(OT?) HTML Question

James Baker

Is there a microsoft newsgroup where I can post a question such as the
following?

I have a form that has a couple input boxes and a "file" input box as well.
Basically you enter two text values, browse to a file and hit submit. I
need to automate this, because I'm posting this data to another company's
website at regular intervals. I assume I can just convert the text boxes to
hiddens with hardcoded values (they won't change). But I need to convert
the "file" to a control that doesn't require input. It will be posting the
same file every time. Apparently I can't hardcode the value of the file
control, so how in the world do I go about this?

Thanks,
Jim

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

You can't programmatically invoke the input type=file command... this HAS to
be user-driven. You will need to find some way to do this (e.g. use a VBS
script to copy the file from one server to another, maybe via FTP or
\\fileshare\... you won't be able to automate a traditional upload via form
post without running third party tools.

James Baker

The problem is, I don't even need to use an input type=file control, because
I know the exact path of the file every single time. I've tried just
creating a hidden value with the filename in it, but it doesn't seem to have
the same behavior. Is there more to the input type=file control than just
finding the file and storing it in a text box?

Thanks,
Jim

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

The problem is, I don't even need to use an input type=file control,
because
I know the exact path of the file every single time.

The problem is, input type=file is the only way for a browser to upload a
file using an ASP page.
Is there more to the input type=file control than just
finding the file and storing it in a text box?

Yes!