OT: G++, static linkage with std::

Discussion in 'C++' started by JKop, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. JKop

    JKop Guest

    I post here because the G++ newsgroup is dead.

    Plus there's plenty of people in here with all sorts of
    computer knowledge...

    Anyway,

    I compiled a Win32 program today. Out of curiosity, I ran
    DependencyWalker on it. I see that it links dynamically
    with MSVCRT.DLL.

    Firstly, what compiler switches are there for specifying
    static or dynamic linkage with the Standard libraries?

    Secondly, which would you recommend? If "msvcrt.dll" comes
    packaged with Windows, then it's the obvious preferable
    choice - smaller executable, only one "copy" of the library
    in memory at the one time. But if it's *not* packaged with
    Windows, then it looks like dynamic linkage would be the
    better choice!

    -JKop
    JKop, Sep 21, 2004

  2. JKop wrote:
    > I post here because the G++ newsgroup is dead.
    >
    > Plus there's plenty of people in here with all sorts of
    > computer knowledge...
    >
    > Anyway,
    >
    > I compiled a Win32 program today. Out of curiosity, I ran
    > DependencyWalker on it. I see that it links dynamically
    > with MSVCRT.DLL.
    >
    > Firstly, what compiler switches are there for specifying
    > static or dynamic linkage with the Standard libraries?
    >
    > Secondly, which would you recommend? If "msvcrt.dll" comes
    > packaged with Windows, then it's the obvious preferable
    > choice - smaller executable, only one "copy" of the library
    > in memory at the one time. But if it's *not* packaged with
    > Windows, then it looks like dynamic linkage would be the
    > better choice!

    Off topic. Generally speaking here is the GCC manual:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/

    Also for Windows programming you can use MINGW mailing lists:

    http://www.mingw.org

    And since we are here, I suggest you download the latest updates that
    you are interested in:

    http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml#hdr2

    (from the "Current" section.

    E.g. you may download the bin parts of the GCC subsection and bring your
    GCC to 3.3.1

    Basically check the dates vs the date of the "MINGW" main distribution
    to find the new ones.

    --
    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys
    Ioannis Vranos, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Ioannis Vranos wrote:

    > http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml#hdr2
    >
    > (from the "Current" section.
    >
    > E.g. you may download the bin parts of the GCC subsection and bring your
    > GCC to 3.3.1
    >

    > Basically check the dates vs the date of the "MINGW" main distribution
    > to find the new ones.

    Basically the date approach is not good, since they reposted the package
    in September bug fixed. Check anything from 1 August 2003 and later.

    Ioannis Vranos, Sep 21, 2004