    For example, I would like to post a link here to
    example.com/farnakling. That page may include a link to
    example.com/contacts. Assuming that the contacts page does not contain
    a link I don't want you to be able to see any page at example.com
    except those two.

    I know the answer requires more than HTML and hence it is OT but I
    need advice on the minimum data required on the server. I would like
    to avoid anything that cannot reside in the home directory of my site.
    The server is Apache2.

    Gordon Levi, Nov 8, 2013

  2. Gordon Levi wrote:
    > I want to provide a link to a page on my site but I don't want the
    > visitor to be able to see (most) other pages. I would prefer it if the
    > visitor was able to follow a link on the referenced page and any
    > further links from that link.
    >
    > For example, I would like to post a link here to
    > example.com/farnakling. That page may include a link to
    > example.com/contacts. Assuming that the contacts page does not contain
    > a link I don't want you to be able to see any page at example.com
    > except those two.
    >
    > I know the answer requires more than HTML and hence it is OT but I
    > need advice on the minimum data required on the server. I would like
    > to avoid anything that cannot reside in the home directory of my site.
    > The server is Apache2.

    Question, are any other pages on your site public? That is like
    example.com/foo and example.com/bar accessible from the web without some
    login restriction? If so, then the answer is no. It the pages are
    public, then they are *public*. You can not put any links to other pages
    on your site within those two pages /farnakling & /contacts that would
    make it not readily traversable, but they could still find those other
    pages via a search engine or external links.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 8, 2013

  3. Gordon Levi

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    Gordon Levi <> wrote:
    > I want to provide a link to a page on my site but I don't want the
    > visitor to be able to see (most) other pages. I would prefer it if the
    > visitor was able to follow a link on the referenced page and any
    > further links from that link.

    > For example, I would like to post a link here to
    > example.com/farnakling. That page may include a link to
    > example.com/contacts. Assuming that the contacts page does not contain
    > a link I don't want you to be able to see any page at example.com
    > except those two.

    A SPECIFIC visitor? What other pages exist and how would they be accessed?

    There are many things you can do (HTTP Auth, referrer checks, cgi) but
    it's hard to guess what you really want.

    > I know the answer requires more than HTML and hence it is OT but I
    > need advice on the minimum data required on the server. I would like
    > to avoid anything that cannot reside in the home directory of my site.
    > The server is Apache2.

    That depends a lot on what the Apache install will allow you to do.

    --
    "It's unacceptable to think" - George W Bush 15/Sep/2006

    Lewis, Nov 9, 2013
  4. Gordon Levi

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Gordon Levi <> wrote:

    > I want to provide a link to a page on my site but I don't want the
    > visitor to be able to see (most) other pages. I would prefer it if the
    > visitor was able to follow a link on the referenced page and any
    > further links from that link.
    >
    > For example, I would like to post a link here to
    > example.com/farnakling. That page may include a link to
    > example.com/contacts. Assuming that the contacts page does not contain
    > a link I don't want you to be able to see any page at example.com
    > except those two.
    >
    > I know the answer requires more than HTML and hence it is OT but I
    > need advice on the minimum data required on the server. I would like
    > to avoid anything that cannot reside in the home directory of my site.
    > The server is Apache2.

    Yes, you can do some of this to an extent. First don't overestimate
    the trouble visitors will go to. If you choose unlikely paths (meaning
    folders) and names for the pages that you are allowing, if you
    furthermore make your domain name index page one with no links you can
    probably get close enough to what you want. You can to a certain
    extent stop search engines noting your pages to help be invisible.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 9, 2013
  5. Gordon Levi

    Gordon Levi Guest

    Lewis <> wrote:

    >In message <>
    > Gordon Levi <> wrote:
    >> I want to provide a link to a page on my site but I don't want the
    >> visitor to be able to see (most) other pages. I would prefer it if the
    >> visitor was able to follow a link on the referenced page and any
    >> further links from that link.

    >> For example, I would like to post a link here to
    >> example.com/farnakling. That page may include a link to
    >> example.com/contacts. Assuming that the contacts page does not contain
    >> a link I don't want you to be able to see any page at example.com
    >> except those two.

    >A SPECIFIC visitor?

    No, I really meant "a link here" so that anybody who read my post
    could access it. It would a clumsy solution but posting the link
    together with a page specific user name and password could be
    acceptable.

    > What other pages exist and how would they be accessed?

    The other pages would be similar. Imagine the whole site is devoted to
    answering questions or posting stuff in newsgroups. I only want
    readers to access the page(s) that are specific to one post but
    another post would probably refer to a different page on the same
    site. I don't need to have any content at the top level so a visitor
    to example.com could just see a bland placeholder page that is not
    linked to any other pages or also linked to a contacts page. I am
    prepared to have multiple, identical contacts pages.

    >There are many things you can do (HTTP Auth, referrer checks, cgi) but
    >it's hard to guess what you really want.
    >
    >> I know the answer requires more than HTML and hence it is OT but I
    >> need advice on the minimum data required on the server. I would like
    >> to avoid anything that cannot reside in the home directory of my site.
    >> The server is Apache2.

    >That depends a lot on what the Apache install will allow you to do.

    Sorry, "reside in the home directory of my site" was a useless attempt
    to provide that information.

    My preferred host is a free one, <http://000webhost.com>, but I would
    rather avoid PHP. I could host the site myself if that provides an
    easy solution to the problem.

    Gordon Levi, Nov 9, 2013
  6. Gordon Levi

    Gordon Levi Guest

    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    >Gordon Levi wrote:
    >> I want to provide a link to a page on my site but I don't want the
    >> visitor to be able to see (most) other pages. I would prefer it if the
    >> visitor was able to follow a link on the referenced page and any
    >> further links from that link.
    >>
    >> For example, I would like to post a link here to
    >> example.com/farnakling. That page may include a link to
    >> example.com/contacts. Assuming that the contacts page does not contain
    >> a link I don't want you to be able to see any page at example.com
    >> except those two.
    >>
    >> I know the answer requires more than HTML and hence it is OT but I
    >> need advice on the minimum data required on the server. I would like
    >> to avoid anything that cannot reside in the home directory of my site.
    >> The server is Apache2.
    >>

    >Question, are any other pages on your site public?

    All the pages can have similar restrictions.
    > That is like
    >example.com/foo and example.com/bar accessible from the web without some
    >login restriction? If so, then the answer is no. It the pages are
    >public, then they are *public*. You can not put any links to other pages
    >on your site within those two pages /farnakling & /contacts that would
    >make it not readily traversable, but they could still find those other
    >pages via a search engine or external links.

    I hoped to prevent most search engines from referencing example.com
    with noindex. Not that the rest of the site is top secret, I just
    would prefer it if a reference to one page did not lead to someone
    reading the entire site. There is no reason why any other pages need
    to have a reference to /farnakling or its contacts page.

    Gordon Levi, Nov 9, 2013
  7. Gordon Levi <> writes:
    <snip>
    > The other pages would be similar. Imagine the whole site is devoted to
    > answering questions or posting stuff in newsgroups. I only want
    > readers to access the page(s) that are specific to one post but
    > another post would probably refer to a different page on the same
    > site.

    I don't think this is realistic and I can't see the motivation. If all
    the pages are answers to questions, with publicly posted URLs, you can't
    stop someone following a link in another post. But the most puzzling
    thing is why do you care? I think if you said what the *reason* for
    this is you might get more helpful answers.

    <snip>
    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Nov 9, 2013
  8. Gordon Levi

    Gordon Levi Guest

    Gordon Levi <> wrote:

    >I want to provide a link to a page on my site but I don't want the
    >visitor to be able to see (most) other pages. I would prefer it if the
    >visitor was able to follow a link on the referenced page and any
    >further links from that link.
    >
    >For example, I would like to post a link here to
    >example.com/farnakling. That page may include a link to
    >example.com/contacts. Assuming that the contacts page does not contain
    >a link I don't want you to be able to see any page at example.com
    >except those two.
    >
    >I know the answer requires more than HTML and hence it is OT but I
    >need advice on the minimum data required on the server. I would like
    >to avoid anything that cannot reside in the home directory of my site.
    >The server is Apache2.

    I am beginning to suspect that this was a stupid question. If there
    are no references between the pages on my site except those similar to
    my farnakling example above how would a visitor discover the other
    pages? I'm assuming I could limit their discovery by a search engine.

    Gordon Levi, Nov 9, 2013
  9. Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    > Gordon Levi <> writes:
    > <snip>
    >> The other pages would be similar. Imagine the whole site is devoted to
    >> answering questions or posting stuff in newsgroups. I only want
    >> readers to access the page(s) that are specific to one post but
    >> another post would probably refer to a different page on the same
    >> site.

    > I don't think this is realistic and I can't see the motivation. If all
    > the pages are answers to questions, with publicly posted URLs, you can't
    > stop someone following a link in another post. But the most puzzling
    > thing is why do you care? I think if you said what the *reason* for
    > this is you might get more helpful answers.
    >
    > <snip>

    Agree, I don't see the OP's intentions. I mean you can have a website
    with the Apache no indexes option:

    Options -Indexes

    And then do not have any and index page, e.g., index.html, and then if
    the web pages do not have any other links to any other then someone
    could not iterate through all the pages. But if you post the URL to the
    page ANYONE seeing the post, including search engines, will be able to
    see the page.

    I do that with examples that I post to usenet and have done for years
    but that does not stop others from see the page unless I delete the
    page. Like this one from back in 2008 for one of the html NGs

    <http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/usenet/alt.html.20080410.html>

    I do not bother to delete them so they are still accessible from NG
    archives.

    But if OP wants to have a page ONLY for one person and only for THAT
    person, then he would have to have some user registration at his
    website. However that still would make no sense to post such a link in a
    PUBLIC newsgroup.

    This all seems to relate to one of my theorems of the Internet which os
    usually in response "How to I hide my HTML?", and that is 'The true
    value of something is inversely proportional to the effort to "protect" it'.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 9, 2013
  10. Gordon Levi <> writes:

    > Gordon Levi <> wrote:
    >
    >>I want to provide a link to a page on my site but I don't want the
    >>visitor to be able to see (most) other pages. I would prefer it if the
    >>visitor was able to follow a link on the referenced page and any
    >>further links from that link.
    >>
    >>For example, I would like to post a link here to
    >>example.com/farnakling. That page may include a link to
    >>example.com/contacts. Assuming that the contacts page does not contain
    >>a link I don't want you to be able to see any page at example.com
    >>except those two.
    >>
    >>I know the answer requires more than HTML and hence it is OT but I
    >>need advice on the minimum data required on the server. I would like
    >>to avoid anything that cannot reside in the home directory of my site.
    >>The server is Apache2.

    > I am beginning to suspect that this was a stupid question. If there
    > are no references between the pages on my site except those similar to
    > my farnakling example above how would a visitor discover the other
    > pages? I'm assuming I could limit their discovery by a search engine.

    In another post you suggested that the purpose is to post links on
    Usenet. I do this (occasionally) with www.bsb.me.uk/testing links.
    Even if a search engine does not index the page, most will find the
    links in news archives. If someone likes one answer, they can search
    for "www.bsb.me.uk/testing" and they'll get most of the others. I
    suppose you could mark your posts as "do not archive", but I'm not sure
    how reliable that is.

    Please just tell us *why* you want to stop someone finding some other
    posted link?

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Nov 9, 2013
  11. Gordon Levi

    Gordon Levi Guest

    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >dorayme wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Gordon Levi <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to provide a link to a page on my site but I don't want the
    >>> visitor to be able to see (most) other pages. I would prefer it if the
    >>> visitor was able to follow a link on the referenced page and any
    >>> further links from that link.
    >>>
    >>> For example, I would like to post a link here to
    >>> example.com/farnakling. That page may include a link to
    >>> example.com/contacts. Assuming that the contacts page does not contain
    >>> a link I don't want you to be able to see any page at example.com
    >>> except those two.
    >>>
    >>> I know the answer requires more than HTML and hence it is OT but I
    >>> need advice on the minimum data required on the server. I would like
    >>> to avoid anything that cannot reside in the home directory of my site.
    >>> The server is Apache2.

    >> Yes, you can do some of this to an extent. First don't overestimate
    >> the trouble visitors will go to. If you choose unlikely paths (meaning
    >> folders) and names for the pages that you are allowing, if you
    >> furthermore make your domain name index page one with no links you can
    >> probably get close enough to what you want. You can to a certain
    >> extent stop search engines noting your pages to help be invisible.
    >>

    >That was my reaction too. Further, if
    >
    >example.com/foo
    >
    >is not linked to from /any/ other page it is highly unlikely that any
    >search engine could find it. I have a few folders and pages on my
    >server that are like that. Never been found in many years by any search
    >engine.

    Thanks to you both. I was much slower in realising I probably did not
    have a problem.

    Now that I know about your "hidden" pages Ed, is there a way I might
    systematically find them? I mean, say, twenty minutes of my time
    rather than a search by the NSA.

    Gordon Levi, Nov 9, 2013
  12. Gordon Levi wrote:

    > I am beginning to suspect that this was a stupid question. If there
    > are no references between the pages on my site except those similar to
    > my farnakling example above how would a visitor discover the other
    > pages? I'm assuming I could limit their discovery by a search engine.

    You may consider using a robots.txt file[1] to forbid bots access to
    certain resources. If the bots follow this advice depends -- however,
    search engine crawlers most likely do.

