[OT] Copyright infringement != Theft

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Noob, Aug 3, 2011.

  1. Noob

    Noob Guest

    Angel wrote:

    > If I steal your identity or your credit card number, you still have
    > them. Yet it is considered theft all the same. This is the digital age,
    > stealing no longer has to involve physically taking something. That is a
    > little fact that should not be ignored.

    You're not even wrong.

    A bad analogy is like a leaky screw driver.

    You can steal a credit card, yes. You cannot, I repeat CANNOT,
    "steal a credit card number", because "stealing" involves
    depriving someone of something. People will probably figure
    out what you're trying to say, just like adults understand
    the approximations of a 3-year old.

    And there is no such thing as "identity theft" either, it's
    just an imperfect analogy created by the media to turn a
    concept (someone impersonating you by using your credentials)
    into a cool sound bite.

    To recap, you do NOT steal my identity, and you do NOT steal
    my credit card number. If your premises are false, then your
    entire argument falls to pieces.
    Noob, Aug 3, 2011

  2. Noob <root@127.0.0.1> writes:
    [snip]

    If you *must* post stuff that has nothing to do with C here, can
    you at least leave the subject header alone?

    Or better yet, take it someplace where it's actually topical,
    like misc.int-property.

    Nokia
    Keith Thompson, Aug 3, 2011