OT: Dedicated Server

Jeff Thies

I'm getting very tired of bad tech support and am considering a
dedicated server. I see that you can get these now for under $100/month.

I'd probably go Linux and Apache, although I see that win2000 and
win2003 boxes run MySQL, perl, php and other typical *nix stuff rather well.

I'm concerned about security, as I have little knowledge of this.
Setting up the box is less problematic but I would need a utility to
manage multiple domains graphically (editing Apache config files is no joy).

Opinions?

Jeff

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Jeff Thies said:
I'm getting very tired of bad tech support and am considering a
dedicated server. I see that you can get these now for under $100/month.

I'd probably go Linux and Apache, although I see that win2000 and
win2003 boxes run MySQL, perl, php and other typical *nix stuff rather
well.

I'm concerned about security, as I have little knowledge of this.
Setting up the box is less problematic but I would need a utility to
manage multiple domains graphically (editing Apache config files is no
joy).

Opinions?

Get a managed dedicated server. That way you get all the fun and none of
the administration hassles of having your own server.

--Tina

Toby Inkster

Tina said:
Get a managed dedicated server. That way you get all the fun and none of
the administration hassles of having your own server.

The administration hassles *are* the fun!

Ken

Hi Karl and Toby -

Masochist!

I guess it depends on how you define "hassles". Dealing with problems
is not fun; but editing your own config files is.

I consider it fun to be in complete control over my domains; that's
why I went from virtual hosting to a virtual server and then to an
in-house server that's sitting about five feet away from me. I built
it. I installed the operating system (linux) and application
software. I configured it using a text editor.

Ditto for my firewall/router, whose iptables script I developed
myself, so I understand what it is doing.