    this affect me transferring hosting to someone else or selling the domain
    name?

    Thanks

    nc, Feb 3, 2005

  2. Re: But help really really needed re: Domain Name selling, hosting etc. problem

    While the city slept, nc () feverishly
    typed...

    > Sorry its OT...

    It's less OT than a lot that goes on in here! ;-)

    > I have a domain name www.pizzaspaghetti.com

    So you do...

    > A company is hosting a site there for me but they are not the
    > registrar (I think this is the correct name for the people u pay to
    > keep extending rights to the the domain name).

    Indeed. Registered through Melbourne and hosted by Portland.

    > Anyway, I think that the company who was hosting has gone bust.

    They don't appear to have done. Your pages are still up and Portland's web
    site is up-and-running.

    > How does this affect me transferring hosting to someone else or
    > selling the domain name?

    Shouldn't affect it at all. If your host goes bust, or starts annoying you,
    or doesn't send a christmas card one year, you are free to up and leave
    (contractual obligations aside) at any time. Just find another host, get an
    account, upload your files, and change the nameservers through your
    registrar. Shazam! :)

    Of course this is all academic as your host still seems to be alive, but if
    you have heard otherwise it may be an idea to start looking elsewhere!

    Incidentally, this is a good example of one of the early lessons I learned -
    to use seperate companies for your domain registration and your hosting, so
    if one goes belly-up you still have easy access to either the domain name or
    the hosted files.

    > Thanks

    Yer welcome. Can I have a free pizza? ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss