    the switch for years, and I still hope to some day), but it isn't a
    requirement.

    Any suggestions?
    Leif K-Brooks, Jul 7, 2005

  2. Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > My mother needs a new email client. I've had her using Mozilla Mail for
    > a while, but it doesn't seem to handle large quantities of email (she
    > has tens of thousands of messages spread over dozens of folders--not my
    > fault, she refuses to delete any of it) very well:
    >
    > - It loads an entire folder of email into memory when it's opened, and
    > doesn't release the memory when the folder is closed.
    > - When a compact operation is stopped in the middle (which happens often
    > for her since compacting takes so long with the amount of email she
    > has), it creates huge folders with names nstmp-###.
    > - If compacting isn't done regularly, it spends hours rebuilding summary
    > files. She can't use her email while it's doing that, either.
    >
    > Needless to say, I want the new email client to support large quantities
    > of email better than Mozilla does. Also, it should be
    > Windows-compatible, and easy enough for her to use it. Linux
    > compatibility would be nice (I've been trying to convince her to make
    > the switch for years, and I still hope to some day), but it isn't a
    > requirement.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Using Mozilla Mail I have thousands of email...I do move to subfolders
    for archive and easier searching but no problems. > 730 MB at present....

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 7, 2005

  3. Per Leif K-Brooks:
    >tens of thousands of messages spread over dozens of folders

    Dunno about tens of thousands, but my InBox currently has 3,520 messages in it
    with no apparent problems.

    alt.webmaster currently has 6,893 messages - no problem.

    I'm using Forte' Agent 2.0.

    The only negative I can think of is that it's possible to inadvertantly change
    the method of screen presentation with a single combination keystroke and it's
    not at all intuitive how to get it back to the way that's become near and dear.

    Other than that, I'm as happy as a clam with it.

    Seems like almost 10 years now....
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Jul 7, 2005
  4. [Per Leif K-Brooks:]

    [(PeteCresswell) wrote:]

    > Dunno about tens of thousands, but my InBox currently has 3,520 messages
    > in it with no apparent problems.
    >
    > alt.webmaster currently has 6,893 messages - no problem.
    >
    > I'm using Forte' Agent 2.0.
    >
    > The only negative I can think of is that it's possible to inadvertantly
    > change the method of screen presentation with a single combination
    > keystroke and it's not at all intuitive how to get it back to the way
    > that's become near and dear.
    >
    > Other than that, I'm as happy as a clam with it.
    >
    > Seems like almost 10 years now....

    KMail, which I used almost exclusively, had poor handling of folders too so
    I moved over to Thunderbird which handles large folders (totalling around
    10,000 messages) very well and opens them instantly. It generates .msf
    indices from .mbox archives only the first time (after installation and
    import) and from there onwards it's quick.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Jul 7, 2005
  5. Leif K-Brooks

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Leif K-Brooks
    <> writing in news:yo_ye.1939$S17.374539
    @monger.newsread.com:

    > My mother needs a new email client. I've had her using Mozilla Mail for
    > a while, but it doesn't seem to handle large quantities of email (she
    > has tens of thousands of messages spread over dozens of folders--not my
    > fault, she refuses to delete any of it) very well:
    >
    > - It loads an entire folder of email into memory when it's opened, and
    > doesn't release the memory when the folder is closed.
    > - When a compact operation is stopped in the middle (which happens often
    > for her since compacting takes so long with the amount of email she
    > has), it creates huge folders with names nstmp-###.
    > - If compacting isn't done regularly, it spends hours rebuilding summary
    > files. She can't use her email while it's doing that, either.
    >
    > Needless to say, I want the new email client to support large quantities
    > of email better than Mozilla does. Also, it should be
    > Windows-compatible, and easy enough for her to use it. Linux
    > compatibility would be nice (I've been trying to convince her to make
    > the switch for years, and I still hope to some day), but it isn't a
    > requirement.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I use a combination of Mailwasher and Pegasus.

    Mailwashers downloads the headers and first 20 lines of a message. It does
    not display HTML email. I clean the mail with Mailwasher first, then read
    it with Pegasus. I like Mainwasher because it already knows what certain
    spam is, and learns to recognize other spam. It will also bounce mail, but
    I don't use that feature. The pro version works on multiple servers, the
    free version only one. Mailwasher <http://www.mailwasher.net>

    I really like Pegasus because it, too, has its own spam filters, and has a
    neat feature for phone messages. It doesn't display HTML email very well,
    but that's fine because I don't like HTML email anyway. It takes a little
    while to get used to, but that's because it doesn't do thing as
    automatically the way other clients do, but I like that, too. Pegasus
    <http://www.pmail.com>

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne, Jul 7, 2005
  6. Leif K-Brooks

    jafar Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 05:15:33 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > I moved over to Thunderbird

    I use Thunderbird too. Great client! :)

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Producer - http://moonlife-records.com
    jafar, Jul 7, 2005
  7. jafar wrote:

    > On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 05:15:33 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> I moved over to Thunderbird

    > I use Thunderbird too. Great client! :)

    It frustrated me only a few times, I must add (under Linux and Windows), but
    not as often as I see people suffer from Outlook 2003 crashes.

    Thunderbird keeps my mail in an open format that allows me to 'dance' from
    one client to another shall I decide to do so. It also has very
    sophisticated filtering mechanism built-in (I don't receive spam on the
    accounts I access via POP3, but I use Thunderbird to productively channel
    and flag messages for me). It also offers features that other clients can
    only dream of at the moment, not to mention the huge number of extensions.

    Bugs are rare, but even when they occur, they never result in data (mail)
    loss. So having tried many clients, I strongly advise you to give
    Thunderbird a go.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz