OT: Forcing a link to open in specific browser?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Terry Pinnell, Sep 26, 2007.

  1. I'm not entirely sure if this is OT or not, but wonder if anyone here
    can offer any thoughts please.

    From my text editor, TextPad, I can open URLs like
    http://goldwave.ca/forums/
    directly, by r-clicking and choosing Open. I expect that's commonplace
    with most text editors.

    I can also open a link to my local HD like this
    file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/terry02.gif
    in its associated application (in that case, IrfanView).

    Similarly, this one
    file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/WEBGRA~1.HTM
    opens in my Firefox browser.
    (I could have avoided the 8.3 syntax by using this
    file:///D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/Web%20Graphics%20on%20a%20Budget%20-%20Layers.htm
    )

    But here's my problem. *Some* of the web pages I've saved are
    incompatible with Firefox but *do* work in MSIE6. (Various reasons,
    but typically some sort of Java issue.)

    So my question is: how can I can amend a link like
    file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/WEBGRA~1.HTM
    so that it's forced to open in IE6, instead of the program associated
    with HTM (Firefox)? FWIW, my IE6 is at the usual location
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

    Any advice would be appreciated please.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Sep 26, 2007

  2. Terry Pinnell

    JH Guest

    Re: Forcing a link to open in specific browser?

    "Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not entirely sure if this is OT or not, but wonder if anyone here
    > can offer any thoughts please.
    >

    > But here's my problem. *Some* of the web pages I've saved are
    > incompatible with Firefox but *do* work in MSIE6. (Various reasons,
    > but typically some sort of Java issue.)
    >
    > So my question is: how can I can amend a link like
    > file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/WEBGRA~1.HTM
    > so that it's forced to open in IE6, instead of the program associated
    > with HTM (Firefox)? FWIW, my IE6 is at the usual location
    > C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

    If you want only the problem pages to open in IE6 rename the extension to
    html (instead of htm) and in tools - folder options associate the extension
    html with Internet Explorer.
    JH, Sep 26, 2007

  3. On Sep 26, 4:58 am, Terry Pinnell <>
    wrote:
    > I'm not entirely sure if this is OT or not, but wonder if anyone here
    > can offer any thoughts please...

    Get FF and the IE Tab extension. Then always open in FF. If you need
    to see it rendered in IE you just click the IE Tab icon/button

    On a side note, it would be nice if someone created an Opera Tab
    extension.

    Anyone?
    Anyone?
    Buller?
    Travis Newbury, Sep 26, 2007
  4. Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > I'm not entirely sure if this is OT or not, but wonder if anyone here
    > can offer any thoughts please.
    >
    > From my text editor, TextPad, I can open URLs like
    > http://goldwave.ca/forums/
    > directly, by r-clicking and choosing Open. I expect that's commonplace
    > with most text editors.
    >
    > I can also open a link to my local HD like this
    > file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/terry02.gif
    > in its associated application (in that case, IrfanView).
    >
    > Similarly, this one
    > file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/WEBGRA~1.HTM
    > opens in my Firefox browser.
    > (I could have avoided the 8.3 syntax by using this
    > file:///D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/Web%20Graphics%20on%20a%20Budget%20-%20Layers.htm
    > )
    >
    > But here's my problem. *Some* of the web pages I've saved are
    > incompatible with Firefox but *do* work in MSIE6. (Various reasons,
    > but typically some sort of Java issue.)

    I doubt it is a *Java* issue but maybe a *JavaScript* or *JScript* issue
    where someone did one of those "MSIE Only Pages"

    > So my question is: how can I can amend a link like
    > file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/WEBGRA~1.HTM
    > so that it's forced to open in IE6, instead of the program associated
    > with HTM (Firefox)? FWIW, my IE6 is at the usual location
    > C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

    Do you mean just for yourself of for everybody? If you mean the former
    and it is just a shortcut on your local machine then just edit the
    target of the shortcut and preface with the path to iexplore.exe

    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
    file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/WEBGRA~1.HTM

    Or your can make a simple batch file like:

    rem withIE.cmd -----------------------------------
    @echo off

    set ARGS=%1
    shift
    rem single arg or pre-quoted? Just do it...
    if '%1' == '' goto DOIT

    :MULTIWORDS
    rem build multi-word path
    set ARGS=%ARGS% %1
    shift
    if not '%1' == '' goto MULTIWORDS
    rem add quotes around multi-word path
    set ARGS="%ARGS%"

    :DOIT
    rem start "%PROGRAMFILES%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" %ARGS%

    :END
    set ARGS=
    rem -------------------------------------------------

    put it on your desktop and drag/n drop html files on it or call with a
    cmd line. Of your it could be adapted for other apps... Personally I
    just right-click and use Open With... I have multiple browsers for
    testing, NN4.6-7.1 MSIE4-7, Opera7.4-9.2 FF2.0.0.7 and my default
    SeaMonkey 1.1.4

    If you mean the latter, for everyone else then you cannot. IF you tryed
    what would happen if I click the link on my Ubuntu box?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 26, 2007
  5. Re: Forcing a link to open in specific browser?

    "JH" <> wrote:

    >"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm not entirely sure if this is OT or not, but wonder if anyone here
    >> can offer any thoughts please.
    >>

    >> But here's my problem. *Some* of the web pages I've saved are
    >> incompatible with Firefox but *do* work in MSIE6. (Various reasons,
    >> but typically some sort of Java issue.)
    >>
    >> So my question is: how can I can amend a link like
    >> file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/WEBGRA~1.HTM
    >> so that it's forced to open in IE6, instead of the program associated
    >> with HTM (Firefox)? FWIW, my IE6 is at the usual location
    >> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

    >If you want only the problem pages to open in IE6 rename the extension to
    >html (instead of htm) and in tools - folder options associate the extension
    >html with Internet Explorer.

