OT: free usenet server that works well with comp.lang.javascript?

Peter Michaux

Hi,

I'd like to give using a local news reader (Thunderbird) a try rather
than google groups web interface. Can anyone make a recommendation for
a free usenet sever that works well with comp.lang.javascript?

Thanks,
Peter

RobG

Hi,

I'd like to give using a local news reader (Thunderbird) a try rather
than google groups web interface. Can anyone make a recommendation for
a free usenet sever that works well with comp.lang.javascript?

Pick one of these:

I've used Freenews.netfront.net, but could only get it to work with
Outlook Express and so have stuck with GG. If you get it to work with
Thunderbird, let me know.

I started using GG a couple of years ago when I moved to a site that
didn't support UseNet, now I've come to prefer it. My biggest gripe
is that it forces me to use a google e-mail address as my primary
address when posting, but that is not all bad.:)

Spam is getting to be a real problem, but UseNet is not much better.
You can use Firefox, Greasemonkey and Google Groups Killfile:

But I suspect if spam gets too bad Google will have to do more about
it - unless they are trying to get everyone onto a moderated group.

Bart Van der Donck

RobG said:

It is likely that not all of these servers do what they promise; the
quality will probably vary, be unstable, or they might just stop at a
certain moment.

Personally I've had good experiences with news.sunsite.dk, a free
server of the Aalborg University in Danmark for text groups (text-only
is a great advantage already IMHO for performance reasons).

The javascript FAQ uses this server since 2 years now.

Peter Michaux

Bart Van der Donck wrote:

[snip]
Personally I've had good experiences with news.sunsite.dk, a free
server of the Aalborg University in Danmark for text groups (text-only
is a great advantage already IMHO for performance reasons).

I'm posting through this server now. Thanks for the recommendation.
The javascript FAQ uses this server since 2 years now.

Which JavaScript FAQ? The jibbering.com ip seems to be coming from the UK.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <80c64c5e-29d3-4d06-aa56-537658db709b@f3
6g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, Sat, 2 Aug 2008 00:04:36, Bart Van der
Donck said:
The javascript FAQ uses this server since 2 years now.

Section 5 of the FAQ needs to be corrected.

Peter Michaux

RobG said:
Pick one of these:

I've used Freenews.netfront.net, but could only get it to work with
Outlook Express and so have stuck with GG. If you get it to work with
Thunderbird, let me know.

I could read the newsgroup with Thunderbird but not post. I think
freenews.netfront.net may be read only for everyone. I found one page of
newservers that listed it with the attribute "posting: no".
I started using GG a couple of years ago when I moved to a site that
didn't support UseNet, now I've come to prefer it. My biggest gripe
is that it forces me to use a google e-mail address as my primary
address when posting, but that is not all bad.:)

I use Gmail and have used Google groups happily for a couple years now.
They may not be perfect but they have almost no learning curve.

I'm planning on working offline with my laptop soon with a portable
wireless cell connection. Gmail has imap access so the majority of my
internet use can be during relatively short connections.

This news server Bart suggested seems to be working and the posts appear
on the Google groups interface in about five minutes.

[snip]

Bart Van der Donck

Peter said:
I'm posting through this server now. Thanks for the recommendation.

Which JavaScript FAQ? The jibbering.com ip seems to be coming from the UK.

Sorry, I meant the sendout of the FAQ-posts to Usenet
(news.sunsite.dk). The location of jibbering.com stands apart from
that.

Bart Van der Donck

Dr said:
Section 5 of the FAQ needs to be corrected.

The FAQ maintainance stands apart from the daily posts to Usenet - it
only uses the XML file. From sheer technical point of view, it makes
no difference when/how/whether the FAQ is maintained. Maybe it could
be a good idea to open a thread about future maintainance.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <c97fa1ed-8ec5-4971-a69b-2cccddb752cd@k3
0g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, Sun, 3 Aug 2008 00:29:33, Bart Van der
Donck said:
The FAQ maintainance stands apart from the daily posts to Usenet - it
only uses the XML file. From sheer technical point of view, it makes
no difference when/how/whether the FAQ is maintained. Maybe it could
be a good idea to open a thread about future maintainance.

The appointed FAQ maintainer has disappeared. Without prejudice to the
question of general future maintenance, the text that you post to the
newsgroup - the tail of the full FAQ, and the signatures of the daily
sections - should be correct.

ISTM that you could probably take one copy of the full FAQ onto your
system, remove the faulty information from Section 5, and use that copy
to feed your valued posting system.

That's independent of the question of general future FAQ maintenance,
for which a reliable volunteer is needed.

Bart Van der Donck

Dr said:
The appointed FAQ maintainer has disappeared.  Without prejudice to the
question of general future maintenance, the text that you post to the
newsgroup - the tail of the full FAQ, and the signatures of the daily
sections - should be correct.

ISTM that you could probably take one copy of the full FAQ onto your
system, remove the faulty information from Section 5, and use that copy
to feed your valued posting system.

I think section 5 holds two useful questions; only the answer of 5.2.
needs to be updated.

I believe it would be better to stimulate a new FAQ maintainer than to
leave out the points that might be outdated (which would be many more
than those two 2 entries IMHO).

Is anyone interested to take over the FAQ maintainance, with some
urgency ? Jim is willing to grant access to any serious candidate.