OT- interesting article in the NY Times

Discussion in 'Java' started by Sol, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Sol

    Sol Guest

    New York Times
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/26/opinion/26HERB.html
    ----------

    January 26, 2004
    OP-ED COLUMNIST
    Education Is No Protection
    By BOB HERBERT

    The conference was held discreetly in the Westin New York hotel in
    Times Square last week, and by most accounts it was a great success.

    The main objections came from a handful of protesters who stood
    outside in a brutally cold wind waving signs that said things
    like "Stop Sending Jobs Overseas" and "Put America Back to Work." No
    one paid them much attention.

    The conference was titled "Offshore Outsourcing: Making the Journey
    Work for Your Corporation." Its goal was to bring executives up to
    speed on the hot new thing in corporate America, the shipment of
    higher-paying white-collar jobs to countries with eager, well-
    educated and much lower-paid workers.

    "We basically help companies figure out how to offshore I.T.
    [information technology] and B.P. [business process functions]," said
    Atul Vashistha, the chief executive of NeoIT, a California consulting
    firm that co-hosted the conference.

    Several big-name corporations had representatives at the conference,
    including Procter & Gamble, Motorola, Cisco Systems and Gateway.

    Because the outsourcing of white-collar jobs is so controversial and
    politically charged (especially in a presidential election year),
    there was a marked reluctance among many of the participants to speak
    publicly about it. But Mr. Vashistha showed no reluctance. He was
    quick to proselytize.

    "These companies understand very clearly that this is a very painful
    process for their employees and for American jobs in the short term,"
    he said. "But they also recognize that if they don't do this, they
    will lose more jobs in the future and they won't have an ability to
    grow in the future."

    He said his firm had helped clients ship about a billion dollars'
    worth of projects offshore last year.

    Noting that he is an American citizen who was born in India, Mr.
    Vashistha said he is convinced that outsourcing will prove to be a
    long-term boon to the U.S. economy as well as the economies of the
    countries acquiring the exported jobs.

    Whether it becomes a boon to the U.S. economy or not, the trend
    toward upscale outsourcing is a fact, and it is accelerating. In an
    important interview with The San Jose Mercury News last month, the
    chief executive of Intel, Craig Barrett, talked about the integration
    of India, China and Russia — with a combined population approaching
    three billion — into the world's economic infrastructure.

    "I don't think this has been fully understood by the United States,"
    said Mr. Barrett. "If you look at India, China and Russia, they all
    have strong education heritages. Even if you discount 90 percent of
    the people there as uneducated farmers, you still end up with about
    300 million people who are educated. That's bigger than the U.S. work
    force."

    He said: "The big change today from what's happened over the last 30
    years is that it's no longer just low-cost labor that you are looking
    at. It's well-educated labor that can do effectively any job that can
    be done in the United States."

    In Mr. Barrett's view, "Unless you are a plumber, or perhaps a
    newspaper reporter, or one of these jobs which is geographically
    situated, you can be anywhere in the world and do just about any job."

    You want a national security issue? Trust me, this threat to the long-
    term U.S. economy is a big one. Why it's not a thunderous issue in
    the presidential campaign is beyond me.

    Intel has its headquarters in Silicon Valley. A Mercury News
    interviewer asked Mr. Barrett what the Valley will look like in three
    years. Mr. Barrett said the prospects for job growth were not
    good. "Companies can still form in Silicon Valley and be competitive
    around the world," he said. "It's just that they are not going to
    create jobs in Silicon Valley."

    He was then asked, "Aren't we talking about an entire generation of
    lowered expectations in the United States for what an individual
    entering the job market will be facing?"

    "It's tough to come to another conclusion than that," said Mr.
    Barrett. "If you see this increased competition for jobs, the
    immediate response to competition is lower prices and that's lower
    wage rates."

    We can grapple with this problem now, and try to develop workable
    solutions. Or we can ignore this fire in the basement of the national
    economy until it rages out of our control.

    E-mail:
    Sol, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Sol

    Newsgroups Guest

    some years ago a big name in the computer world, Ed Yourdon, wrote a
    book "the decline and fall of the american programmer." Part of his
    reasoning for this decline and fall was and will be outsourcing.

    A few years after that Mr. Yourdon wrote another book "the rise and
    resurrection of the american programmer." In it he basically said he was
    wrong in his first book. Wrong in part because outsourcing doesn't work.
    The big problem is the language barrier. Communicating needs,
    requirements, functioning w/in a programming team... when all or part of
    that programming team cannot speak and write english sufficiently well,
    outsourcing is all of a sudden a problem.

    Newsgroups, Jan 31, 2004