(OT) Dll and Lib (Do Correct Me)

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by ranjeet.gupta@gmail.com, May 18, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Dear All,

    I have a querry regarding the .dll and .lib,

    what I understood I am pendowing , well suppose Imake a program in
    which I have a
    function named MyFunction();

    int main ()
    {
    int Value = MyFunction();
    return 0;
    }

    int MyFunction()
    {
    return 10;
    }

    Now if I make the dll and the lib for this program, then what will
    happen.

    According to me:

    For .dll the MyFunction() will have single copy and will be accessed in
    sharing mode
    throught other programms which call the MyFunction()

    For .lib MyFunction() will have the mutilpile copy and will be accessed
    throught the other
    programs with each having the separate copy.

    Does From above Can I Conclude that the Process with the .lib will be
    faster ?
    (No doubt its consuming the lots of memory) ? (Separate copy for
    Separate calls)

    Apart from this what are the diffrences between them ?

    So when ever I use and dll and lib then I include both .dll and .lib in
    the settings ?
    I am using VC6
    Why both is needed to add in the program ? as both can do the same
    thing as
    waht i have stated above.

    Please do correct me if I am wrong?

    Thanks In advance
    Ranjeet
    , May 18, 2006

  2. pemo Guest

    wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I have a querry regarding the .dll and .lib,
    >
    > what I understood I am pendowing , well suppose Imake a program in
    > which I have a
    > function named MyFunction();
    >
    > int main ()
    > {
    > int Value = MyFunction();
    > return 0;
    > }
    >
    > int MyFunction()
    > {
    > return 10;
    > }
    >

    > Now if I make the dll and the lib for this program, then what will
    > happen.
    >
    > According to me:
    >
    > For .dll the MyFunction() will have single copy and will be accessed
    > in sharing mode
    > throught other programms which call the MyFunction()
    >
    > For .lib MyFunction() will have the mutilpile copy and will be
    > accessed throught the other
    > programs with each having the separate copy.
    >
    > Does From above Can I Conclude that the Process with the .lib will be
    > faster ?
    > (No doubt its consuming the lots of memory) ? (Separate copy for
    > Separate calls)
    >
    > Apart from this what are the diffrences between them ?
    >
    > So when ever I use and dll and lib then I include both .dll and .lib
    > in the settings ?
    > I am using VC6
    > Why both is needed to add in the program ? as both can do the same
    > thing as
    > waht i have stated above.
    >
    > Please do correct me if I am wrong?

    Tidy up your example so that it is correct, and compiles, then correct your
    spelling, remove redundant [weird] uppercasing etc, and then go and ask this
    in something like the right group - comp.os.ms-windows...

    --
    ==============
    Not a pedant
    pemo, May 18, 2006

  3. santosh Guest

    wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I have a querry regarding the .dll and .lib,

    This group deals with ISO C, which has no notion of .dll or .lib. These
    are Windows specific and you question would be better asked in a group
    like comp.os.ms-windows.* etc.
    santosh, May 18, 2006
  4. wrote:

    > I have a querry regarding the .dll and .lib,

    Prefacing a post with "OT" does not give you carte blanche to post as
    you please.

    > I am using VC6

    I'm sorry.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, May 19, 2006