OT: Is it possible to install Personal Web Server on XP Home?

Visual Systems AB \(Martin Arvidsson\)

Hi!

I have ended up in a dilema, i bought a computer from HP, Windows Home Ed.
was installed as standard. I tried to upgrade to Pro, but under the
installation the computer just keapt on rebooting when trying to start the
updated windows. So i had to use the emergency cd to recover the os again.

Then i got a bright idea, hey lets install a new scratch version of Windows
Pro, but when starting the computer, a whole lota things that is HP specific
didn't work any more, such as the dvd writer, USB ports and so on.
AAAAARRRGH.

Now for my 1 bilion $ question, is it possible to somehow, install the PWS
on an XP Home ed?

Regards
Martin (A desperate swede)

John Timney \( MVP \)

No. But there should be no reason why you cant do a full reinstall and get
the appropriate drivers from the manufacturer. They wont only sell hardware
that works on XP home.

Also, if your after asp.net 2 on home then install Visal Web developer and
it comes with a web server, but it only allows local web connections. Also,
you could install mono for .net version 1.1 apps.

sloan

There is a way to hack it, but its a pain in the butt.

google "XP Home IIS" , and you'll find articles.

I'm not advocating it, I'm telling you it exists.

Can you fresh install Pro? And get the HP stuff to work.

With HP devices (they're flakey I know)... make sure you get the latest
drivers. THEY HAVE DRASTICALLY FIXED THE INSTALLS SINCE FALL 2004.

Ok.

When installing your devices, ... don't just "click next, click next , click
next". When you get to someting about USB drivers, you actually want to
override the defaults and USE MICROSOFT usb drivers, not the HP ones. This
is what kills you most times.
AGain, you have to look for it. If there are any "Advanced Settings"
buttons on the install, click and explore those.

I think you should be able to install from the PRO cd, if you have the HOME
cd ready to stick in,,, when the PRO cd says "I need to verify you have a
product to upgrade".