    Yes I know more is better... just wondering if I really *must* develop with
    a more powerful box.

    Thanks.
    Smithers, Feb 9, 2006

  2. Smithers

    Steven Nagy Guest

    My laptop is 1.6ghz Pentium M and 512mb Ram.
    I have been working on a VS2005 ASP.NET application lately.

    I have noticed slow downs, especially after a custom code gen where it
    tries to parse the pasted code.
    This slow down is MASSIVE.

    Sometimes I have to recompile something 3 times in a row before it gets
    rid of the make believe build errors, but this might be a VS bug, not a
    computer issue.

    Generally I have been getting by though, so you should be ok on your PC
    I reckon.

    Sorry, not using SQL 2005 yet.
    Steven Nagy, Feb 9, 2006

  3. Smithers

    Dave Frommer Guest

    Re: Dev Box Configuration

    I was using a machine with 2005 for about 4 months that has 1 gig of RAM and
    a 2.8 Ghtz processor. It was acceptable, but, a bit slow using Management
    Studio and Visual Studio.

    Last week I installed in a a laptop with 2 gig RAM and a 2.4 ghtz processor.
    The difference is amazing and SQL 2005 responds much better. SO, More RAM
    will definitely speed it up.

    Dave Frommer, Feb 9, 2006
  4. Smithers

    JT Guest

    Re: Dev Box Configuration

    The problem with running SQL Server (even the Developer edition) on a
    non-dedicated workstation is that SQL Server wants to buffer memory for it's
    own use. This may leave insufficient physical memory when building a large
    application with Visual Studio.NET, re-processing cubes in Analysis
    Services, etc. and result in virtual memory paging to disk.

    You can use Performance Monitor to determine what exactly is going on:
    http://www.informit.com/guides/content.asp?g=sqlserver&seqNum=28&rl=1
    Also, see if the following helps:
    How to adjust memory usage by using configuration options in SQL Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q321363

    JT, Feb 9, 2006