[OT] Data structures book

DJP

Hi,

This post is a bit OT. I am looking for a good book on Data Structures -
could anyone suggest any good books that are the standard books on this
topic? (Cormen, Rivest et al. is pretty much the standard book for
algorithms[IMHO]. I am looking for something that is the prescribed text for
this topic[i.e Data structures]. Or at least something close enough). I am
not necessarily looking for Data structures in C\C++, but any on those are
also welcome.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

red floyd

DJP said:
Hi,

This post is a bit OT. I am looking for a good book on Data Structures -
could anyone suggest any good books that are the standard books on this
topic? (Cormen, Rivest et al. is pretty much the standard book for
algorithms[IMHO]. I am looking for something that is the prescribed text for
this topic[i.e Data structures]. Or at least something close enough). I am
not necessarily looking for Data structures in C\C++, but any on those are
also welcome.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

You're OT, but what the heck. Just turning around and looking at my
bookshelf, I can see several good ones:

Niklaus Wirth: "Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs"
(yes, it's *THAT* Wirth)

Aho, Hopcroft and Ullman: "Data Structures and Algorithms"

Aho, Hopcroft and Ullman: "The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms"

Horowitz and Sahni: "Fundamentals of Computer Algorithms"

Christopher Benson-Manica

In comp.lang.c DJP said:
This post is a bit OT.

Yeah. Avoid crossposting to C and C++ newsgroups in the future.
Followups set.
I am looking for a good book on Data Structures -
could anyone suggest any good books that are the standard books on this
topic? (Cormen, Rivest et al. is pretty much the standard book for
algorithms[IMHO]. I am looking for something that is the prescribed text for
this topic[i.e Data structures]. Or at least something close enough). I am
not necessarily looking for Data structures in C\C++, but any on those are
also welcome.

You might find the "Gang of Four" book helpful - "Design Patterns" by
Gamma, Helm, Johnson, and Vlissides.

CBFalconer

DJP said:
This post is a bit OT. I am looking for a good book on Data
Structures - could anyone suggest any good books that are the
standard books on this topic? (Cormen, Rivest et al. is pretty
much the standard book for algorithms[IMHO]. I am looking for
something that is the prescribed text for this topic[i.e Data
structures]. Or at least something close enough). I am not
necessarily looking for Data structures in C\C++, but any on
those are also welcome.

Far OT, and anything crossposted to c.l.c and c.l.c++ is almost
certainly a mistake. F'ups set to a more suitable newsgroup,
comp.programming.

One of the classics in this area is Wirths "Algorithms + Data
Structures = Programs". Good luck finding it.

Mark P

DJP said:
Hi,

This post is a bit OT. I am looking for a good book on Data Structures -
could anyone suggest any good books that are the standard books on this
topic? (Cormen, Rivest et al. is pretty much the standard book for
algorithms[IMHO]. I am looking for something that is the prescribed text for
this topic[i.e Data structures]. Or at least something close enough). I am
not necessarily looking for Data structures in C\C++, but any on those are
also welcome.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA.
I find Cormen et al. to be a good reference for data structures in
addition to algorithms. After all, you can't do much with the latter
without the former.