OT but may be significant

Discussion in 'C++' started by Ioannis Vranos, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. Although off topic, it may be of significance.

    From WinInfo Daily Update newsletter:

    Kodak Wins Patent-Infringement Suit Against Sun's Java

    After a 3-week trial, a federal jury decided that Sun Microsystems
    infringed on Kodak patents when Sun developed the Java programming
    language and runtime environment. The decision sets the stage for what
    could be a massive payout from Sun: Kodak is seeking more than $1
    billion in damages. The trial's penalty phase starts this week.
    "We are pleased that the court has validated Kodak's
    intellectual-property rights protecting these valuable innovations,"
    Kodak said in a statement issued yesterday. "Kodak has and continues
    to make substantial technology investments to ensure high-quality
    products." Sun has promised to mount a "vigorous defense" during the
    penalty stage, which isn't a bad idea: The $1.06 billion that Kodak is
    seeking is equal to half the operating profit Sun generated between
    1998 and June 2001, according to "The Wall Street Journal."
    Sun argued that it didn't infringe on Kodak's patents. Furthermore,
    Sun argued, Kodak's patents are invalid. Kodak obtained the patents in
    question when it purchased Wang Laboratories' imaging software
    division in 1997. The patents cover a method by which a software
    program can "ask for help" from another program. This method, Kodak
    said, is similar to how Java operates.

    --
    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys

    Ioannis Vranos, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Ioannis Vranos wrote:
    > Although off topic, it may be of significance.

    For whom?

    > From WinInfo Daily Update newsletter:
    >

    > Kodak Wins Patent-Infringement Suit Against Sun's Java
    > [...]

    So, more money to corporate lawyers... BFD

    Victor Bazarov, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Ioannis Vranos

    Mabden Guest

    "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    > Ioannis Vranos wrote:
    > >
    > > Kodak Wins Patent-Infringement Suit Against Sun's Java
    > > [...]

    > So, more money to corporate lawyers... BFD

    Is this because film is dying now that digital photos are the norm?

    --
    Mabden

    Mabden, Oct 7, 2004
  4. Mabden wrote:
    > "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ioannis Vranos wrote:
    >>
    >>>Kodak Wins Patent-Infringement Suit Against Sun's Java
    >>>[...]

    >>So, more money to corporate lawyers... BFD

    > Is this because film is dying now that digital photos are the norm?

    Kodak is probably grasping at straws at this point. What brought it
    to that is best answered by economy analysts. Elsewhere.

    Victor Bazarov, Oct 7, 2004
  5. And the latest developments:

    (WinInfo Daily Update newsletter)

    Sun Settles with Kodak for $92 Million
    Just days after a federal jury awarded Kodak a victory in its
    patent-infringement lawsuit against Sun, the two companies have
    settled the case, with Sun paying Kodak $92 million. Under terms of
    the agreement, Sun doesn't have to admit any wrongdoing and can
    continue to use the contested technology in its Java platform
    products. The agreement also prevents Kodak from pursuing Sun
    customers. "[This settlement] assures customers worldwide that Sun
    will stand behind its products and intellectual property and
    eliminates any uncertainty that could result from a protracted lawsuit
    and appeal," a Sun statement said.

    Honeywell Launches Massive Number of Patent-Infringement Lawsuits
    Weren't we just talking about patent infringement? This week,
    Honeywell launched lawsuits against more than 30 PC and consumer
    electronics companies, claiming violations of its LCD-related patents.
    Honeywell's victims include companies such as Apple Computer, Dell,
    Kodak, Sanyo, and Sony. Honeywell charges that these companies used
    its patented technology for brightening images and reducing
    interference on the LCDs used in notebook computers, cell phones, and
    other products. The company is seeking monetary damages (naturally)
    and injunctions to halt the sale of the offending products. This
    patent-infringement stuff is proving so lucrative that some companies
    apparently are starting to use it as their sole revenue source. Is it
    time for patent reform?

    Ioannis Vranos, Oct 8, 2004
  6. Ioannis Vranos

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Ioannis Vranos" <> wrote in message
    > And the latest developments:
    >

    > (WinInfo Daily Update newsletter)
    >

    > Sun Settles with Kodak for $92 Million

    How does this have the slightest thing to do with
    ISO C++?

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Oct 10, 2004
  7. Mike Wahler wrote:

    > How does this have the slightest thing to do with
    > ISO C++?

    It hasn't directly, that's why it was marked off-topic from the
    beginning. However if things had gone well, we would not have many of
    them around.

    Well I was optimist for a moment.

    Ioannis Vranos, Oct 10, 2004
  8. Ioannis Vranos

    > Mike Wahler wrote:
    >
    > > How does this have the slightest thing to do with
    > > ISO C++?

    > It hasn't directly,

    Or even indirectly, as far as I can tell.

    > that's why it was marked off-topic from the
    > beginning.

    If you already knew it was off topic, why did you post it?

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Oct 11, 2004