OT: Installing MySQL with MSYS/MINGW

Bushido Hacks

Hey everyone,
I know this is off topic but I've been wondering how do I install MySQL
with MSYS on Windows from the source codes so I could run MySQL from a
thumbdrive, where I have MSYS installed.

I figured this would be the closest thing to posting a post for MySQL
considering I have plans on using PERL::DBI, and there is no group for
MySQL (If there was, it would be comp.databases.mysql)

Bushido Hacks

Tad said:
or it would be alt.comp.databases.mysql

Yeah, thats a possiblity. But that group doesn't exist either.

I searched the MySQL website for MSYS and MINGW and all I could find
was some unrelated Microsoft Access junk that I don't use.

I just want to know how I should install MySQL for MSYS
(http://www.mingw.org/). I'm new to all this UNIX stuff and I am very
interested in it. The only thing I do know how to do is make simple
C++ programs and unzip .tar.gz files.

I need to know if I should use the Windows version of MySQL without the
installer or if I should use the .tar.gz sources or the .zip windows
sources? How do I install source codes using "make". That kind of
important information.

Eric Schwartz

Bushido Hacks said:
I searched the MySQL website for MSYS and MINGW and all I could find
was some unrelated Microsoft Access junk that I don't use.

You didn't see the "MySQL on Win32" list? http://lists.msyql.com/win32
Or the "Install" forum? http://forums.mysql.com/list.php?11

If not, then you might want to invest in a decent screen-reader,
because the links to get there are right on top of the site. If you
did, then it's extremely rude to keep asking here instead of going to
a place that's actually constituted specifically to answer the kinds
of questions you're asking. As a rule, posters here don't respond
well to being treated rudely.

Maybe the exact question you want isn't already there, but if you want
to ask, that's where you should ask, not here. This is not a
newsgroup about MySQL, and it's inappropriate to ask here, not only
because it's off-topic, but because people who are experts on MySQL
are going to be on those lists, and are unlikely to be looking here.
I just want to know how I should install MySQL for MSYS
(http://www.mingw.org/). I'm new to all this UNIX stuff and I am very
interested in it. The only thing I do know how to do is make simple
C++ programs and unzip .tar.gz files.

So why not ask people who know about MySQL, instead of asking people
who know Perl? Why do you persist in asking in the wrong place, as if
somehow doing so is going to get you better answers than asking people
who know? I venture to guess that MySQL AB employees probably lurk on
the forums and lists, and they probably know better than anyone the
answers to the questions you ask.
I need to know if I should use the Windows version of MySQL without the
installer or if I should use the .tar.gz sources or the .zip windows
sources? How do I install source codes using "make". That kind of
important information.

That's not the kind of problem we deal with here. Frankly, you're
just making it harder on yourself by continuing to ask in CLPM instead
of making use of the best resources available to you. Good luck in
finding someone to help you here; your actions have made it unlikely,
but stranger things have happened.

-=Eric

Keith Keller

I need to know if I should use the Windows version of MySQL without the
installer or if I should use the .tar.gz sources or the .zip windows
sources?

You should ask in a MySQL group or mailing list (hint: see my other post
in this thread) instead of here.

--keith