OT: Forcing a link to open in specific browser?

Terry Pinnell

I'm not entirely sure if this is OT or not, but wonder if anyone here
can offer any thoughts please.

From my text editor, TextPad, I can open URLs like
http://goldwave.ca/forums/
directly, by r-clicking and choosing Open. I expect that's commonplace
with most text editors.

I can also open a link to my local HD like this
file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/terry02.gif
in its associated application (in that case, IrfanView).

Similarly, this one
file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/WEBGRA~1.HTM
opens in my Firefox browser.
(I could have avoided the 8.3 syntax by using this
file:///D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/Web%20Graphics%20on%20a%20Budget%20-%20Layers.htm
)

But here's my problem. *Some* of the web pages I've saved are
incompatible with Firefox but *do* work in MSIE6. (Various reasons,
but typically some sort of Java issue.)

So my question is: how can I can amend a link like
file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/WEBGRA~1.HTM
so that it's forced to open in IE6, instead of the program associated
with HTM (Firefox)? FWIW, my IE6 is at the usual location
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Any advice would be appreciated please.

JH

Terry Pinnell said:
I'm not entirely sure if this is OT or not, but wonder if anyone here
can offer any thoughts please.
But here's my problem. *Some* of the web pages I've saved are
incompatible with Firefox but *do* work in MSIE6. (Various reasons,
but typically some sort of Java issue.)

So my question is: how can I can amend a link like
file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/WEBGRA~1.HTM
so that it's forced to open in IE6, instead of the program associated
with HTM (Firefox)? FWIW, my IE6 is at the usual location
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

If you want only the problem pages to open in IE6 rename the extension to
html (instead of htm) and in tools - folder options associate the extension
html with Internet Explorer.

Travis Newbury

I'm not entirely sure if this is OT or not, but wonder if anyone here
can offer any thoughts please...

Get FF and the IE Tab extension. Then always open in FF. If you need
to see it rendered in IE you just click the IE Tab icon/button

On a side note, it would be nice if someone created an Opera Tab
extension.

Anyone?
Anyone?
Buller?

Jonathan N. Little

Terry said:
I'm not entirely sure if this is OT or not, but wonder if anyone here
can offer any thoughts please.

From my text editor, TextPad, I can open URLs like
http://goldwave.ca/forums/
directly, by r-clicking and choosing Open. I expect that's commonplace
with most text editors.

I can also open a link to my local HD like this
file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/terry02.gif
in its associated application (in that case, IrfanView).

Similarly, this one
file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/WEBGRA~1.HTM
opens in my Firefox browser.
(I could have avoided the 8.3 syntax by using this
file:///D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/Web%20Graphics%20on%20a%20Budget%20-%20Layers.htm
)

But here's my problem. *Some* of the web pages I've saved are
incompatible with Firefox but *do* work in MSIE6. (Various reasons,
but typically some sort of Java issue.)

I doubt it is a *Java* issue but maybe a *JavaScript* or *JScript* issue
where someone did one of those "MSIE Only Pages"
So my question is: how can I can amend a link like
file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/WEBGRA~1.HTM
so that it's forced to open in IE6, instead of the program associated
with HTM (Firefox)? FWIW, my IE6 is at the usual location
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Do you mean just for yourself of for everybody? If you mean the former
and it is just a shortcut on your local machine then just edit the
target of the shortcut and preface with the path to iexplore.exe

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/WEBGRA~1.HTM

Or your can make a simple batch file like:

rem withIE.cmd -----------------------------------
@echo off

set ARGS=%1
shift
rem single arg or pre-quoted? Just do it...
if '%1' == '' goto DOIT

:MULTIWORDS
rem build multi-word path
set ARGS=%ARGS% %1
shift
if not '%1' == '' goto MULTIWORDS
rem add quotes around multi-word path
set ARGS="%ARGS%"

:DOIT
rem start "%PROGRAMFILES%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" %ARGS%

:END
set ARGS=
rem -------------------------------------------------

put it on your desktop and drag/n drop html files on it or call with a
cmd line. Of your it could be adapted for other apps... Personally I
just right-click and use Open With... I have multiple browsers for
testing, NN4.6-7.1 MSIE4-7, Opera7.4-9.2 FF2.0.0.7 and my default
SeaMonkey 1.1.4

If you mean the latter, for everyone else then you cannot. IF you tryed
what would happen if I click the link on my Ubuntu box?

Terry Pinnell

JH said:
If you want only the problem pages to open in IE6 rename the extension to
html (instead of htm) and in tools - folder options associate the extension
html with Internet Explorer.
Thanks, neat idea!

Terry Pinnell

Jonathan N. Little said:
[...]

Thanks, appreciate that thorough response. I'll experiment along those
lines.

Some background...

I'm only using such links myself, i.e. locally on my PC. I've found
them useful in 'Help notes' in certain situations. For example,
suppose I'm using PaintShop Pro and want to make a fancy text page
(for a family DVD). I r-click in PSP's title bar and a menu pops up
(courtesy of a macro I wrote with another program). I select
'Help-Text Shadows' and get a text file displayed by my text editor.
It steps me through using PSP to add shadow.

Now, getting to the point, I quickly found it helpful to include in
that file local links to images, especially examples of the text
effect I'm pursuing. But more recently I've also started to add local
links to HTML files I've downloaded. A typical example would be a
detailed tutorial. One of these sites, rich in such tutorials, is due
to close down shortly, I've been told. So it makes better sense to use
local files rather than simply add URLs to my text file.

However, the particular site,
http://www.psplinks.com/content/Text_Effects.html and some of its
various links is also proving problematic in the way I described.

This morning I've established that it does indeed appear to be a Java
problem. Having tried once again to reach
http://www.psptips.com/4/readers/2dtxtur01.html
with the same results as before, I turned off Java in FF Options and I
could then access it OK.

Jonathan N. Little

Terry said:
Thanks, appreciate that thorough response. I'll experiment along those
lines.

BTW I sell had the actual command line in the batchfile disabled form my
quick test it should be

:DOIT
"%PROGRAMFILES%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" %ARGS%
This morning I've established that it does indeed appear to be a Java
problem. Having tried once again to reach
http://www.psptips.com/4/readers/2dtxtur01.html
with the same results as before, I turned off Java in FF Options and I
could then access it OK.

Yep it is a Java Applet. I have Java off by default in my SeaMonkey. but
with on the page loads the same in SeaMonkey as MSIE7 only difference is
SeaMonkey as the white box with the plug-in icon and MSIE7 has a grey
box for the missing plug. Disable Java and I don't get the plugin box on
the right...Don't know what the plugin is, didn't seem to need it to
view the steps on how to make "2-D Textured Text" so I am not sure what
the problem with using FF is. You could install the Java applet if you
wish.