OT: Dev Box Configuration

Smithers

I have a development PC that has been working great for several years for
SQL Server 2000 and .NET 1.1 development. It has a PIV 2.4G processor, 512
RAM, 7200/8MB cache RPM IDE hard drive.

I have seen people in the various NGs claim that one *must* have a
significantly faster box with gobs of RAM when developing with VS 2005 and
SQL Server 2005. Is this true? Or are many of you running fine on a box like
the one I already have (as described above)?

Yes I know more is better... just wondering if I really *must* develop with
a more powerful box.

Thanks.

Steven Nagy

My laptop is 1.6ghz Pentium M and 512mb Ram.
I have been working on a VS2005 ASP.NET application lately.

I have noticed slow downs, especially after a custom code gen where it
tries to parse the pasted code.
This slow down is MASSIVE.

Sometimes I have to recompile something 3 times in a row before it gets
rid of the make believe build errors, but this might be a VS bug, not a
computer issue.

Generally I have been getting by though, so you should be ok on your PC
I reckon.

Sorry, not using SQL 2005 yet.

Dave Frommer

I was using a machine with 2005 for about 4 months that has 1 gig of RAM and
a 2.8 Ghtz processor. It was acceptable, but, a bit slow using Management
Studio and Visual Studio.

Last week I installed in a a laptop with 2 gig RAM and a 2.4 ghtz processor.
The difference is amazing and SQL 2005 responds much better. SO, More RAM
will definitely speed it up.

JT

The problem with running SQL Server (even the Developer edition) on a
non-dedicated workstation is that SQL Server wants to buffer memory for it's
own use. This may leave insufficient physical memory when building a large
application with Visual Studio.NET, re-processing cubes in Analysis
Services, etc. and result in virtual memory paging to disk.

You can use Performance Monitor to determine what exactly is going on:
http://www.informit.com/guides/content.asp?g=sqlserver&seqNum=28&rl=1
Also, see if the following helps:
How to adjust memory usage by using configuration options in SQL Server
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q321363