    Is it just me?

    GigaNews looks kind of pricey...

    Any recommendations for alternatives?
    PeteCresswell, May 19, 2005

  2. On 18 May 2005 17:08:26 -0700, PeteCresswell <> wrote:

    > Some months ago I tried, but couldn't get past ClickAndPay - desipite
    > swallowing reservations about opening up my credit card to automated
    > annual charges.
    >
    > Today I tried again. For starters, screens started out in English,
    > then changed to German and clicking "Back" aborted the entire process -
    > losing all data on the previous screen.
    >
    > Is it just me?
    >
    > GigaNews looks kind of pricey...
    >
    > Any recommendations for alternatives?

    <http://cust.readfreenews.net/> Still free. Fast, many, many groups. Good
    overall performance as far as I can judge. I'm not affiliated with them. Just a
    happy supscriber (yes, you have to subscrivbe. But they do not really want to
    know who you are :) )

    Barbara de Zoete, May 19, 2005

  3. PeteCresswell wrote:

    > Some months ago I tried, but couldn't get past ClickAndPay - desipite
    > swallowing reservations about opening up my credit card to automated
    > annual charges.

    > Today I tried again. For starters, screens started out in English,
    > then changed to German and clicking "Back" aborted the entire process -
    > losing all data on the previous screen.

    > Is it just me?

    Probably not, but I know tons of people that use NIN. As do I.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, May 19, 2005
  4. While the city slept, Barbara de Zoete () feverishly
    typed...

    > On 18 May 2005 17:08:26 -0700, PeteCresswell
    > <> wrote:

    [news servers since Individual.Net went subscription]
    >> Any recommendations for alternatives?
    >>

    > <http://cust.readfreenews.net/> Still free. Fast, many, many groups.
    > Good overall performance as far as I can judge. I'm not affiliated
    > with them. Just a happy supscriber (yes, you have to subscrivbe. But
    > they do not really want to know who you are :) )

    Just registered with them and subscribed to my normal groups. Looks ok!

    Since Individual.Net went subscription I've been using my ISP's (Pipex) news
    server which is ok but terribly slow. I post to a newsgroup then go and have
    a cup of tea and see if it has arrived yet!

    After registering with readfreenews (which is quick and painless!) I posted
    a test message to news:alt.test via my ISP's news server. It came up pretty
    much straightaway on readfreenews. Still not arrived on Pipex yet...

    I think I have just found my latest new news server! Thanks for the pointer
    Barbara! :)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --