OT document format

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jeff Thies, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    I tend to move files back and forth from Mac to Windows to *nix.

    My windows editor (NoteTab) is unable to recognize the Mac linefeeds and
    tends to make long lines of everything with little square boxes where
    the linefeeds were.

    So what format is best for exchanging documents between different OS's?

    DOS/Windows
    Mac
    UNIX
    EBCDIC
    Dos ASCII

    ???

    And just what is the difference between ASCII and ANSI?

    I'm unsure what the linefeed are, my catchalls seem to be:

    /\r\n|\n|\r/
    /\f/

    I think the \r\n is windows, \n is UNIX and the \f is Mac

    Is it better to use the numeric equivalents?

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Aug 2, 2004

  2. Jeff Thies

    bulge Guest

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 04:19:08 GMT, Jeff Thies
    <> wrote:

    > I tend to move files back and forth from Mac to Windows to *nix.
    >
    >My windows editor (NoteTab) is unable to recognize the Mac linefeeds and
    > tends to make long lines of everything with little square boxes where
    >the linefeeds were.

    That might explain a site I'm trying to rework now. I noticed square
    boxes too. (well, the w3c validator noticed them for me, I think). I
    think it must've been from a Mac.

    Don't know much about Macs so I can't help you there.

    bulge, Aug 3, 2004

  3. Jeff Thies

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Jeff Thies wrote:

    > So what format is best for exchanging documents between different OS's?
    >
    > Mac

    That'll do.

    > UNIX

    Even better.

    > EBCDIC

    Huh? You still imagine that *anyone* uses this monstrosity? Even within
    IBM, EBCDIC is only used as a torture method for the extremely naughty.
    They'll probably be forcing Darl McBride to write a program to convert
    between the six different incompatible versions of EBCDIC for his sins.

    > Dos ASCII
    > DOS/Windows

    The difference being?

    > And just what is the difference between ASCII and ANSI?

    ASCII is a character set of 128 characters that contains most of the
    characters commonly used in Western text. It forms a proper subset of most
    *modern* character sets such as ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8.

    ANSI is the American National Standards Institute, although in this
    context I believe you are referring to their standard for escape codes
    (which set colours on terminals and do other fancy stuff). It was
    overcomplicated so never used by any real terminals, but modified versions
    were adopted for setting colours and stuff on Amigas and DOS.

    I think you're getting three different concepts muddled up. Firstly
    character set -- use UTF-8 or ISO-8859-15, not ASCII. ASCII hugely limits
    which characters you'll be able to use. It has no £ nor € for instance.

    Secondly, use Windows line endings. Most Unix editors and many Mac editors
    should be able to both read and write Windows line endings. Certainly
    Nedit and Nano on Linux can.

    Thirdly, ignore ANSI -- it will only be important to you if you're doing
    text-mode DOS programming in fancy colours.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Aug 3, 2004
  4. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Jeff Thies wrote:
    >

    >> So what format is best for exchanging documents between different OS's?

    <snip>

    > I think you're getting three different concepts muddled up. Firstly
    > character set -- use UTF-8 or ISO-8859-15, not ASCII. ASCII hugely limits
    > which characters you'll be able to use. It has no £ nor € for instance.

    It looks to me that in the windows text editors I've used that the
    character set used is itself set by the OS, not by the text editing
    program. Does that sound right? What a mess, at least on the windows side.

    > Secondly, use Windows line endings. Most Unix editors and many Mac editors
    > should be able to both read and write Windows line endings. Certainly
    > Nedit and Nano on Linux can.

    That is what I've been experiencing. Windows (as is so often the case)
    handles other OS's poorly. The Mac hasn't complained, and of course, the
    linux web server has no problem with anything.

    > Thirdly, ignore ANSI -- it will only be important to you if you're doing
    > text-mode DOS programming in fancy colours.

    That will come as a blow to a client of mine who proudly proclaimed that
    she only used ANSI!

    Thanks. All this is so basic and internalized as to be obscured in every
    day use. The simplest problems cause me more grief than anything else!

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Aug 3, 2004
  5. Jeff Thies

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Jeff Thies wrote:

    > That is what I've been experiencing. Windows (as is so often the case)
    > handles other OS's poorly.

    WordPad handles Unix line breaks like a champ.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Aug 4, 2004