[OT] Google Groups posters, please read

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Paul Lalli, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli Guest

    I'm taking this directly from Google Groups's own FAQ pages
    (http://groups-beta.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=12348&topic=
    108):

    ===================

    What's good 'netiquette' when posting to Usenet?

    Summarize what you're following up.

    When you click 'Reply' under 'show options' to follow up an existing
    article, Google Groups includes the full article in quotes, with the
    cursor at the top of the article. Tempting though it is to just start
    typing your message, please STOP and do two things first. Look at the
    quoted text and remove parts that are irrelevant. Then, go to the BOTTOM
    of the article and start typing there. Doing this makes it much easier
    for your readers to get through your post. They'll have a reminder of
    the relevant text before your comment, but won't have to re-read the
    entire article. And if your reply appears on a site before the original
    article does, they'll get the gist of what you're talking about.

    ===================

    Recently, this newsgroup has seen a deluge of Google Groups posters who
    apparently don't read or ignore Google Groups's own advice. I would
    encourage all Usenet regulars who become annoyed at this tendency to
    refer the offenders to this policy.

    Thank you for your time,
    Paul Lalli
    Paul Lalli, Feb 2, 2005

  2. Also sprach Paul Lalli:

    > Recently, this newsgroup has seen a deluge of Google Groups posters who
    > apparently don't read or ignore Google Groups's own advice. I would
    > encourage all Usenet regulars who become annoyed at this tendency to
    > refer the offenders to this policy.

    Or even simpler:

    [*]
    Score: =-9999
    %Expires:
    %EOS

    Postings made via google will end up in malformatted code snippets
    anyway, so I don't see any reason why I should not killfile them,
    regardless of netiquette.

    Tassilo
    --
    use bigint;
    Tassilo v. Parseval, Feb 2, 2005

  3. Tim Hammerquist <> wrote:
    > Paul Lalli <> wrote:
    >> Recently, this newsgroup has seen a deluge of Google Groups posters who
    >> apparently don't read or ignore Google Groups's own advice. I would
    >> encourage all Usenet regulars who become annoyed at this tendency to
    >> refer the offenders to this policy.

    > /me awaits the subsequent deluge of "You're not the boss of me!" posts.

    That would be fine with me.

    There are too many posts here to read everybody's anyway.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Feb 2, 2005
  4. Also sprach Abigail:

    > Tassilo v. Parseval () wrote on
    > MMMMCLXXIII September MCMXCIII in <URL:news:>:

    > @@ [*]
    > @@ Score: =-9999
    > @@ %Expires:
    > @@ %EOS
    > @@
    > @@ Postings made via google will end up in malformatted code snippets
    > @@ anyway, so I don't see any reason why I should not killfile them,
    > @@ regardless of netiquette.
    >

    > Same here, except that my entry reads:
    >
    > [*]
    > Score:: -9999
    > [ 656 lines deleted ]

    I still have the hope that one day google will fix the indentation of
    postings in which case they'd bump up the version number to 0.3 so I
    would see these postings again. If they don't fix that in 0.3, I'd have
    to adjust the scorefile entry accordingly, of course.

    Tassilo
    --
    use bigint;
    Tassilo v. Parseval, Feb 3, 2005
  5. Tim Hammerquist wrote:

    > Tim Hammerquist <> wrote:
    >> Paul Lalli <> wrote:
    >> > Recently, this newsgroup has seen a deluge of Google Groups posters
    >> > who apparently don't read or ignore Google Groups's own advice.
    >> > I would encourage all Usenet regulars who become annoyed at this
    >> > tendency to refer the offenders to this policy.

    >> /me awaits the subsequent deluge of "You're not the boss of me!" posts.

    > For the record, I'm really happy when I'm wrong on these sorts of
    > predictions. Keep it up!

    You DO realize that it just means the lusers never
    bothered to read the message at all, right? :)

    --
    Christopher Mattern

    "Which one you figure tracked us?"
    "The ugly one, sir."
    "...Could you be more specific?"
    Chris Mattern, Feb 4, 2005
  6. Paul Lalli

    Guest

    Re: Google Groups posters, please read

    > Recently, this newsgroup has seen a deluge of Google Groups posters
    who
    > apparently don't read or ignore Google Groups's own advice. I would
    > encourage all Usenet regulars who become annoyed at this tendency to
    > refer the offenders to this policy.
    >
    > Thank you for your time,
    > Paul Lalli

    I find it hard to believe that Google, being a company whose only
    products are software, and it's main piece of software a web based
    search engine, has not leveraged the power of Perl in some way. If
    that is the case, you would think that someone with some influence
    there has read postings from c.l.p.m and would have addressed the
    problem of mangled code and maybe even responded officially or even
    anonymously to why the interface is not Perl-friendly. Then again,
    maybe they have. Maybe some regular posters here work for or have
    worked for Google.

