    research.

    Thanks. Realize it's OT but it's getting to be a really necessary
    app.

    fitwell, Nov 14, 2003

  2. fitwell wrote:

    > I've been searching for a long time today but can't find anything
    > good.
    >
    > It would hopefully be on the small side, i.e., no bloatware and
    > supports batch conversion via drag-'n-drop or by loading a bunch of
    > files via a file open dialogue box (in other words, not a directory
    > tree where one has to click all the way to the target folder). Also,
    > no fancy little flashy thing gets saved in the html end result saying
    > "converted to html by such-and-such a program". I tried one like that
    > today and it is extremely annoying to have that amongst all one's
    > research.

    Why do you want to do that? All a good converter would do is put
    everything in a <pre> element and convert everything to entities, why
    not just make it a .txt file and be done?

    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 14, 2003

  3. fitwell

    fitwell Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:39:07 GMT, Leif K-Brooks
    <> wrote:

    >fitwell wrote:
    >
    >> I've been searching for a long time today but can't find anything
    >> good.
    >>
    >> It would hopefully be on the small side, i.e., no bloatware and
    >> supports batch conversion via drag-'n-drop or by loading a bunch of
    >> files via a file open dialogue box (in other words, not a directory
    >> tree where one has to click all the way to the target folder). Also,
    >> no fancy little flashy thing gets saved in the html end result saying
    >> "converted to html by such-and-such a program". I tried one like that
    >> today and it is extremely annoying to have that amongst all one's
    >> research.

    >Why do you want to do that? All a good converter would do is put
    >everything in a <pre> element and convert everything to entities, why
    >not just make it a .txt file and be done?

    Why do people answer a question with a question, is what I'd like to
    know.

    Pls, does anyone know of a good batch text to html converter? I need
    one but it must support batch conversion.

    Thank you.

    fitwell, Nov 14, 2003
  4. fitwell wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:39:07 GMT, Leif K-Brooks
    > Why do people answer a question with a question, is what I'd like to
    > know.

    It may be because some poeple dont know that you can do things like that
    (make a simple txt file), and they are just trying to help answere the
    problem, rather than the question.

    Maybe as "Thanks anyway" would have sufficed, YUMP.

    Disco Octopus, Nov 14, 2003
  5. Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > Why do you want to do that? All a good converter would do is put
    > everything in a <pre> element and convert everything to entities, why
    > not just make it a .txt file and be done?

    I would assume that the OP wants a converter that will *not* use <pre> and
    hence allow word-wrapping, judging from his previous thread.

    If he has access to Unix box (as any good research scientist should!) then
    he should be able to use a Perl script like this:

    #!/usr/bin/perl

    # Written by Toby A Inkster, November 2003.
    # and hereby placed in the public domain.
    # (c) nobody.

    @in = <>;
    $in = join('',@in);
    @paragraphs = split(/\r?\n\r?\n/, $in);
    print <<EOHTML;
    <head>
    <title>Untitled</title>
    </head>
    <h1>Untitled</h1>
    EOHTML
    foreach $p (@paragraphs) {
    $p =~ s#\&#\&amp;#;
    $p =~ s#<&#\&lt;#;
    $p =~ s#>&#\&gt;#;
    print " <p>$p</p>\n\n";
    }
    print <<EOHTML;
    EOHTML

    (not actually tested, but looks like it should work.)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Nov 14, 2003
  6. fitwell

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed fitwell <>
    writing in news::

    > On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:39:07 GMT, Leif K-Brooks
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>fitwell wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been searching for a long time today but can't find anything
    >>> good.
    >>>
    >>> It would hopefully be on the small side, i.e., no bloatware and
    >>> supports batch conversion via drag-'n-drop or by loading a bunch of
    >>> files via a file open dialogue box (in other words, not a directory
    >>> tree where one has to click all the way to the target folder). Also,
    >>> no fancy little flashy thing gets saved in the html end result saying
    >>> "converted to html by such-and-such a program". I tried one like that
    >>> today and it is extremely annoying to have that amongst all one's
    >>> research.

