPython app
going as i'm pretty new to Python & wxWindows.
Well, i guess i can also "type" :)
Are there any other screen designers (i've tried wxGlade but it
seems a bit limited)

Benedict

Maybe WxDesigner, but commerical and looks a little bit strange when
you use it the first time.

Terry Reedy

flupke said:
C:\Python23>C:\Python23\python.exe
C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wxPython\tools\boa\boa.py
Starting Boa Constructor v0.2.8
importing wxPython
reading user preferences

Comments based on traceback and no knowledge of boa specifically. Since
you just asked for 'ideas' without giving specific questions or where you
get lost, I have to make some guesses.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wxPython\tools\boa\boa.py", line 231,
in ?
import Preferences, Utils, About
File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wxPython\tools\boa\Preferences.py",
line 130, in ?
execfile(file)

This executes 'file', which I presume is prefs.rc.py, *in* the current
(Preferences) module.
Preferences.py must either define or import the constants used in 'file'.
File
"C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\wxPython\tools\boa\Config\prefs.rc.py", line
25, in ?
splitterStyle = wxCLIP_CHILDREN | wxSP_LIVE_UPDATE | \

This line appears to be continued to another line, which presumably or's in
more constants, but traceback printer does not pick that up.
NameError: name 'wxSP_FULLSASH' is not defined

I would report this to boa people. In meanwhile, to get going, I would
find where constants are defined and add missing definition -- or remove
use of it.

Terry J. Reedy

Uwe Grauer

news said:
[...]

news,

boa 0.2.0 is a really old version.
I use boa 0.2.8 + python 2.3.x + wxpython 2.4.2.4
get boa 0.2.8. from:

http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/files/boa-constructor-0.2.8-snapshot.tgz

Currently boa isn't ready for wxpython 2.5.x!

Uwe

Gabriel Cooper

flupke said:
"Lothar Scholz" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht

Hhhmm. Bummer. I wanted to use it to quickly get a wxPython app
going as i'm pretty new to Python & wxWindows.
Well, i guess i can also "type" :)
Are there any other screen designers (i've tried wxGlade but it
seems a bit limited)
Just revert your wxPython install down to version 2.4.2. That's what I
did, anyway. In the end I found that I was too inept to be able to make
Boa-Constructor work and ended up writing it by hand. A big problem I've
found with wxPython in general is that the tracebacks it provides never
link back to your code. The traceback stays exclusively in the
site-packages/wxPython/ directory, which means that if you're relying on
Boa Constructor to make your GUI code you'll never figure out what the
hell is wrong. Better to either write it yourself or make a dummy
project where you test things out on BC then move selected changes over
to your app. It's kinda ghetto but it worked for me.

Gabriel.

JanC

"flupke" <[email protected]> schreef:

(Hallo mede-pandoriaan ;-)
Hhhmm. Bummer. I wanted to use it to quickly get a wxPython app
going as i'm pretty new to Python & wxWindows.
Well, i guess i can also "type" :)
Are there any other screen designers (i've tried wxGlade but it
seems a bit limited)

There is XRCed too: <http://xrced.sourceforge.net/>
(it's included with wxPython IIRC)

If you want "easier hand-coding" based on wxPython you might want to try:
- Wax <http://zephyrfalcon.org/moin.cgi/Wax>
- PythonCard <http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/>