    manage multiple domains graphically (editing Apache config files is no joy).

    Opinions?

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Oct 15, 2004

  2. Re: Dedicated Server

    "Jeff Thies" <> wrote in message
    news:glVbd.5401$...
    > I'm getting very tired of bad tech support and am considering a
    > dedicated server. I see that you can get these now for under $100/month.
    >
    > I'd probably go Linux and Apache, although I see that win2000 and
    > win2003 boxes run MySQL, perl, php and other typical *nix stuff rather
    > well.
    >
    > I'm concerned about security, as I have little knowledge of this.
    > Setting up the box is less problematic but I would need a utility to
    > manage multiple domains graphically (editing Apache config files is no
    > joy).
    >
    > Opinions?

    Get a managed dedicated server. That way you get all the fun and none of
    the administration hassles of having your own server.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Managed, Dedicated and Colo Servers
    http://www.AxisHost.com - High bandwidth Cpanel Hosting Accounts

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Oct 15, 2004

  3. Jeff Thies

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Re: Dedicated Server

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:

    > Get a managed dedicated server. That way you get all the fun and none of
    > the administration hassles of having your own server.

    The administration hassles *are* the fun!

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./goo_goo_dolls/name.ogg

    Toby Inkster, Oct 16, 2004
  4. Jeff Thies

    Karl Core Guest

    Re: Dedicated Server

    "Toby Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:
    >
    >> Get a managed dedicated server. That way you get all the fun and none
    >> of
    >> the administration hassles of having your own server.

    > The administration hassles *are* the fun!

    Masochist!

    -Karl

    Karl Core, Oct 17, 2004
  5. Jeff Thies

    Ken Guest

    Re: Dedicated Server

    Hi Karl and Toby -

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:01:29 -0400, "Karl Core"
    <> wrote:

    >"Toby Inkster" <> wrote in message
    >> Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Get a managed dedicated server. That way you get all the fun and none
    >>> of
    >>> the administration hassles of having your own server.

    >> The administration hassles *are* the fun!
    >>

    >Masochist!

    I guess it depends on how you define "hassles". Dealing with problems
    is not fun; but editing your own config files is.

    I consider it fun to be in complete control over my domains; that's
    why I went from virtual hosting to a virtual server and then to an
    in-house server that's sitting about five feet away from me. I built
    it. I installed the operating system (linux) and application
    software. I configured it using a text editor.

    Ditto for my firewall/router, whose iptables script I developed
    myself, so I understand what it is doing.

    --
    Ken
    http://www.ke9nr.net/

    Ken, Oct 17, 2004