    >>Why do you want to do that? All a good converter would do is put
    >>everything in a <pre> element and convert everything to entities, why
    >>not just make it a .txt file and be done?

    > Why do people answer a question with a question, is what I'd like to
    > know.
    >
    > Pls, does anyone know of a good batch text to html converter? I need
    > one but it must support batch conversion.
    >
    > Thank you.

    I don't know if this will help, but http://www.jafsoft.com/asctohtm/
    ASCtoHTM might be something to look into. I've used another of the
    author's programs to convert some csv files into tables. The output was
    very clean.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Nov 14, 2003
  7. fitwell

    fitwell Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:16:38 GMT, Adrienne <>
    wrote:

    >> Pls, does anyone know of a good batch text to html converter? I need
    >> one but it must support batch conversion.
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>

    >I don't know if this will help, but http://www.jafsoft.com/asctohtm/
    >ASCtoHTM might be something to look into. I've used another of the
    >author's programs to convert some csv files into tables. The output was
    >very clean.

    Yes, tried it. It was one of the ones that didn't fit the bill. I
    ended up with an app that works okay but it has its limitations.
    Though I wrote a bat to get around most of them and set the EXE to
    read-only so I don't accidentally delete (it saves the generated html
    to the app's root fldr, which is dumb). But it does the job okay now
    that I launch with the bat, instead.

    Thanks, all! 221 text files to index to html with a great freeware
    indexer I found (DIR2HTML) but MSIE doesn't word wrap, so decided to
    batch-convert to html! In seconds that one folder was done. Now to
    go on to the other research projects. I capture data via IE Text
    Archiver which saves to txt format so this whole thing now
    orchestrates nicely.

    Cheers!

    fitwell, Nov 14, 2003
  8. fitwell

    fitwell Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:09:36 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    >
    >> Why do you want to do that? All a good converter would do is put
    >> everything in a <pre> element and convert everything to entities, why
    >> not just make it a .txt file and be done?

    >I would assume that the OP wants a converter that will *not* use <pre> and
    >hence allow word-wrapping, judging from his previous thread.
    >
    >If he has access to Unix box (as any good research scientist should!) then
    >he should be able to use a Perl script like this:

    >#!/usr/bin/perl
    >
    ># Written by Toby A Inkster, November 2003.
    ># and hereby placed in the public domain.
    ># (c) nobody.
    >
    >@in = <>;
    >$in = join('',@in);
    >@paragraphs = split(/\r?\n\r?\n/, $in);
    >print <<EOHTML;
    ><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    > <head>
    > <title>Untitled</title>
    > </head>
    > <h1>Untitled</h1>
    >EOHTML
    >foreach $p (@paragraphs) {
    > $p =~ s#\&#\&amp;#;
    > $p =~ s#<&#\&lt;#;
    > $p =~ s#>&#\&gt;#;
    > print " <p>$p</p>\n\n";
    >}
    >print <<EOHTML;
    >EOHTML
    >
    >(not actually tested, but looks like it should work.)

    Yes, came across a lot of Perl script. When I say "research", it is
    personal research. I am not a scientist. I don't know programming so
    this was not an option. However, did find a freeware that does the
    job after I wrote a rudimentary bat and set the attributes for the
    app's EXE to read-only.

    Thanks everyone for the program names! Appreciate it.

    fitwell, Nov 14, 2003
  9. fitwell

    Wipkip Guest

    Robert Frost-Bridges wrote:
    > Toby A Inkster wrote:

    Code:
    [color=green]

    >> (not actually tested, but looks like it should work.)[/color]
    >
    > Which is how the windows os was written I believe :-)[/color]

    Damn, I wish that wasn't true. :(

    --
    Duende

    Wipkip, Nov 16, 2003