    but the redirects get stuck in a perpetual loop.

    Thanks for any advice,

    Dave

    David Shorthouse, Jan 30, 2005

  2. Re: framesets, redirects, and URL address

    David Shorthouse wrote:
    > I have my entire ASP-driven site in a one-frame frameset to
    > preserve a static URL in a browser's address bar. I also have a
    > customized 404 page to redirect a visitor to the top, default
    > frameset. The redirect works, but the called, nonexistent URL remains
    > in the browser's address bar. Is there any way to refresh a browser's
    > address in the address bar to that of the site's default, frameset
    > address?

    Why does it matter?

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Jan 31, 2005

  3. Re: framesets, redirects, and URL address

    > David Shorthouse wrote:
    >> I have my entire ASP-driven site in a one-frame frameset to
    >> preserve a static URL in a browser's address bar. I also have a
    >> customized 404 page to redirect a visitor to the top, default
    >> frameset. The redirect works, but the called, nonexistent URL remains
    >> in the browser's address bar. Is there any way to refresh a browser's
    >> address in the address bar to that of the site's default, frameset
    >> address?

    > Why does it matter?

    Well, because if someone were to have visited the site via a non-existent
    URL, been given my customized 404 page with a redirect to the default site,
    the address in their address bar would still read that of the non-existent
    URL.

    Dave

    David Shorthouse, Jan 31, 2005
  4. Re: framesets, redirects, and URL address

    David Shorthouse wrote:
    >> Why does it matter?

    > Well, because if someone were to have visited the site via a
    > non-existent URL, been given my customized 404 page with a redirect
    > to the default site, the address in their address bar would still
    > read that of the non-existent URL.

    Again, why does that matter? Who CARES what is in the address bar?

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Jan 31, 2005
  5. Re: framesets, redirects, and URL address

    >>> Why does it matter?
    >>
    >> Well, because if someone were to have visited the site via a
    >> non-existent URL, been given my customized 404 page with a redirect
    >> to the default site, the address in their address bar would still
    >> read that of the non-existent URL.

    > Again, why does that matter? Who CARES what is in the address bar?

    Humpff....okay. If someone were to then bookmark the address, they'll be
    bookmarking the dead URL instead of the correct, default address. On every
    return to the site from their bookmark, they'll always first see the 404
    page then be redirected. All I want to do is avoid this and ensure that
    visitors (if they choose to bookmark after having typed a nonexistent URL in
    the address bar) have the correct URL in their bookmark listing.

    Dave

    David Shorthouse, Jan 31, 2005
  6. Re: framesets, redirects, and URL address

    > That's one of the problems with using frames, and why most developers stay
    > away from them. Google for Frames Are Evil.

    True, but I make use of www.dyndns.org because I haven't got a static IP on
    which I am hosting my site. DynDNS has an option to mask an URL by using
    framesets and, should I ever get my own Domain, it would be a snap just to
    change the daughter address. In the meantime, I'm just wondering if it is
    possible to do what I am asking. I do have an include file on my pages that
    pop a visitor back into the frame should they ever visit the daughter pages
    after having done a Google search, so that aspect of things is (relatively)
    taken care of.

    Dave

    David Shorthouse, Jan 31, 2005
  7. David Shorthouse

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "David Shorthouse"
    <> writing in

    > Hey folks,
    >
    > I have my entire ASP-driven site in a one-frame frameset to
    > preserve a
    > static URL in a browser's address bar. I also have a customized 404
    > page to redirect a visitor to the top, default frameset. The redirect
    > works, but the called, nonexistent URL remains in the browser's address
    > bar. Is there any way to refresh a browser's address in the address bar
    > to that of the site's default, frameset address? I tried using a
    > window.location-type javascript, but the redirects get stuck in a
    > perpetual loop.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice,
    >
    > Dave

    First, as you are I am sure aware, this is not a client side group.

    Second, why are you using frames in the first place? Frames have many
    problems, bookmarking, orphan pages in search engines (especially if
    javascript is unavailable on the client), search engines, etc.

    If you are trying to preserve the static URL in the user's address bar, is
    this to keep the person from seeing querystrings and the like? Trust me,
    those who want to get to the real page can, easily. View source will give
    them the real URL, they can turn off javascript and happily surf around
    with all the information you want to hide.

    Use other methods, post, session variables, or use check sum or MD5 to
    check for invalid values.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, Feb 1, 2005
  8. Adrienne,

    I'm well aware of the downsides to framesets. See my earlier post for my
    reasons. This is also why I have OT in the subject of my original
    post....this is a pretty active group, I have received some good advice for
    other matters, so I thought someone would be kind enough to point me in the
    right direction.

    David Shorthouse, Feb 1, 2005
  9. David Shorthouse

    Evertjan. Guest

    David Shorthouse wrote on 01 feb 2005 in
    > I'm well aware of the downsides to framesets. See my earlier post for
    > my reasons. This is also why I have OT in the subject of my original
    > post....

    Off topic is NOT done for new questions that are outside the scope of a NG,
    especially since there are many NGs in which such questions are on topic.

    > this is a pretty active group, I have received some good
    > advice for other matters, so I thought someone would be kind enough to
    > point me in the right direction.

    Please be kind enough not to disrupt the topicity of such NG and thereby
    degrade it's usefullness and so it's praised [by you] activeness.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Feb 1, 2005
  10. Re: framesets, redirects, and URL address

    David Shorthouse wrote:
    > Humpff....okay. If someone were to then bookmark the address, they'll
    > be bookmarking the dead URL instead of the correct, default address.
    > On every return to the site from their bookmark, they'll always first
    > see the 404 page then be redirected.

    Now we're getting somewhere. If that's your desire, then *TELL* the user he
    has followed a dead link, provide a new link, and DO NOT redirect him.

    > All I want to do is avoid this and ensure that visitors (if they
    > choose to bookmark after having typed a nonexistent URL in the
    > address bar) have the correct URL in their bookmark listing.

    In the above scenario, the user has *already* navigated to your site via a
    dead link. Failing to tell him so will ensure he does it again.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Feb 1, 2005