OT: introduction to computing clusters?

skip

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I know of no better collection of brains
than this one. I'm starting to investigate clustering as a means to address
some growing computing needs at work, but know essentially zip about the
concept. If you know of a good introduction to computing clusters (Linux or
Solaris would be the software environment), I'd appreciate a reference.

Thanks,

Skip

Cameron Laird

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I know of no better collection of brains
than this one. I'm starting to investigate clustering as a means to address
some growing computing needs at work, but know essentially zip about the
concept. If you know of a good introduction to computing clusters (Linux or
Solaris would be the software environment), I'd appreciate a reference.
.
.
.
Bring back VMS.

Skip, do you do AIM or similar? Maybe we should chat ...

The first step I recommend is to be clear on the benefits
you're targetting. For you, is clustering about
A. HPC
B. reliability
C. server consolidation
D. manageability
....?

My answer, therefore: it depends. There *is* good writing on
clustering, but I've ignored it for over a year, and before I
catch up, I'd want to have a clear notion of your goals.

Paul McGuire

Cameron Laird said:
Bring back VMS.
That's creepy, I was just reminiscing about working on VAXen less than 12
hours ago!

One of my favorite bits of the VAX documentation was the book "VAX/VMS
Internals." Each chapter started with a related quote. I think the chapter
on the layers of security cited Tolkein's description of the construction of
the city of Gondor in concentric rings. But the best quote was one for the
chapter on memory, that quoted Joe Walsh:

"I was in the Eagles? Cool!"

-- Paul

Cameron Laird

.
.
The first step I recommend is to be clear on the benefits
you're targetting. For you, is clustering about
A. HPC
B. reliability
C. server consolidation
D. manageability
...?

My answer, therefore: it depends. There *is* good writing on
clustering, but I've ignored it for over a year, and before I
catch up, I'd want to have a clear notion of your goals.

Skip and I decided he wants "task farming" or "job scheduling",
roughly. My sources say that <URL: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/ >
is the place to start reading.