[OT] IBM in talks to buy Sun

Lew

Larry said:
Perhaps you should read Tom's post before you attack me again.

Just when I unplonked you, you start on this nonsense.

Things from you that people quoted you were actually thoughtful and
contributory.
[unprovoked rudeness with no useful content]

Come on, man, lighten up.
I don't like your attitude. Please either remain civil or plonk me. Your
choice.

Or don't remain civil and don't plonk you, also his choice.
That's nonsense.

Oh, I see, only others have to be polite.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/03/17/technology/17cloud.php describes
how the kind of software used by the likes of Google to span databases
or search indices across large amounts of commodity hardware is being
open sourced and seeing increasingly widespread use. This should not be
the case unless I am right and you are wrong.

It was mentioned upthread that Google uses custom software including a custom
file system to do this, with an army to maintain the disk farm. Not all
organizations get the economy of scale to invent such things, although that
could change if Google were to market their solution.
MapReduce pwn5 j00 Arne! :)

Ooh, aren't we l33t?

Larry K. Wollensham

Lew said:
Just when I unplonked you, you start on this nonsense.

What's nonsense about it? I disagreed with Arne, and I backed up my
position with not one but two references, though you only quoted one of
them.
Or don't remain civil and don't plonk you, also his choice.

Not a legitimate one.
Oh, I see, only others have to be polite.

Turnabout is fair play.
It was mentioned upthread that Google uses custom software including a
custom file system to do this, with an army to maintain the disk farm.
Not all organizations get the economy of scale to invent such things

How fortunate that they don't have to, because someone else already did.
The software Google helped develop is open source. Amazon has been
providing similar capabilities as a turn-key service for a while. Sun
looks to be getting into this game and possibly providing turn-key
hardware solutions soon.