    Thanks, neat idea!

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Sep 27, 2007
  6. "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> I'm not entirely sure if this is OT or not, but wonder if anyone here
    >> can offer any thoughts please.
    >>
    >> From my text editor, TextPad, I can open URLs like
    >> http://goldwave.ca/forums/
    >> directly, by r-clicking and choosing Open. I expect that's commonplace
    >> with most text editors.
    >>
    >> I can also open a link to my local HD like this
    >> file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/terry02.gif
    >> in its associated application (in that case, IrfanView).
    >>
    >> Similarly, this one
    >> file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/WEBGRA~1.HTM
    >> opens in my Firefox browser.
    >> (I could have avoided the 8.3 syntax by using this
    >> file:///D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/Web%20Graphics%20on%20a%20Budget%20-%20Layers.htm
    >> )
    >>
    >> But here's my problem. *Some* of the web pages I've saved are
    >> incompatible with Firefox but *do* work in MSIE6. (Various reasons,
    >> but typically some sort of Java issue.)

    >I doubt it is a *Java* issue but maybe a *JavaScript* or *JScript* issue
    >where someone did one of those "MSIE Only Pages"
    >

    >> So my question is: how can I can amend a link like
    >> file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/WEBGRA~1.HTM
    >> so that it's forced to open in IE6, instead of the program associated
    >> with HTM (Firefox)? FWIW, my IE6 is at the usual location
    >> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    >>

    >Do you mean just for yourself of for everybody? If you mean the former
    >and it is just a shortcut on your local machine then just edit the
    >target of the shortcut and preface with the path to iexplore.exe
    >
    >"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
    >file://D:/Docs/SUNDRY/Graphics/WEBGRA~1.HTM
    >
    >Or your can make a simple batch file like:
    >
    >rem withIE.cmd -----------------------------------
    >@echo off
    >
    >set ARGS=%1
    >shift
    >rem single arg or pre-quoted? Just do it...
    >if '%1' == '' goto DOIT
    >
    >:MULTIWORDS
    >rem build multi-word path
    >set ARGS=%ARGS% %1
    >shift
    >if not '%1' == '' goto MULTIWORDS
    >rem add quotes around multi-word path
    >set ARGS="%ARGS%"
    >
    >:DOIT
    >rem start "%PROGRAMFILES%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" %ARGS%
    >
    >:END
    >set ARGS=
    >rem -------------------------------------------------
    >
    >put it on your desktop and drag/n drop html files on it or call with a
    >cmd line. Of your it could be adapted for other apps... Personally I
    >just right-click and use Open With... I have multiple browsers for
    >testing, NN4.6-7.1 MSIE4-7, Opera7.4-9.2 FF2.0.0.7 and my default
    >SeaMonkey 1.1.4
    >
    >If you mean the latter, for everyone else then you cannot. IF you tryed
    >what would happen if I click the link on my Ubuntu box?

    Thanks, appreciate that thorough response. I'll experiment along those
    lines.

    Some background...

    I'm only using such links myself, i.e. locally on my PC. I've found
    them useful in 'Help notes' in certain situations. For example,
    suppose I'm using PaintShop Pro and want to make a fancy text page
    (for a family DVD). I r-click in PSP's title bar and a menu pops up
    (courtesy of a macro I wrote with another program). I select
    'Help-Text Shadows' and get a text file displayed by my text editor.
    It steps me through using PSP to add shadow.

    Now, getting to the point, I quickly found it helpful to include in
    that file local links to images, especially examples of the text
    effect I'm pursuing. But more recently I've also started to add local
    links to HTML files I've downloaded. A typical example would be a
    detailed tutorial. One of these sites, rich in such tutorials, is due
    to close down shortly, I've been told. So it makes better sense to use
    local files rather than simply add URLs to my text file.

    However, the particular site,
    http://www.psplinks.com/content/Text_Effects.html and some of its
    various links is also proving problematic in the way I described.

    This morning I've established that it does indeed appear to be a Java
    problem. Having tried once again to reach
    http://www.psptips.com/4/readers/2dtxtur01.html
    with the same results as before, I turned off Java in FF Options and I
    could then access it OK.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Sep 27, 2007
  7. Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > Thanks, appreciate that thorough response. I'll experiment along those
    > lines.

    BTW I sell had the actual command line in the batchfile disabled form my
    quick test it should be

    :DOIT
    "%PROGRAMFILES%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" %ARGS%

    > This morning I've established that it does indeed appear to be a Java
    > problem. Having tried once again to reach
    > http://www.psptips.com/4/readers/2dtxtur01.html
    > with the same results as before, I turned off Java in FF Options and I
    > could then access it OK.

    Yep it is a Java Applet. I have Java off by default in my SeaMonkey. but
    with on the page loads the same in SeaMonkey as MSIE7 only difference is
    SeaMonkey as the white box with the plug-in icon and MSIE7 has a grey
    box for the missing plug. Disable Java and I don't get the plugin box on
    the right...Don't know what the plugin is, didn't seem to need it to
    view the steps on how to make "2-D Textured Text" so I am not sure what
    the problem with using FF is. You could install the Java applet if you
    wish.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan