[OT]Can I restrict a visitor to a subset of my site?

Gordon Levi

Ben Bacarisse said:
Hmmm, still puzzled. If you stand by what you post, why does it matter?

I can see why you are puzzled! I would prefer to keep the thread on
the subject of the meaning of life rather than have it derailed by a
discussion of the marquee tag.
If you don't (maybe because attitudes change -- they do about HTML) then
periodically remove those pages that you'd rather not have people see.

On my "serious" site I change the page to reflect my current opinion
or inform the visitor that it is obsolete. I don't like to remove the
page.

Gordon Levi

dorayme said:
Absolutely correct. In my long experience, those who know the meaning
of life can often get the trivialities of life wrong, and it is an
impertinence for them to be told the details.

And I thought my post was off topic! Anyway, I am delighted that
somebody understands me. It is particularly impressive because you
have not only appreciated my talent for understanding the larger
issues, you have gently corrected my misunderstanding of the details.

Gordon Levi

wrote:

Yes, I'm not trying to stop everyone finding my posts if that is what
they feel like doing. As this thread amply illustrates there is a
strong tendency to stray from the topic and I wanted to minimise that
for one particular set of circumstances.
If someone likes one answer, they can search

As a further illustration of how to get a thread off topic I think
this statement is false unless your posts have been reprinted in web
based forums. There seems something drastically wrong with Google
string searches in Google groups and Bing does not index them at all.
Does somebody else?

Ben Bacarisse

Gordon Levi said:
As a further illustration of how to get a thread off topic I think
this statement is false unless your posts have been reprinted in web
based forums. There seems something drastically wrong with Google
string searches in Google groups and Bing does not index them at all.
Does somebody else?

Goggle does. Google groups may be broken (goodness knows they've tried)
but Google's main search seems to index Usenet. I didn't know that Bing
would not find them. DuckDuckGo finds them because it indexes some
sites that carry copies of some Usenet groups.

The exact method of finding them is not really the point. Post an be
happy about it!

<snip>