    [1] <http://www.robotstxt.org/robotstxt.html>

    --
    Christoph M. Becker

    Christoph Michael Becker, Nov 9, 2013
  13. Gordon Levi

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    Gordon Levi <> wrote:
    > Lewis <> wrote:

    >>In message <>
    >> Gordon Levi <> wrote:
    >>> I want to provide a link to a page on my site but I don't want the
    >>> visitor to be able to see (most) other pages. I would prefer it if the
    >>> visitor was able to follow a link on the referenced page and any
    >>> further links from that link.

    >>> For example, I would like to post a link here to
    >>> example.com/farnakling. That page may include a link to
    >>> example.com/contacts. Assuming that the contacts page does not contain
    >>> a link I don't want you to be able to see any page at example.com
    >>> except those two.

    >>A SPECIFIC visitor?

    > No, I really meant "a link here" so that anybody who read my post
    > could access it. It would a clumsy solution but posting the link
    > together with a page specific user name and password could be
    > acceptable.

    >> What other pages exist and how would they be accessed?

    > The other pages would be similar. Imagine the whole site is devoted to
    > answering questions or posting stuff in newsgroups. I only want
    > readers to access the page(s) that are specific to one post but
    > another post would probably refer to a different page on the same
    > site.

    OK, if you do not have links between pages, how are you imagining that a
    persons would get from a page on your site to another pay? Just by
    guessing the name?

    --
    Qui me amat, amat et canem meam

    Lewis, Nov 9, 2013
  14. Gordon Levi

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    Gordon Levi <> wrote:
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    >>Gordon Levi wrote:
    >>> I want to provide a link to a page on my site but I don't want the
    >>> visitor to be able to see (most) other pages. I would prefer it if the
    >>> visitor was able to follow a link on the referenced page and any
    >>> further links from that link.
    >>>
    >>> For example, I would like to post a link here to
    >>> example.com/farnakling. That page may include a link to
    >>> example.com/contacts. Assuming that the contacts page does not contain
    >>> a link I don't want you to be able to see any page at example.com
    >>> except those two.
    >>>
    >>> I know the answer requires more than HTML and hence it is OT but I
    >>> need advice on the minimum data required on the server. I would like
    >>> to avoid anything that cannot reside in the home directory of my site.
    >>> The server is Apache2.
    >>>

    >>Question, are any other pages on your site public?

    > All the pages can have similar restrictions.
    >> That is like
    >>example.com/foo and example.com/bar accessible from the web without some
    >>login restriction? If so, then the answer is no. It the pages are
    >>public, then they are *public*. You can not put any links to other pages
    >>on your site within those two pages /farnakling & /contacts that would
    >>make it not readily traversable, but they could still find those other
    >>pages via a search engine or external links.

    > I hoped to prevent most search engines from referencing example.com
    > with noindex. Not that the rest of the site is top secret, I just
    > would prefer it if a reference to one page did not lead to someone
    > reading the entire site. There is no reason why any other pages need
    > to have a reference to /farnakling or its contacts page.

    robots.txt will prevent search indexes from indexing you.

    --
    Standing on the moon with nothing else to do
    A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you

    Lewis, Nov 9, 2013
  15. On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 02:00:43 +1100, Gordon Levi wrote:

    > I want to provide a link to a page on my site but I don't want the
    > visitor to be able to see (most) other pages. I would prefer it if the
    > visitor was able to follow a link on the referenced page and any further
    > links from that link.

    Anyone knowing the uri for a web page can request it. Trying to keep the
    uri of a web page secret is "security through obscurity", and fails as
    soon as one person who knows the uri discloses it to someone who isn't
    meant to know it.

    Once people know that it's there, they can see it.

    There are mechanisms you can use. They need various levels of support on
    the webserver, and your ability to implement them depends on how much
    control you have over the server? Some web accounts (eg free ones) give
    you much less control than others.

    --
    Denis McMahon,

    Denis McMahon, Nov 9, 2013
  16. Gordon Levi

    Gordon Levi Guest

    Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:

    >Gordon Levi <> writes:
    ><snip>
    >> The other pages would be similar. Imagine the whole site is devoted to
    >> answering questions or posting stuff in newsgroups. I only want
    >> readers to access the page(s) that are specific to one post but
    >> another post would probably refer to a different page on the same
    >> site.

    >I don't think this is realistic and I can't see the motivation. If all
    >the pages are answers to questions, with publicly posted URLs, you can't
    >stop someone following a link in another post. But the most puzzling
    >thing is why do you care? I think if you said what the *reason* for
    >this is you might get more helpful answers.

