    vista?

    --
    conrad
    conrad, May 3, 2008

  2. conrad wrote:
    > What are the typical installers used under
    > windows vista and linux distributions?
    > I'd imagine with linux distributions it
    > would come down to the packaging
    > system used. How about under windows
    > vista?
    >
    > --
    > conrad

    I would say there are usually better ways than distribute installation
    package. I don't know specifics of your application, but I would suggest
    you to read a little about Java WebStart. It simplifies a lot of things
    - users don't have to download and install your package. They just click
    on the link and WebStart continues from that point. You also don't have
    to worry about reinstalling when you release new version - just upload
    new jar to repository and WebStart will detect condition and download
    new archive on next start of application. I use it for some of our
    internall apps and with great success;-)

    Regards,
    Leonard

    --
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    -- Leonardo da Vinci
    Leonard Milcin, May 3, 2008

  3. conrad

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 3 May 2008 07:04:40 -0700 (PDT), conrad <>

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/installer.html
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, May 3, 2008
  4. Leonard Milcin wrote:
    > conrad wrote:
    >> What are the typical installers used under
    >> windows vista and linux distributions?
    >> I'd imagine with linux distributions it
    >> would come down to the packaging
    >> system used. How about under windows
    >> vista?
    >>
    >> --
    >> conrad

    > I would say there are usually better ways than distribute installation
    > package. I don't know specifics of your application, but I would suggest
    > you to read a little about Java WebStart. It simplifies a lot of things
    > - users don't have to download and install your package. They just click
    > on the link and WebStart continues from that point. You also don't have
    > to worry about reinstalling when you release new version - just upload
    > new jar to repository and WebStart will detect condition and download
    > new archive on next start of application. I use it for some of our
    > internall apps and with great success;-)
    >
    > Regards,
    > Leonard

    While I really like JWS it has one serious limitation and that is the
    sand box. And it isn't the problem of signing the jar it's the problem
    of buying certificates. They are expensive and you have to keep
    renewing them. If your software doesn't need access the local disk or
    the web then it is a great system.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/linux/