    What is the best alternative as far as news reading software? I have
    not yet used any that I am as happy with as Google as far as keeping up
    with old threads and relevant threads.

    I tried a current version of rn but found it to be a little complex,
    like learning vi from scratch. I tried writing my own Perl solution,
    which was great at reading the new posts as they came in, but I found
    that writing a decent interface for following threads was too much for
    me.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    wana
    , Feb 4, 2005
  7. Re: Google Groups posters, please read

    writes:
    > > Recently, this newsgroup has seen a deluge of Google Groups posters

    > who
    > > apparently don't read or ignore Google Groups's own advice. I would
    > > encourage all Usenet regulars who become annoyed at this tendency to
    > > refer the offenders to this policy.
    > >
    > > Thank you for your time,
    > > Paul Lalli

    > I find it hard to believe that Google, being a company whose only
    > products are software, and it's main piece of software a web based
    > search engine, has not leveraged the power of Perl in some way. If
    > that is the case, you would think that someone with some influence
    > there has read postings from c.l.p.m and would have addressed the
    > problem of mangled code and maybe even responded officially or even
    > anonymously to why the interface is not Perl-friendly. Then again,
    > maybe they have. Maybe some regular posters here work for or have
    > worked for Google.
    >
    > What is the best alternative as far as news reading software? I have
    > not yet used any that I am as happy with as Google as far as keeping up
    > with old threads and relevant threads.
    >
    > I tried a current version of rn but found it to be a little complex,
    > like learning vi from scratch.

    I use 'gnus' in Emacs.
    Arndt Jonasson, Feb 4, 2005
  8. Paul Lalli

    mjl69 Guest

    Re: Google Groups posters, please read

    > I tried a current version of rn but found it to be a little complex,
    > like learning vi from scratch. I tried writing my own Perl solution,
    > which was great at reading the new posts as they came in, but I found
    > that writing a decent interface for following threads was too much for
    > me.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.
    >
    > wana

    I wrote a fairly simple set of scripts that use Net:NNTP to post my message. If I am replying, I cut and past from Google.
    Do 'Show Options' and then 'Show Original' and cut & paste the message to file 'in.news'. Then this script to format:

    #!c:/perl/bin/perl.exe

    use strict;
    use warnings;

    my ($mid, $ref, $ng, $sub) = ('','','','');
    my @bod;
    open my $in, '<', './in.news';
    my $fr = 'mjl69 <>';
    while (<$in>)
    {
    if (/^message.*?id:\s*(.*)/i) {$mid = $1}
    if (/^references:\s*(.*)/i) {$ref = $1}
    if (/^newsgroups:\s*(.*)/i) {$ng = $1}
    if (/^subject:\s*(.*)/i) {$sub = $1}
    #if (not /^\S+:\s*.*/i) {push @bod, $_}
    last if /^\s*$/;
    }
    push @bod, $_ while (<$in>);
    close $in;
    if ($mid)
    {
    if ($sub !~ /re:/i) {$sub = 'Re: '.$sub}
    $ref = $ref.' '.$mid;
    s/^(.*)/> $1/ for @bod;
    }
    unshift @bod, "References: $ref\n\n\n";
    unshift @bod, "Subject: $sub\n";
    unshift @bod, "Newsgroups: $ng\n";
    unshift @bod, "From: $fr\n";
    die "error: no subject" if not $sub;
    open $in, '>', './in.news';
    print $in $_ for @bod;

    and then this script to send after editing 'in.news' with my response:

    #!c:/perl/bin/perl.exe

    use strict;
    use warnings;
    use Net::NNTP;

    my $nntp = Net::NNTP->new("your.news.server");
    $nntp->authinfo ( 'xxxx','xxxx');
    my ($mid, $ref, $ng, $sub) = ('','','','');
    my @bod;
    open my $in, '<', './in.news';
    my @out = <$in>;
    print "success!\n" if $nntp->post(@out);

    $nntp->quit;

    I'm sure there are a million better ways to do it, but it works for me.

    mjl
    mjl69, Feb 4, 2005