    As an example, suppose you post here asking me for the meaning of
    life. I reply with a reference to my example.com/meaning_of_life page.
    Although this provides a complete answer to your question instead of
    being duly grateful someone is certain to complain that the
    explanation of the marquee tag on my site could lead to its sinful
    use. They will question the *reason* why someone who understands the
    meaning of life would be mistaken about the marquee tag.

    Gordon Levi, Nov 10, 2013
  17. Gordon Levi

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Gordon Levi <> wrote:

    > As an example, suppose you post here asking me for the meaning of
    > life. I reply with a reference to my example.com/meaning_of_life page.
    > Although this provides a complete answer to your question instead of
    > being duly grateful someone is certain to complain that the
    > explanation of the marquee tag on my site could lead to its sinful
    > use. They will question the *reason* why someone who understands the
    > meaning of life would be mistaken about the marquee tag.

    Absolutely correct. In my long experience, those who know the meaning
    of life can often get the trivialities of life wrong, and it is an
    impertinence for them to be told the details.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 10, 2013
  18. Gordon Levi <> writes:

    > Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:
    >
    >>Gordon Levi <> writes:
    >><snip>
    >>> The other pages would be similar. Imagine the whole site is devoted to
    >>> answering questions or posting stuff in newsgroups. I only want
    >>> readers to access the page(s) that are specific to one post but
    >>> another post would probably refer to a different page on the same
    >>> site.

    >>I don't think this is realistic and I can't see the motivation. If all
    >>the pages are answers to questions, with publicly posted URLs, you can't
    >>stop someone following a link in another post. But the most puzzling
    >>thing is why do you care? I think if you said what the *reason* for
    >>this is you might get more helpful answers.

    > As an example, suppose you post here asking me for the meaning of
    > life. I reply with a reference to my example.com/meaning_of_life page.
    > Although this provides a complete answer to your question instead of
    > being duly grateful someone is certain to complain that the
    > explanation of the marquee tag on my site could lead to its sinful
    > use. They will question the *reason* why someone who understands the
    > meaning of life would be mistaken about the marquee tag.

    Hmmm, still puzzled. If you stand by what you post, why does it matter?
    If you don't (maybe because attitudes change -- they do about HTML) then
    periodically remove those pages that you'd rather not have people see.
    If there are no inter-page links, all people will see is a dead link in
    an old Usenet post (so don't call it example.com/why-marquee-is-the-
    best-thing-since-flashing-gifs.html).

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Nov 10, 2013
  19. Gordon Levi wrote:
    > Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon Levi <> writes:
    >> <snip>
    >>> The other pages would be similar. Imagine the whole site is devoted to
    >>> answering questions or posting stuff in newsgroups. I only want
    >>> readers to access the page(s) that are specific to one post but
    >>> another post would probably refer to a different page on the same
    >>> site.

    >> I don't think this is realistic and I can't see the motivation. If all
    >> the pages are answers to questions, with publicly posted URLs, you can't
    >> stop someone following a link in another post. But the most puzzling
    >> thing is why do you care? I think if you said what the *reason* for
    >> this is you might get more helpful answers.

    > As an example, suppose you post here asking me for the meaning of
    > life. I reply with a reference to my example.com/meaning_of_life page.
    > Although this provides a complete answer to your question instead of
    > being duly grateful someone is certain to complain that the
    > explanation of the marquee tag on my site could lead to its sinful
    > use. They will question the *reason* why someone who understands the
    > meaning of life would be mistaken about the marquee tag.

    If you are so uncertain about *publishing* your thoughts online, then
    the best answer is *don't*. Instead get a piece of paper and write it
    down there, then show the paper to no one and then *immediately* take a
    match and burn the piece of paper.

    Sorry but I think you are being really silly here and worrying over nothing.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 10, 2013
  20. Lewis wrote:
    > In message <>
    > Gordon Levi <> wrote:
    >> Lewis <> wrote:

    >>> A SPECIFIC visitor?

    >> No, I really meant "a link here" so that anybody who read my post
    >> could access it. It would a clumsy solution but posting the link
    >> together with a page specific user name and password could be
    >> acceptable.

    >>> What other pages exist and how would they be accessed?

    >> The other pages would be similar. Imagine the whole site is devoted to
    >> answering questions or posting stuff in newsgroups. I only want
    >> readers to access the page(s) that are specific to one post but
    >> another post would probably refer to a different page on the same
    >> site.

    > OK, if you do not have links between pages, how are you imagining that a
    > persons would get from a page on your site to another pay? Just by
    > guessing the name?

    That is one way, another is from an old post, another if someone else
    add a link in their blog to your page...countless ways.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 10, 2013